viper performance!! help

willworkforvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My vipers performance is perfect....yet when it gets around 160 it seems it stays around there and it seems like there is no more kick to get it to 190 mph top speed ... Anyone have any idea what I could do maybe a tune up just to keep it in good condition or is 160 top speed?? Just wondering how can I get more speed believe me it's got plenty of power just looking for upgrades and help. I'm a new owner so any info or anything I should do to my 2003 dodge viper would be so helpful thanks!!:)

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should be able to run up through 4th gear pretty fast. Unfortunately, when you hit 5th, these cars fall on their faces.
I went to 3.33 rear end which helps it pull through 5th and actually makes 6th a usable gear as well.
If you're staying N/A, I would go with 3.55's though.

Supratt6s

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard both about 3.55's and 3.73's, what's the biggest difference between to the two? Also for the first two gears of those gears what are their top speeds?

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard both about 3.55's and 3.73's, what's the biggest difference between to the two? Also for the first two gears of those gears what are their top speeds?

Search on posts by 345s-bspinnin from October 2010. He published a series of charts on "Gears vs speeds vs rpm". With the stock rear end gearing, the Gen III hits 60 mph in 1st at 6100 rpm, and 90 mph in second at 6100 rpm (calculated).
I went with the 3.73 gears in my '05 and I'm totally happy with that choice (naturally aspirated). Of course, since it is a 21% reduction in gear ratio, speeds at any rpm are lower by 21%. But, the car accelerates quicker with the added torque multiplication, and 6th gear becomes very usable for the highway, turning 1600 rpm at 70 mph.

Last edited:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mopar Steve:2996375 said:
Your top speed will be in fifth gear not sixth.

+1, the only way I see you maxing out at 160 is if you are in 6th

Those suggesting gears, Approx how much would the Top speed be increased with diff than stock gears???

Supratt6s

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Search on posts by 345s-bspinnin from October 2010. He published a series of charts on "Gears vs speeds vs rpm". With the stock rear end gearing, the Gen III hits 60 mph in 1st at 6100 rpm, and 90 mph in second at 6100 rpm (calculated).
I went with the 3.73 gears in my '05 and I'm totally happy with that choice (naturally aspirated). Of course, since it is a 21% reduction in gear ratio, speeds at any rpm are lower by 21%. But, the car accelerates quicker with the added torque multiplication, and 6th gear becomes very usable for the highway, turning 1600 rpm at 70 mph.

Thanks! I found it! Great info!

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, first off remember 5th gear not 6th.

Second, gear ratios. 3.45 is what I have. Love it. If I were to be any lower the rpm would be to high on the highway. If it were any higher, it would not give me enough kick in the pants.

Remember, by changing ratios you launch quicker as the rpm builds faster. This will also reduce the top end of each gear, but will allow you to run the next gear sooner. If you really have an itch for top speed get one of the newer trannies that Viper Parts of America is currently selling. It is a 2010 tranny that has a revised top gear for max top speed.

Why you so hooked on top speed anyways? :eater:

:D

OP
OP
willworkforvipers

willworkforvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
top speed

It's not that I'm hooked on top speed i just like going really fast and watching people like corvette owners watch me dissapear. I was racing a guy who thought his ls1 corvette was godly so we took it to the highway and from. 20 mph roll I never saw him again I was gone but I was trying to reach top speed and I was in 6th it why it ran around 160 tops. Either way lots of fun watching his man hood be taken while his gf was in the passenger seats :D

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man hood be taken? Seriously you put alot of people in danger doing top speed runs on public roads. I can see short burst, but *** is the point of going any higher than 160?

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: top speed

Either way lots of fun watching his man hood be taken while his gf was in the passenger seats :D

LOL ! Us > Them because we decided to spend our money on a different car. Never have understood that thought process; but, good for you!
I'm not that experienced; but, on the track (roadcourse) who is faster tends to be purely based on how much money you have to spend on mods, tires, brakes, and track day fees. The one with the most money (+ some talent) usually wins.

No matter what, it is all fun ! (and I admit to liking passing Corvettes and Porsches)

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
unless you have gears 6th is useless (with the exception of gas milage for trips of course) and to get a proper 5th run bring 4th gears rpms up to peak (i.e. when the red shift light comes on)

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP, you do realize flooring your car from 20 and shifting gears takes almost no skill. congrats.

