Viper GTS everyday driver?

OP
OP
C

cali-car-guy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
someone mentioned finding rear tires on ebay for 200 bucks are those Michelins or..............? and what do you guys recommend that will break the bank but not destroy it?
JLew

DR EVIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since it doesn't snow or rain, and if your near the coast you wouldn't even have to worry about A/C, I think you could daily a GEN I if you wanted to. A gen II? No problem.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$200 tires...?

Yeah. Count me in too!

I got a crazy deal on the OEM Pilot SX tires a while back - TireRack was closing them out and selling them for $90 a piece. I bought a couple sets, stuck them in giant garbage bags, filled them with nitrogen, and they're sitting in my garage. I figure I'll keep those to put back on the car if it ever goes to Barrett (or Mecham) when I'm old(er). Some good deals can be found, but I think the best deal currently is through JonB on the Toyo tires. Really can't beat the price he's charging for the standard tire sizes.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's kind of cool to downshift by simply closing my fingers into a fist. I have a short shifter and a cut down shift handle stud. Bottom of the handle is level with the console.

I put my tires in a bag with about 80% nitrogen, that way they don't balloon... ;)

SSR9999

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I drive my Viper everyday (unless i'm riding my motorcycle), but i'm very discriminate as to where i take my car to and park. For instance, i hardly take my Viper when i go out for dinner or to the movies, since i would be too paranoid to enjoy the meal or the movie. The key is when and where you take your Viper to, where you park it and your familiarity with the location. If i'm unsure about the place that i'm going to and what the parking situation is like, then i'd take my daily driver or my bike.

As far as whether the Viper can be comfortable on a daily basis, i would think that would depend on your body type and whether you can tolerate the nuances that comes with driving a Viper everyday. For me, i'm comfortable in the Viper and drive it everyday. It just depends on your body type and how much you're willing to tolerate (for lack of a better word) with driving a car that is essentially raw without any of the luxury conveniences.

The only time that i don't drive my Viper is when it rains/snow. Other than that i drive my Viper to my friend's homes, the gym (park really, really far away), occasionally the grocery store when it's late at night or if i'm going to be inside somewhere briefly.

Lastly, unlike others, driving the Viper on an almost everyday basis hasn't made it lose its luster for me. On the contrary, it just makes the addiction to driving my car more addictive.

HHI VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you are able to with space and budget, I would grab a cheap daily driver or "every other day" driver in case of adverse conditions and short runs to busy parking lots. I refuse to let "MY" Viper become a "grocery getter"! Too many idiots in the parking lots that just don't give a rats a$$!!! It seems it dosn't matter how far I park out of the way, somebody has to park next to me. "HELLLOOOO" I parked out here for a reason!!! Just my $.02 for what it's worth! :2tu:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a couple sets, stuck them in giant garbage bags, filled them with nitrogen, and they're sitting in my garage.

Off subject... The bag is oxygen permeable over time. Redo the nitrogen purge every year. ;)

On subject, per the comment about being 6ft 4in and taking longer drives. I too am that height and although I've spent some long rally days in the car all day, I end up by the end of that day with a cramp in my butt on the gas pedal side. Just no where to shift myself to - wiggle around etc. Only solution is to stop and get out and walk around. Smaller people or cruise control from Snake Oyl...? Dunno, I have or am neither!

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, I suggest mounting a 3" or so thick cushion on the transmission tunnel next to your right knee. It will keep your gas pedal leg upright so you can rest the odd butt-to-knee tendon and muscle stringy things that hurt when having to keep your right knee centered for so long without support.

When people see mine, they ask what its for. Then they get in and smile. I have one over the left door speaker grill also. Helps immensely in AX as well.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Being tall, I always wish my seat would tip father back. It feels like I am sitting very upright. When it was stock, I could move the seat only far foward enough where my knees almost hit the headlight switch, then I could tip the seat back rearward just a bit. But when I put in the 2" Northwind seat lowering kit, there's no more fore/aft seat adjustment, its just all the way back now. Consequently, the seat back wont tip any further rearward, as its already hitting the body shell, just in front of the rear wheel wells. The ergonomics took a second place to aesthetics in the design of this car. Shorter people probably dont think so, but if you are around 6'4", its a real bear to live with. But the "looks" is why I fell in love with it in the first place, not the ergonomics. So its just a weekend plaything, but not my choice for long trips. I still love this car, for its looks, and capabilities. So very unique, a classic. Did you know MT magazine listed it as among the 60 coolest cars in their history? They cite the 92-95 Viper, but show a picture of a GTS (r?)