Viper RT/10

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
If you're looking for comfort and drivability go with the Vette. The viper is a race car and was designed with perfomance in mind. The engineers didn't even bother to work in a left foot dead petal. As for driving 200+ miles, yes it is possible but, unless you're used to driving all day, you will be very sore the next day. Of course it would be that good kind of sore though.

nutsRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought mine new in Portland,Or and drove back to San Diego in a day and a half. 1130 miles of pure driving pleasure. Just returned from Vegas last weekend 311 miles one way. You'll get your stopping breaks every 250 miles to fill up with gas..

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to agree with Kung & Nuts (some group I'm getting myself involved with
laugh.gif
). Other than the issue of driving a roadster (wind, bugs dust, etc.) for an extended drive (universal convertible/roadster issue), my RT is a delight to drive! I also have a M/B SUV and, frankly, my wife and I find the ML a bit MORE tiring to drive than the Viper! On beautiful days I think you'll find 200 miles (probably 2.75 hours in western NYS) to be just a warm up, if you really enjoy driving! I have NEVER been physically sore after a long drive! Exhilarated and visually tired yes...but NEVER sore! To be objective, I have to mention one tiresome issue. The tire width and "stickiness" will cause the car to wander over older, worn road surfaces as the wheels will try to "climb" out of any deep road trough. This took a bit of getting used to, but after the first 500 miles and learning certain hiway/street areas to avoid, it quickly becomes a non-issue.

Control- a VIPER is NOT difficult to control if you stay within the car's limitations, WHICH ARE WELL BEYOND YOURS (note the emphasis)! I don't know what you drive now, but everything can be done significantly faster in a Viper. If you can moderate your driving/racing passion you will have absolutely no problems controlling the car!

Buy one, lease one, steal one (did I just say that
embarass.gif
)...you will not be disappointed!

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
KFMSLM,

I have an older less luxurious RT-10 than the years you are looking at and I find no problems taking it on long trips or comfort. In fact the first time I ever drove a Viper was when I bought it in Denver, and I drove it 15 hours straight without stopping except to get gas and food (total trip was 1800 miles). Comfort wise it was Good, and the trip was quite enjoyable. I even managed to get about 400 miles per tank of gas while chugging along in 6th gear.
I personally would not recommend it as a daily driver, but as a secondary vehicle it serves it's purpose well, whether it be taking it to work on a nice day or just going to dinner.
My only complaint would be that it does not have real windows, but if you are looking at the years you mentioned you will not have to concern yourself with that.

Any responsible person can control the car and have fun driving it as long as they are sensible and respect the power it has. Which is probably the most difficult thing given that the car is just so much fun to get onto.

shifter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once I get in my Roadster, I don't want to get out. Never thought I'd spend so much time finding the 'long way' home.

The comfort of the Vette is hard to touch with any sports car. The heads-up display, the seats, the climate control, the adjustable ride, the stereo, memory seats, auto dimming mirrors, the top, etc. are all hard to beat. It just isn't a Viper.

Like Bonkers said, the Viper is much closer to a race car. A daily driver? I'd probably take the Vette. The most incredible experience with a street legal race car - the Viper.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
O contrare Bonkers. I habitually take my RT out for a short jaunt and find 2 or more hours disappear (pleasantly of course). I have driven over 600 miles in one day and not been overly uncomfortable. A little bit of leg cramp now and again but that is it. If you are cruising very fast with no windows or roof, the wind noise will have some impact. But within more rationale speeds (less than 80) even that is not an issue. I have found the Viper to be very good for long drives. The desire to stop in daylight and freshen the car up before bedding her in (she's alive you know :LOL
smile.gif
is my only limiting factor in how far I can drive in a day.

Ron

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
KFMSLM- Hope you decide on the Viper. I'm gonna need a few others to cruise with later this summer!!! From experience I have with the Viper, you wont be disapointed.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was beat to the punch here, but I second the hardtop!! I have had my 96 RT/10 for ~ 6 months, and after the first couple months I installed the hardtop, just for fun...It really cuts down on the noise, and of course the sun exposure. It increases comfort significantly...I still love the open cockpit experience, but I have the option.

I would recommend figuring your wife's preferences into the equation, as the open roadster is a feel one has to like, rather than put up with!

As most folks have explained, the Viper is just something special, it gets my adrenaline going just looking at it! Let alone driving it...If it does not have the same effect on you, then the lack of creature comforts and stiff ride could easily be a problem for you...

I would go out of your way to try to drive one, even if you have to fly somewhere to do it!

Tomer
Northern California

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck:

None of my business but...
"Brief jailtime delay on the way back."