And my car is a lot faster then yours so i guess by your logic i just took your manhood.

OP
OP
willworkforvipers

willworkforvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yea your car would blow mine out of the water I really would like to eventually own one exactly like yours. Yes by my logic you would take my man hood if we were to race because you would pass me and dissapear haha your car is very nice.

OP
OP
willworkforvipers

willworkforvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
speedracer

Lets see I endangered no ones life except mine and the guys in the corvette that night it's not like were racing through rush hour traffic. Also by man hood be taken he thought he was Alfa male and his car was unbeatable so by man hood be taking was him talking crap out of his window to me and bragging to his gf how he would smoke me and then him getting dominated in a race. I do not condone street racing just sometimes it's either man up or back down and I wasnt about to back down vipers are where it's at so I stand up for what I believe in like I've said in numerous forum post of mine.

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: speedracer

Lets see I endangered no ones life except mine and the guys in the corvette that night it's not like were racing through rush hour traffic. Also by man hood be taken he thought he was Alfa male and his car was unbeatable so by man hood be taking was him talking crap out of his window to me and bragging to his gf how he would smoke me and then him getting dominated in a race. I do not condone street racing just sometimes it's either man up or back down and I wasnt about to back down vipers are where it's at so I stand up for what I believe in like I've said in numerous forum post of mine.

Good luck. I remember being your age as it was not long ago for me. Sit back and read some more, you're going to have to get a lot more experience driving, on closed courses, before you will be safe going those speeds.

Alpha.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i agree and see nothing wrong with street racing if done safely. but i dont go racing every stupid corvette, civic, mustang, camaro on the street that wants to play... sometimes knowing you can beat the guy easily and not having to prove it is even better. let the guy drool while you drive away :)

OP
OP
willworkforvipers

willworkforvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
agreed

Yes I do have Alot of learning to do and I plan on learning Alot and I want to get in some driving schools and practice on courses and maybe even get Hooked up with a racing team I'm really good at driving and really want to better myself. Also yes I do not race every guy out there only a few races I've been in 3 to be exact one was against a srt-4 neon with stage 2 turbo it was pretty quick but at 4th gear everytime I was gone. The other 2 races were corvettes and I only street race safely it was 2 am and on the interstate and no one was out it was a long flat stretch and we had no one to fear injuring except ourselves I will learn Alot more in the future hopefully but yea at those speeds it is scary 160 was enough for me but I just wanted to know overall how to go faster If there was ever a need 2

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm sure that most of us really do understand what you meant. I for one was just giving you some cr@p in a friendly way, because your post brings to mind the common folks' assumption that a Viper is just purchased to be a symbol of one's manhood. From your post and your accent (texter grammar) I assumed that you are a 20-something and fit the assumed stereotype to a T. I'm even betting that your Viper is yellow, or maybe red. (I can never remember which one it was that is faster than mine. :D )

All kidding aside, I have found that after I did a few roadcourse track weekends, I have no great desire to go highly illegal speeds out on public roads, even if they are relatively deserted. ( There is always that unexpected situation. ) I wish that they had HPDE when I was a lot younger; but, maybe I would have ended up spending all my extra money on entry fees, tires, and brakes instead of investing it for early retirement !

OP
OP
willworkforvipers

willworkforvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
aztvr

Yes I do fit the stereotype. The reason I use Alot of txting language is because I am on my phone most of the time never on the computer im always on the go but this post wasnt meant to endanger anyone or anything just asking questions like vca members encouraged me to I'm just learning more about vipers

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
willworkforvipers,
Street racing is just plain stupid as you are putting yourself and others at risk if you are driving excessive speeds on public roads. If you want to prove your manhood, why not go to the nearest track and show your corvette owners what you can do on a road course or a drag strip. Unless you are near the Bonneville Salt Flats and Ky is not, any place else is just foolishness.
PAVenomRT/10

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The posting policies here frown upon illegal street racing. I suggest that the topic gets back on track on how to get more top speed. Otherwise I will shut down and delete this thread.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery