Viper SRT-10 Coupe Equipped with Double Clutch Transmission?

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This has to do with the Viper, so read in full. :laugh:

Many of you may have read or heard about Audi's revolutionary double clutch transmission, which made its debut this year in the debut of their all-new Audi TT 3.2 Quatro. This new transmission is making waves worldwide. If you have not read/heard about it, then you need to read up on it. It's an amazing invention; so amazing, the talk is that it will be the future of all clutches.

Many notable car manufacturers - Aston Martin, Ferrari, to name a few - are adding the technology to some of there upcoming high-end sports cars, according to an article I read today. This also, according to the article, includes the next Viper.

They said that the Viper is inline to have a double clutch transmission, and they had a picture of the Viper CC (one of the original media photos), which I took to mean was their way of saying the coup-version of the Viper SRT-10. I could be wrong, of course, but if they had meant that next year's Viper Competition Coupes would be equipped with double clutch transmission, why would they have categorized the next Viper with both Aston Martin's and Ferrari's upcoming sports cars? Deductive reasoning has lead me to believe they meant the next Viper, as in the coupe-version of the SRT-10.

Has anyone else read anything on this? Comments? Opinions? I am of the opinion that this would be awesome! Talk about advanced technology. It would increase shifting speed by no small amount. Yes, this change would be as modern-day as you can get, and so may lose points with some, but think of the advantages!

You must be registered for see images

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I was at VOI7, a couple of the Arizona VCA members were discussing transmissions with one of the engineers at the viper drag races at Bowling Green and I fully expect the next street coupe to have paddle shifters! No matter what, the next coupe is going to be in my garage!

OP
OP
D

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting reading. Here's a few links:
http://autozine.kyul.net/Award/AutoZine/AutoZine_Awards_04.htm
http://aftermarket.theautochannel.com/news/2003/01/08/152540.html

Apparently, this is the tranny design for the Bugatti Veryon in a 7 speed variant, so the design must be capable of handling plenty of power.

So Daffy- where is this article? I am curious to know more, and I could find nothing specific to the Viper. Mostly just the VW and Audi TT.

Hey there, Tom. Thanks for the clarification on the truth about this technology.

As for which magazine I got this information from. That is not an easy question to answer. I think it was a special European issue of Automobile. I say that because when I was at Borders yesterday I ended up flipping through several car magazines, which resulted in me not knowing for sure which one I was reading when I came across that article. The article was a half-page deal; not a major write-up, but still quite intriguing. Anyway, if I happen by the bookstore, I'll see what magazine it was.

Guyver1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.sae.org/automag/features/transopt/fig9.htm

Looks like DaimlerChrysler has been working on DCT's for a while.

One on a Viper would be rather... interesting.
So basically, it uses two clutches, one for even gears, and one for odd, so that when you go from 1st to second, the 1st clutch lets off as the 2nd connects, so it lessens the time between shifts. (did I get that right?)

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
OH, NOW THAT JUST STINKS! :eek:

Now we will have to push the clutch in TWICE, for each gear change! And then you will also have to keep track of what gear you are in, odd, or even. :rolleyes:

(The above is my attempt at satire, in case you couldn't tell!)
:D