UH HELLO. How can you just leave it like that?!
Details....(pleeeease)

Scott

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Without my knowledge the state of Florida wrongfully issued a non-judgment suspended license on me. I say “wrongfully” because they claimed I didn’t have insurance until I showed them the paperwork and they said “oops” and “unsuspended” my license. Unfortunately it wasn’t until I was arrested in Georgia that I found out that my license was wrongfully suspended in the first place.

The initial reason I was stopped in Georgia is because they have some sort of speed limit law that you’re not allowed to exceed. When Buford T. Justice stopped me he saw that I had the “non-judgment” suspended license and off to jail I go. After I posted bail I “made a break” for the Florida state line, but they caught me and I was back in jail within the hour.

I ended up having to wait until morning and call friends in Tampa to make the four hour drive to pick me up.

A paperwork foul up. The system works. <sarcasm.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's no fun Chuck. I was hoping to hear some exciting story, but that just plain *****! The thought of spending the night in a Georgia jail will run shivers down the spine of any nu yawka. Have to keep "Georgia on my mind" when passing through. Just curious, what is the magic speed limit that gets you state housing?

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that the Viper is a comfortable car in many ways. However if you have a bad back like I do, the offset pedals can lead to some back pain after a period of time in the drivers seat due to the awkward body geometry it forces you to assume. Not bad enough for me to quit driving it however!

--- Ken

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're the type to like your everyday creature comforts of a sedan in your sports car well...pick the Vette. There are things you will be giving up(no cup holders for example). I sold my 2000 Vette convertible and bought a nice 96RT/10. For me it was the same out of pocket expense. I don't regret it a bit. The top on the Vette can be down in a minute. The Viper well.... About 15 minutes is best for me(soft-folded and in the trunk) The hard top is easier but you cant take it with you. I go ******* myself 80% of the time so the top thing is no big deal. It rides more harsh than a Vette. Long trips haven't been a problem for me. I still love Vettes and I will get another one when financially I can afford both.
The best surprise and one you wouldn't associate with was Insurance. I paid just over $2000 a year for the Vette. The Viper I pay less than Half of that. Even more reason for me to love it. Good luck.
BURNOUT.gif

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am right down the road from you!!!
here in Lancaster!!
Float me an email after April 1st (praying for good weather)
when i hope to have her out of storage.

I love mine.. have had it since Feb 2001 and have 5,000 miles
on it... no comfort worries here
smile.gif
smile.gif

As far as test drive goes I rented one in Hawaii for a day and had to get one.. I drove a 95 yellow R/T and ended up with a
2001 yellow R/T !!
the only place to get one is WOODHOUSE in Nebraska.
Delivered right to the garage door.
good luck
JIM
smile.gif

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of you guys are wimps.
smile.gif
I drove my RT/10 from Tampa to St Louis straight through with the top off the whole way, there and back. Had a nice racing stripe (seat belt) sunburned across my chest by the time I arrived at 2am. Brief jailtime delay on the way back.

I put thousands of miles on # 34 driving from Tampa to Viper Days events in Virginia and Wisconsin and other events throughout the South, always making the trips in less than 24 hours.

Got a trailer now but only because I don't want to put the miles on my Vipers and I don't want to have to leave them against a wall at the tracks. Otherwise I'd be driving them all over the country. But don't take my advice, I'm nuts.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CitySnake:
Just curious, what is the magic speed limit that gets you state housing?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't say for sure, but I know they don't like 90 in a 65.

Acatala7

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CitySnake... WOW that is a GREAT avatar with the skyline back there! I hope you don't mind that i steal your idea for a nice wall hanging. how early in the morning did you have to do that?

JetMec

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kungfool:

Also, ANY car with 450+ horsepower... Um yeah... you will need to be a little careful!
laugh.gif

Cheers and good luck!!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I can attest to that. 1st hand experience this morning scared the hell out of me. BUT WHAT A RUSH. Followed by humility.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Previously posted by Acatala7:
CitySnake... WOW that is a GREAT avatar with the skyline back there! I hope you don't mind that i steal your idea for a nice wall hanging. how early in the morning did you have to do that?

Thanks! My old avatar was a beautiful country photo - nice, but not CitySnake! I had planned to merge a photo of the Statue of Liberty with my snake, but after hours and hours of "photoshoping" (I'm a rank amateur), just before tossing my PC out the window
pissed.gif
, I decided on Park Avenue. Actually shot photo at noon on a Sunday when Park Avenue was not too busy. Use it anyway you like. If you need another version of the shot in higher resolution I'd be happy to forward.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960