Viper Golf Ball Markers

G

Gotvenom 08

I had a suggestion to make some golf ball markers.In my other thread I made some buttons to go on those useless SS bars.He asked if those could be made into markers for on the green.I found some Stainless Steel,machined the OD,and then made a point on the bottom for holding it on the green.
I then etched the all familiar viper logos on them.This is the end product.

The size is 1.25 diameter,.250 thick and the point on bottom is about .25 long also.Is this to big of a marker?I have no clue since I don't play golf.What would be optimum size for an item like this.Thanks for any responses from any golfers out there.
The ones pictured aren't polished yet or painted obviously but I think that fangs logo staring at your opponents,could make them miss that putt.:D Thoughts?
You must be registered for see images attach

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say the diameter is fine but the thickness needs to be a little less. It should be thin enough so it would minimize impact if a ball were to roll over it.

I would also add that if you could incorporate it into a divot tool it would be even better. If not I'd prefer to have it without the point so it won't stab me when it's in my pocket.:ouch:

And yes, I would love to have a Viper ball marker!

Last edited:

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say the diameter is fine but the thickness needs to be a little less. It should be thin enough so it would minimize impact if a ball were to roll over it.

I would also add that if you could incorporate it into a divot tool it would be even better. If not I'd prefer to have it without the point so it won't stab me when it's in my pocket.:ouch:

And yes, I would love to have a Viper ball marker!

Ditto:2tu:

Rolstar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
size should be about the same as a nickel, but it has to be thin. in case a ball does roll over it. Some golfers use the magnet on their hat to hold it when not in use.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with most of the previous comments. The diameter is great...I like it large so that it is easy to find on the green. It is a little thick...probably could go half of what you've got. Some ball markers are very flat...I keep two in my pocket...one smaller that is very flat with no tine on the back, in case it is in somebody's line of putt...another that is much larger with a tine so that it will stay in place and is easily seen/found. I use it when my ball isn't anywhere close to another players line of putt. The tine shouldn't be real sharp, as it will stick your leg through your pants pocket. The length of your tine is perfect.

Tim...you are the greatest! Can you make an entire viper in your shop?

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those are awesome! Maybe next you can add a custom Viper divot repair tool to the collection to stay on the golf theme.

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great work! Diameter is fine, it should be about as thick as a dime or less (if possible). If you put a tine on it, round it off so that it doesn't poke someone in the leg.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really nice, but can't tell you how many markers I seem to lose/misplace by the end of a round.....it must be me, as I've lost a number of tee shots into the water/trees!!!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey if Tiger can lose a ball in a tournament when he is in contention (and ultimately wins it) anyone can. They had video for 2 angles and hundreds of witnesses and still lost it.

I would vote for mimicking the insert diameter and thickness of a green fixer magnetic insert and making it replaceable with one. I have plenty of those tools with the missing insert. Let me know if you need measurements as they seem to be all the same size.

OP
OP
G

Gotvenom 08

First off I want to say thank you to every one who has responded.I see there is no clear answer to what is the perfect size.I guess it is to every one's preference.But I did take the thickness down.Originally it was .250 thick.I went a bit thinner to about.100. Measured the thickness of a dime and it's about
.050 thick.So then I took it down to that.I really cant go much more than that.Because of the etching.If there is a few thousands irregularity in flatness.The etching is not consistent.And seeing that Stainless likes to move when machined.It was giving me some problems.But I think I figured it out and here is a pic of the 3 thicknesses.

I even personalized them.The pics shown are still not in there finished state.Needs to be painted and polished.But you get the idea.

And the tines are not sharp.I did break the edge so it will not poke your leg.I figure a viper is a in your face kind of car, so I really don't want to make this marker smaller.I'm making this marker a kind of in your face golf ball marker but not in an obnoxious way.And painted in the color of your car,just really personlizes it.

Just my .02

I am in the early stages of this project.As I go,I will tweek it in and perfect it.

Thanks again for all the input and feel free to comment.Perhaps I can make it even better than it is.

Lots of great ideas for viper items.Will it ever end?:D

OP
OP
G

Gotvenom 08

As usual Tim, they look great!

But not being a golfer, I have to ask. What is it used for?

Robert

To mark your ball on the green.When and if you hit the green that is!:D I don't golf I just make viper stuff.

Thanks
Tim

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The adjustments look great! I think you can make it any size that you want b/c if there's really a risk of a ball coming anywhere near it you will temporarily re-locate the ball mark (former caddie here).

Robert, you use the ball marks to mark your location on the green while the other players putt. It's a courtesy thing when being around the green.

OP
OP
G

Gotvenom 08

Was on a terror making these markers.Pics shown is the final count.Pics really don't do these justice.Just can't get the effect of the item.Must be me not knowing how to use the digital camera to the best extent.:(

I had to sand some of them to a brushed finish because the machine marks were deep.Others have a nice finish,so no need to polish.Less work,which is always good!:)

I think I may make some of these in the original thickness(.250)for hand outs. Always carry some thing viper related with me when I drive.When some one shows interest about the viper.Always great to have a gift for them.

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice!!! As much golf as I play, this would be awesome to have in my pocket! I'd like to have a set of three (one in my pocket, one in the bag and one to keep in my wallet so I always have the Viper with me). Where do I sign up?

OP
OP
G

Gotvenom 08

More trinkets to give away when I am driving!I made a few of these thicker ones(.250) with the added words on it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude