Viper outruns the ZR1

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry computer crashed. Anyways THe car lasted one year and all I could get for it was 1,100 with a lot of bargaining and in trade for a Buick that had bad head gaskets. How much does C&D get to give a review on a car? Because that car was one of the worst lemmons that was ever made. Everything went wrong with that car. Parts would actually fall off while we were driving.
Ha, and if you have a Gen I or II you have Alliance derived parts on your car!

DJ'sviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If that is true, name them. Every car a the French made was a POS.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the 17.1 sec to 150 mph for the Zr1 is a misprint or some other kind of error unless the car was badly heat soaked. I have the C&D issue showing all 3 vettes going up against each other and the Zr1 got to 150 mph in 16.4 sec. 7/10th of a sec at 150 mph is like 15 car lenghts.....

I dont believe the article.

The Z06 gets to 150 mph in 17.3 sec, so w/ another 133 hp, the Zr1 could only manage 2/10th of a sec faster? I dont buy it. I love the Vipers, but 17.1 for the Zr1 to 150 mph is hogwash.

trumper Z06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
;) Hhmmm... Car & Driver's magazine's March issue.... page 33 shows:

.................0-60... 0-100 0-140.... 1/4 mile

Corette ZR1 3.6... 7.8 ......14.0 ..... 11.7 @127

Viper SRT10 3.6... 7.8 ....14.2 ..... 11.8 @128

Unless I missed it... No 0-150 times are shown in the article.

Last edited:

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
;) Hhmmm... Car & Driver's March issue.... page 33 shows:

0-60 0-100 0-140 1/4 mile

Vette ZR1 3.6 7.8 14.0 11.7 @127

Viper SRT10 3.6 7.8 14.2 11.8 @128

Unless I missed it... No 0-150 times shown in the article.

Trumper --

If you follow the link to C&D's online version of the article (posted further above), the artciel has links to downloadable test and data sheets from the comparison. One set of the files is the actual handwritten test data taken by the C&D test drivers during testing and the 0-150 mph numbers are listed there.

trumper Z06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trumper --

If you follow the link to C&D's online version of the article (posted further above), the artciel has links to downloadable test and data sheets from the comparison. One set of the files is the actual handwritten test data taken by the C&D test drivers during testing and the 0-150 mph numbers are listed there.

:D Took some "digging" but I found the "test sheets",

THANKS !!!

;) While looking up this info... I ran across C&D's 5/15/08 results for the Viper ACR and the Z06 Vette.

Interesting numbers:

0-140...... 14.8 (ACR), vs, 15.3 (Z06),

0-150..... 17.5 (ACR), vs. 17.9 (Z06).

The Z06 took 2.6 seconds going from 140 to 150.
Viper's ACR took 2.7 seconds to reach the 150 mph.

The ACR would have more Aero drag... but it still seems that a 638 hp. ZR1 wouldn't accelerate slower than a 505 hp. Z06...

A ZR1's time... 14.0 @ 140mph. then 17.1 @ 150mph. = 3.1 seconds for additional 10 mph.

Compared to the Z06 only needing 2.6 seconds !!!

:drive:
Having run with ZR1's @ VIR, I can assure you the ZR1 does accelerate quicker down the back straight than my Z06...

Cya @ the track,

Trumper

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
C&D are simply a bunch of idiots. I feel sick in my stomach everytime i hear their biased/stupid backwards opinions. What a bunch of losers. Ive never known anyone to degrade cars as much as the rags. Seriously, they have a damn Murciealgo and a Viper, and they for reasons i cannot yet understand are alll over the ZR1. Im going to go take a advil

Grab a couple of Midols too...quick.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car & Driver Dec 08

Z51: 0-60 4.1 sec, 1/4 mile 12.4 @ 117 mph, 0-150.. 22.2 sec

Z06: 0-60 3.6 sec, 1/4 mile 11.7 @ 124 mph, 0-150.. 17.3 sec

Zr1: 0-60 3.4 sec, 1/4 mile 11.5 @ 128 mph, 0-150.. 16.4 sec

The non Acr Gen 4 is a better comparison for the Zr1 b/c the Gen 4 non ACR is not further designed for road course racing, as the ACR is. The ACR is not designed for straight line performance as is the Zr1. If you were to remove the aero package of the ACR thereby eliminating significant drag, and keep all the other mods (weight reduction, stickier tires, stiffers suspension) the ACR would defeat the ZR1 in a race from 0-205 mph.

