Viper PURIST, what is the line/definitiion

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure why we're putting down the Gen5 for things it's required to have. Isn't this a "General Discussion" or non-viper topic about politics?? What was SRT supposed to do, build a Gen5 that wouldn't be street legal.

Don't like launch control, don't turn it on.

Since when did the Gooberment require launch control?

As a long time Viper owner I still get a kick out of telling supposed car people that my Viper doesn't have a computer making all the decisions for me. They just look at me kind of slack jawed and say "wow, but how can that be?":smirk:

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since when did the Gooberment require launch control? [\QUOTE]

They don't, but as mentioned they required the technology to make launch control possible so why not simply add the button and make the car that much more marketable. Just because the button is there doesn't mean you have to use it, it's not on by default.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, forget about the cost and additional maintenance aggravations. How many buttons are there and how long do they have to be held to turn them off every time I drive the car? Wouldn't it have been cooler if SRT would have designed the nannies so a relay or fuse could be removed without any other affect other than making the Viper a complete driver's car again. Dodge would have.

I don't know about the Gen5, I know in my GT500 I turn the key (yes, it still uses a key-turn to start, amazing) and press the traction button twice quickly & it's off. I also have an SCT tune for the over-boosting I run, it too has a traction defeat that can make the system be off by default. I would think if a mustang can be this simple, a Viper can, and hopefully with tuning options in the future you won't even have to make that great effort to press button ... twice.

And this is only for the stability system, for launch, you don't press a defeat button, it's off by default. On the GT500 again, it's depress the clutch, set the RPM and press the launch button, floor it and side step the clutch when the tree counts down. Something to not use IMO, but hardly a complaint.

As for maintenance, it has a warranty, and I'v never heard of a stability system issue when it comes to perf cars, vs everything else that can break when people are really driving them. As for price, it is what it is, you can afford it or not, but I'll never believe the Gen5 would be cheaper without the systems on it, it's forecasted at barely more than the last Gen, it's so much car for the $ as it is.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since when did the Gooberment require launch control?

As a long time Viper owner I still get a kick out of telling supposed car people that my Viper doesn't have a computer making all the decisions for me. They just look at me kind of slack jawed and say "wow, but how can that be?":smirk:

Ummm, duh, lol. Dude, you brag to people about your driving prowess, I'm assuming you don't really, but OK, well in a Gen5 you can brag about it by just saying, "oh, and I turn off the stability control and never use the launch control". There, again problem solved, not being a ******, I'm just sayin, it's still uncontrolled with a movement of your finger.

Launch control is like a friggin cig lighter in a car to me, never used one, toss it, but I don't complain that it makes the car cost more, nor go out of my way to say the Viper doesn't have a cig lighter, or cup holder, or .. frankly most people don't get it any way.

And again don't get me wrong, I miss my Gen3, hec I miss my RT/10, wish I hadn't 'upgraded' to the Gen4 half the time as it's not as raw feeling. But ... I'm strongly considering the Gen5, I think it's perf is going to be insane, and I can turn off what I don't use, so no real "no-go's" for me with it. I'm by no means sold on it, but excited about the possibilities.

Just seems we Viper guys keep running these looong whiney threads about how pretty the engine covers are, or a button that has to be pressed to not have a nanny, or .... I'm just not getting it, I don't know if I'm too old or too young, or whatever.

I do know I'm probably not long for my Gen4. I hope I go Gen5 by it living up to my perf expectations and going to the coupe and tracking this one even more than my past ones. If it doesn't then I'll be probably looking at an older one, or another car all together ... which, after 15 yrs with Vipers would really ****.

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not bragging to people, just enlightening them as to the rawness of the Viper as we know it.

Bottom line- does L/C add to the driving experience or detract from it? I say the later.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know about the Gen5, I know in my GT500 I turn the key (yes, it still uses a key-turn to start, amazing) and press the traction button twice quickly & it's off. I also have an SCT tune for the over-boosting I run, it too has a traction defeat that can make the system be off by default. I would think if a mustang can be this simple, a Viper can, and hopefully with tuning options in the future you won't even have to make that great effort to press button ... twice.

And this is only for the stability system, for launch, you don't press a defeat button, it's off by default. On the GT500 again, it's depress the clutch, set the RPM and press the launch button, floor it and side step the clutch when the tree counts down. Something to not use IMO, but hardly a complaint.

LOL And that doesn't annoy you? So every time you get in the car you have to press the traction control button twice quickly?

As for warranty, maybe it is and maybe it isn't. Nevertheless, I wrench my own cars, that's part of the fun. The annoying part is having to accomidate additional electronics or a stupid sensor either by working around it or making sure the replacement part is "nanny compatible." Some good examples are the tire pressure sensors, ABS and airbags.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang