Viper History Question... Gen II GTS vs Gen III Coupe

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was the 1996 Viper GTS, the first of the Gen II cars? Appearing before the Gen II RT/10?

When revamping the Viper from Gen I to Gen II, was the Gen II GTS built from the beginning to be a Coupe?

I posted this pic in another post.... it just looks like the Gen II GTS was built to be a coupe.... the way the lines flow and such..... the Gen III coupe just looks like the SRT10 with a top, maybe it is..... doesn't seem to flow.... will the coupe be ultimately compromised if it's a SRT10 with a top? would it have been better starting from coupe and moving to convetible?

You must be registered for see images attach

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
In reality, the GTS is just an RT-10 with a top too. If you tear down the back end and pull off the rear tub and windshield, you can quite literally make one into the other.

I suspect that the SRT Conv. and SRT coupe will be very much the same, if not even moreso than the RT and GTS. From the pictures, the coupe appears to share a trimmed version of the rear tub from an SRT. If so, a conversion from one to the other would be EASY. I suspect that DC did this, if for nothing other than the cost savings. Simply, Pop off the roll hoops, use their mounting hardware to make a roof support and tie it into the windshield rails, bingo, you have your coupe frame. add a roof and mount it to the previous top mounting hardware and new coupe top frame, swap side windows, fenders, and bumper, add a hatch in place of the trunk. Cut the tub short, carpet over the gastank up to the new bulkhead without roll hoop holes- and Viola! COUPE.

Personally, I still think the MetalCrafters hard top for the SRT which wasnt produced looked much better than the SRT Coupe. Perhaps its time for someone else to pick up where metalcrafters left off?

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW. After looking at some of the newer pics posted here lately about the new Coupe some thoughts started to emerge in the deepest realms of my mind about trading in my F.E.

After seeing your comparison pics, I just saved several thousand $$$. THANK YOU. Your GTS looks 10x better than the new coupe.

If both were orginally convertibles made into coupes, then the original design team did a much better job in the transformation. The rear end of the new coupe just does not flow at all.

The ducktail spoiler on the new coupe is way too abrupt and *****. Also, why does the rear quarter panel cover the tail lights? That looks hack and half-assed. The front actually looks quite nice, but when it comes to the rear end it looks as if the designers gave up.

Thanks once again. :2tu:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your had the choice between a brand new 96 GTS and a brand new SRT/Coupe for the exact same money, which would you choose.
1. To drive with enthusiasm?
2. To look at with pride?
Maybe this should be a poll?

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh my - I think I finally figured something out.....

The hatchback is not a hatchback.... the back glass is attached to the "trunk" section and THAT'S why their are so many lines / seams / pieces to the back end.....

In an attempt to retain "usability" and "low liftover" I think they Frankensteined the back end..... :eek: :eek: :eek:

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh my - I think I finally figured something out.....

The hatchback is not a hatchback.... the back glass is attached to the "trunk" section and THAT'S why their are so many lines / seams / pieces to the back end.....

In an attempt to retain "usability" and "low liftover" I think they Frankensteined the back end..... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Good catch! I did not see that until you pointed it out. Also agree without the seems looks much better.

I still like it though!!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Considering all the cars we took in trade that had back spoilers scuffed to the point of needing a repaint, I am glad they made the back end easier to lift over. In the long run there should be less scratches, scoring,etc. on the tail as compared to the original. This was one thing many noticed on the Concept Car, and I for one am glad it was retained.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think about how HUGE and unwieldy that trunk is going to be to lift - the SRT trunk is big enough and it doesn't include the glass.

The trunk on this car - and it's not a hatchback - INCLUDES the lock and license plate section....

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice side by side views!

I gotta say, seeing them side by side, I think I like it a little more than before.

You can clearly see where the new lines were taken from the old lines...some not as ****, but one line I do like a little better is the line of the rear qtr panel as it comes back.

On the orig GTS as the rear qtr panel comes back it is flat on top. The new one, that same line is arched as it comes back. That looks nice.

It's not the GTS-R that I personally whished it would have been, but it looks better seeing them side by side like above.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No scuffs or scrapes on my spoiler.Must have been done by some weakling that couldn't lift their six pack any higher.Could have been a ***** or idiot too.Anyway they didn't deserve the car and hopefully traded up to an srt neon. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Opps sorry guys.It could have been someone will a tall young lady bent over the transon and some buttons on her blouse scratched it up. GTS Bruce

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW. After looking at some of the newer pics posted here lately about the new Coupe some thoughts started to emerge in the deepest realms of my mind about trading in my F.E.

After seeing your comparison pics, I just saved several thousand $$$. THANK YOU. Your GTS looks 10x better than the new coupe.

If both were orginally convertibles made into coupes, then the original design team did a much better job in the transformation. The rear end of the new coupe just does not flow at all.

The ducktail spoiler on the new coupe is way too abrupt and *****. Also, why does the rear quarter panel cover the tail lights? That looks hack and half-assed. The front actually looks quite nice, but when it comes to the rear end it looks as if the designers gave up.

Thanks once again. :2tu:

Agree 110%. Great post.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Callaghen