But if anyone believes it takes a Zr1 17.1 sec to get to 150 mph, I can recommend a bank you should buy stock shares in.:eater::D

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just as a note you really cant take times run from two different days, years, type of weather, surfaces etc and compare em and then pick a winner. This current test by C&D was run on the same day, same weather, drivers, surface etc so its much more relavant that picking out the best times for either from different days and determining the winner. In this "head to head" test the Viper was faster to 150mph given both cars were subject to the same conditions etc. Head to heads are better because you can control some of the variables unlike testing the cars on seperate days, surfaces, weather etc.

Someone on CF mentioned that maybe the 3.1 sec between 140-150mph for the ZR1 included a shift? These cars are close and I wouldnt be surprised if you see another test where the ZR1 comes out faster. This is just one test but it proves that at least up to 150mph they are very close and the winner would come down to driver. Im more interested in seeing owners of both line up on a highway roll, in Mexico, and see where the chips fall. I believe the ZR1 would pull the non ACR Viper a bit as speeds approach 180-200mph. I believe they had a test at Nardo[?] where the ZR1 absolutely beat the Viper up top and had a much faster top speed. That was also a head to head I believe so take that for what its worth.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just as a note you really cant take times run from two different days, years, type of weather, surfaces etc and compare em and then pick a winner. This current test by C&D was run on the same day, same weather, drivers, surface etc so its much more relavant that picking out the best times for either from different days and determining the winner. In this "head to head" test the Viper was faster to 150mph given both cars were subject to the same conditions etc. Head to heads are better because you can control some of the variables unlike testing the cars on seperate days, surfaces, weather etc.

Someone on CF mentioned that maybe the 3.1 sec between 140-150mph for the ZR1 included a shift? These cars are close and I wouldnt be surprised if you see another test where the ZR1 comes out faster. This is just one test but it proves that at least up to 150mph they are very close and the winner would come down to driver. Im more interested in seeing owners of both line up on a highway roll, in Mexico, and see where the chips fall. I believe the ZR1 would pull the non ACR Viper a bit as speeds approach 180-200mph. I believe they had a test at Nardo[?] where the ZR1 absolutely beat the Viper up top and had a much faster top speed. That was also a head to head I believe so take that for what its worth.
It would be an interesting race. Again, if u remove the weight from the ACR aero kit and the big air brake of a rear wing, I think u have a good race to top end. The lower gearing of the Viper is an advantage over 150 mph. But the torque to overcome air drag is an advantage for the Zr1. However, stock vs stock, the Vette wins. But I still think 7/10 of a sec difference is pure hogwash, I dont care what the weather conditions are. All the Zr1 times are in line with all other Zr1 test data except the 17.1 sec to 150 mph. The guys at C&D screwed up, plain and simple or there was something wrong w/ the Vette. Guys can cling on to this one test all they want, but I guarantee you, if a stock Viper, any stock Viper, lines up w/ a Zr1 with this latest test data in mind, you are in for a very disappointing day.

But really, what difference does it make? Most Vipers are not stock, and Vipers are better road course cars, better looking rarer, and exotic...and you can take a Viper up to 1500 rwhp w/ f/i...do that to a Vette and you got pieces flying all over the highway.:D

Last edited:

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be an interesting race. Again, if u remove the weight from the ACR aero kit and the big air brake of a rear wing, I think u have a good race to top end. The lower gearing of the Viper is an advantage over 150 mph. But the torque to overcome air drag is an advantage for the Zr1. However, stock vs stock, the Vette wins. But I still think 7/10 of a sec difference is pure hogwash, I dont care what the weather conditions are. All the Zr1 times are in line with all other Zr1 test data except the 17.1 sec to 150 mph. The guys at C&D screwed up, plain and simple or there was something wrong w/ the Vette. Guys can cling on to this one test all they want, but I guarantee you, if a stock Viper, any stock Viper, lines up w/ a Zr1 with this latest test data in mind, you are in for a very disappointing day.

