Viper Maintnance?

troyrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to do some maintnace on my Viper and I had a couple of questions that I know you guys have the answer to. I am going to do the following things.

Oil/Filter Change (I'm good on this one)

Power steering flush (I'm good on this one)

Bleed the brakes (does any one have a step by step on this one)

Change the Fuel Filter (I noticed the nozzle connects the fuel line to the filter, but I can't see the other side of the filter. Does it screw on or is it a nozzle also? Any help, maybe step by step would be great?!)Also it is very hard to remove the fuel line from the the filter and tricks?

Flush the Clutch fluid (who do you do this?)

Change the rear differential fluid (Is there a drane plug and a filler?)

I usally do the work on my cars. I'm just a little nervouse with the Viper. Please forgive me for my ignorance!
You guys are always so willing to help people! I love being a member of the Viper community!!!
Thank You!

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Since you bought the best year and color I will throw in 2 cents.

Brakes - Bleeding them is like any other car, just start from the wheel farthest from the reservoir and work forward.

Fuel Filter - Buy and new one and you will see exactly how to put it in. You do not need any special tools it just takes some time to get the new one to seat on the fuel line. I know they make a tool for this but I did it without. I believe there is only one or two bolts holding the fuel filter in place.

prodiver

VCA Member
Reaction score
Unless someone has added a differential drain plug you will have to do it the hard way. You will need a suction gun (available at any auto parts store). Raise rear of car and remove right rear wheel to get to filler plug on differential. Remove plug and **** out old fluid and replace with new and use additive.

OP
OP
T

troyrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank You so much!

With the rear differential, if there is no drain plug, would sucking out be sufficent? Would that get out all the sediment, or would I have to unscrew the differential casing and then bolt it back and fill?

Also, does anyone know how to flush the clutch fluid?

Again, Thank you.

Also, does anyone have a service manuel they would be willing to sell me.

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get a Service Manual for the car. It will help you greatly on most of your DIY maintenance.

Clutch fluid: just use a turkey baster to remove old and put in new. Same for power steering fluid.

Differential fluid is a PITA, but suction works pretty well to get the old out. Hardest part for me was getting the new fluid back in without dribbling all over me, wasting the additive, etc. You'll need a 3/8 inch hex drive to get the plug out.

Steve-Indy says "Purdue, I change diff fluid regularly on our Vipers...the brake bleeder will work fine here, noting that I always change the fluid after it is warm. After suctioning all of the old fluid out, I put in some diff fluid as a "rinse", then remove it...then start fill process by adding the 4 oz. additive FIRST, then the diff fluid til full."

What about your coolant?

DanAuito

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some part numbers and prices here for you as well.

Brake fluid DOT 4 Part # 4549625AC 12 oz bottle x 3 list price $5.25 used for clutch slave cylinder as well.

Power steering fluid PART # 4883077 @ 1 quart list price $5.00

Differential Fluid 75W140 Part # 4874469 2 quarts $20.00 list price ea.
Posi Friction Modifier 4oz Part # 4318060AB

Transmission fluid Castrol Syntorqe part # 4874459 @ 4 quarts list price $15.30 ea.

Note depending on your trany Dextron 2 may be the fluid for you. Check year and tag on your trany housing!

Just called the local dealer with my loaded gun and told them I know the list prices (thanks Chuck Tator) they said they will sell it for that price.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Royal Purple synthetic diff fluid already has the friction additive...simplifies the fill...and is competitively priced.