Viper People I need help

toohot4u

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saw this 2002 RT RED for sale at a dealership in Ohio Cin. The salesman sent me pic and the car from the pics look OK. If I was to buy it I would have to travel there and see it myself. Any way I notice the advertisement says the car has only 2444 miles on it. However, when I look at the Carfax it says the car has 19000 miles onit. I spoke to the dealer and he said it was some mistake by the people at Carfax. He also said this was a one owner car. I dont trust dealerships. Is there anyway I can confirm the actual miles on this car. Does anyone live in Ohio Cin who could check it out for me.:2tu:

Here is the web link Cars for Sale: 2002 Dodge Viper RT/10 Roadster in Cincinnati, OH 45242: Convertible Details - 297549390 - AutoTrader.com

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whatever you do, DO NOT BUY IT unless the dealership gets Carfax to make the correction to their reports. This goes for all other sites like Carfax as well.

It is a complete pain in the ass to get this stuff fixed. I had a Corvette (I know, I know) that I took a hit on because the DMV keyed in the wrong mileage one year during my emissions test. Because of some *****'s typo, Carfax showed a possible odometer fraud. I tried getting it taken care of, but it was huge hassle and I found an E55 that I really wanted, so I just took the hit on the vette.

Just giving you a heads-up before it causes you heartache down the road if you try to sell it.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the source of the mileage report? That makes a difference. Have the dealer send you all the paperwork, for instance, is there MVD inspection reports? At the end of the day, if you plan to drive the car, then the miles won't matter that much. I have seen plenty of 20k mile cars that look like new and are maintained well. Make sure it has all the documentation. Then, price it as if it had 20k on it.

OP
OP
T

toohot4u

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am also thinking that this car could have had a re-built or new engine. I dont think I will mess with it.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am also thinking that this car could have had a re-built or new engine. I dont think I will mess with it.

Why would you think that? Do you know anything about what would cause a rebuild? Do you know anything about the change in oil pans and what years are more prone to oil starvation leading to a rebuild?

Wait! perhaps the previous owner was to cheap to put the expensive premium fuel in the viper so he ran the lower octaine gas and detonated the motor.:rolaugh:
(j/k from your "gas off the hook" thread);)

rudedawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey i'm a service manager for CDJ in NY,I'll be happy to check it out in both auto-check and chryler web connect for you. PM me the full Vin !!!

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the source of the mileage report? That makes a difference. Have the dealer send you all the paperwork, for instance, is there MVD inspection reports? At the end of the day, if you plan to drive the car, then the miles won't matter that much. I have seen plenty of 20k mile cars that look like new and are maintained well. Make sure it has all the documentation. Then, price it as if it had 20k on it.

It's not the fact if it actually has 20,000 miles or not. Like you said, if you're gonna drive it, it doesn't matter. Hell, Mine had 22k on it when I bought it last year, and I have just over 30k now.
The problem is if it really has 2k and Carfax says it has 20k, as soon as you register it and the DMV reports 2k, Carfax will then flag it as an odometer fraud car.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If it has a rebuilt engine that was done by Arrow under warranty, that is actually a plus. The more you read on here, you will see that people pick up power from an Arrow rebuild and generally don't have any problems after that. They are very meticulous (much more so than the original build) when they put one back together.
I had an Arrow rebuild done at 27k and you can bet that if I ever sell the car, I will disclose that. Hell, if the car has 35k on it and the better than new engine only has 8k, that's a plus in my book.

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saw this 2002 RT RED for sale at a dealership in Ohio Cin. The salesman sent me pic and the car from the pics look OK. If I was to buy it I would have to travel there and see it myself. Any way I notice the advertisement says the car has only 2444 miles on it. However, when I look at the Carfax it says the car has 19000 miles onit. I spoke to the dealer and he said it was some mistake by the people at Carfax. He also said this was a one owner car. I dont trust dealerships. Is there anyway I can confirm the actual miles on this car. Does anyone live in Ohio Cin who could check it out for me.:2tu:

Here is the web link Cars for Sale: 2002 Dodge Viper RT/10 Roadster in Cincinnati, OH 45242: Convertible Details - 297549390 - AutoTrader.com

Looking at the CarFax it looks like the emission inspection agent typed in 19,000 is stead of 1,900 miles.

OP
OP
T

toohot4u

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would you think that? Do you know anything about what would cause a rebuild? Do you know anything about the change in oil pans and what years are more prone to oil starvation leading to a rebuild?

Wait! perhaps the previous owner was to cheap to put the expensive premium fuel in the viper so he ran the lower octaine gas and detonated the motor.:rolaugh:
(j/k from your "gas off the hook" thread);)

Put yourself in my shoes, wouldnt you question the conflicting mileage? I would think any perspective buyer weather a toyota or Viper would question this. I dont need to know what years are prone to oil starvation or what causes a rebuild. The simple fact that you have conflicting mileage reporting raises red flags.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put yourself in my shoes, wouldnt you question the conflicting mileage?

Yes, I would question the Mileage. But your questioning the condition of the motor which should be inspected and evaluated separatly. Before purchasing my viper I spent a day with it; driving And on a lift with a viper mechanic thoroughly going over the mechanical state of the vehicle. I advise that anyone do the same.