But really, what difference does it make? Most Vipers are not stock, and Vipers are better road course cars, better looking rarer, and exotic...and you can take a Viper up to 1500 rwhp w/ f/i...do that to a Vette and you got pieces flying all over the highway.:D

Agreed. I heard Malu[?] ran a intake and tune Z06 in an 08 Viper and lost on a highway pull. If true then the ZR1 should beat the Viper no question on a highway pull. I think 0-150mph with cars of this power will always be close. Highway pulls or roll races will show whos boss. All this speculation is driving me nuts. Wish some of the owners would get together and settle up with a nice, non ego driven set of runs to see what these two great cars can do to each other.:drive:

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, what a bunch of magazine racing going on in here. I have a better idea, put away the magazines and go drive your cars at the track and post your own results. No need to argue about stupid magazine tests. This, coming from a car magazine writer (me). I still prefer to do my own racing.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey anyone going to CA speedway this weekend (dragstrip)? I want to run the car but my tires are really marginal. Who knows maybe a ZR-1 will show up, doubt it, but I'd love to run one.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed. I heard Malu[?] ran a intake and tune Z06 in an 08 Viper and lost on a highway pull. If true then the ZR1 should beat the Viper no question on a highway pull. I think 0-150mph with cars of this power will always be close. Highway pulls or roll races will show whos boss. All this speculation is driving me nuts. Wish some of the owners would get together and settle up with a nice, non ego driven set of runs to see what these two great cars can do to each other.:drive:
Yeah, the Z06 and the Gen 4 are close, but these results seem odd. What speed did they start at? What gear was Malu and what rpm was he at when he started? The Gen 4 stretches out its lead significantly over the Z06 at higher speeds. W/out knowing the rwhp of the Z06 and these other variables, the Z pulling away in this one race doesnt mean much. When the Gen 4 first came out, a member posted video of him and a Z racing (in Mexico of course), and the GEn 4 won 2 out of 3, and when the Gen 4 won, he won very convincingly, but like 5 cars or so before they quit. But when he started at the wrong rpm in the second race, he lost. So...there u have it.:dunno:

trumper Z06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, what a bunch of magazine racing going on in here. I have a better idea, put away the magazines and go drive your cars at the track and post your own results. No need to argue about stupid magazine tests. This, coming from a car magazine writer (me). I still prefer to do my own racing.

;) Sixty to 130 mph. doesn't do much... both these cars are designed for a road course.

Having run & instructed @ Viper Days (VIR & SEBRING)... both the C5 and C6 Z06's are competitive with the Vipers.

I haven't had the opportunity to run with the latest 600hp Vipers... but I expect the results between the latest 600 hp. SRT-10 and a C6 Z06 to still be driver dependent !!!

:cool: Best comparision is... head to head...

Cya @ the track,

Trumper

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, the Z06 and the Gen 4 are close, but these results seem odd. What speed did they start at? What gear was Malu and what rpm was he at when he started? The Gen 4 stretches out its lead significantly over the Z06 at higher speeds. W/out knowing the rwhp of the Z06 and these other variables, the Z pulling away in this one race doesnt mean much. When the Gen 4 first came out, a member posted video of him and a Z racing (in Mexico of course), and the GEn 4 won 2 out of 3, and when the Gen 4 won, he won very convincingly, but like 5 cars or so before they quit. But when he started at the wrong rpm in the second race, he lost. So...there u have it.:dunno:

I was told that in those videos the Z06 in question lost because it had some problems. When they ran after the problems were fixed the Z06 won. Maybe Malu can elaborate if he feels like.