viper speaker help

08viperviolet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Im trying to find out the factory speaker sizes want to make some changes without making new mountings. Thanks and it is for my 08 coupe.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dash speakers: 3/4" silk dome tweeters
door speakers: 6-1/2" midrange , 3 hole fit , not 4 hole
rear fill speakers (behind seats): 2-3/4" midrange
sub: 6-1/2" woofer in ported enclosure between seats

do a search on speakers , there is a ton of good info

Last edited:

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dash speakers: 3/4" silk dome tweeters
door speakers: 6-1/2" midrange , 3 hole fit , not 4 hole
rear fill speakers (behind seats): 2-3/4" midrange
sub: 6-1/2" woofer in ported enclosure between seats

do a search on speakers , there is a ton of good info
Is the '03-'06 speaker set the same as the '08 speaker set?

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good question, and i'm not 100% sure, i do know the door speakers are the same as i have already dropped in the polks on my 08

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
EBAY is the cheapest by far....the DB650 have been discontinued but still pop up occasionally.. the replacements the DB651 model have the four hole design so they do not fit... the DB651S do have the three hole design and fit .....

i did a quick search on ebay , the db650 have a slightly higher power handling than the db651s but the 650 are hard to find since being discontinued

POLK DB651S 6.5" SHALLOW MOUNT SPEAKERS NEW *PAIR* 165W - eBay (item 220275345201 end time Sep-06-08 09:49:18 PDT)

great bang for the buck and install is a breeze, upagrading just the door speakers makes all the difference.. with the top down and going 70 there is no way i could here the stock radio... with the polk upgrade i can jam along at 90-100mph even with the belanger system...:guitar:

Polk Audio db650 - car speaker Reviews. Car speakers Reviews by CNET.

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wallbanger - did you have to do any other modifications to the system? You are just running the 6.5's in the door and left all the other speakers the same?

I agree that I think those would be the best bang for the buck upgrade, and the install looks like a breeze. I assume the only thing you would have had to change may be the connector for the speakers?

- Anthony

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good question, and i'm not 100% sure, i do know the door speakers are the same as i have already dropped in the polks on my 08

I hate these posts where I just go in to see what's up and wind up spending $100+ for something that I never knew I wanted! :mad: ;)

So, you think that upgrading the door speakers is a higher priority than upgrading the rear speakers? My rear speakers (not sure which one) seems to distort first, although the door speakers may be doing the same but they're much further away from my ears.

Anyway, since you think it's a worthwhile upgrade to begin with the door speakers (alone) it seems like a no brainer for the $.

Thanks for the info! :2tu:

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
here is a previous post with pics on install.. look at how small the stock speakers are...

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-s...1hour-howto-must-do-speaker-upgrade-pics.html

Key tips on install
1...the stock speakers have a plastic connector that u see in the pics.. in order to disconnect it u can't just pull on it u have to lift up the clip in the middle
2... Once u disconnect the wires from the stock speaker u can install speaker wire clips which u can pic up from u're local stereo guy.. then they just snap on

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
here is a previous post with pics on install.. look at how small the stock speakers are...

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-s...1hour-howto-must-do-speaker-upgrade-pics.html

Key tips on install
1...the stock speakers have a plastic connector that u see in the pics.. in order to disconnect it u can't just pull on it u have to lift up the clip in the middle
2... Once u disconnect the wires from the stock speaker u can install speaker wire clips which u can pic up from u're local stereo guy.. then they just snap on

Thanks for the link. Crutchfield should sell the adapters, then you won't have to solder/crimp anything.

So you replaced them with a 2 way speaker? I was under the impression that the front speakers were components (since the tweeter is up on the dash).