Viper Test Drive experience

Dr. Validus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was so set on buying the Viper until...
I test drove it today.

The door sill was so high and so wide.
It took some effort to climb in and out of the car.
The top was down so it must be even harder with the top up.
Cockpit was like a race car.
Hard, unforgiving, cramped.
The lateral support of the seat was digging into my ribs.
And I'm not a really big guy. (5'10" 190lbs)
Rearview mirror was small and visibility was not that good.

The shifter was tall, loose, and clumsy.

The trunk space was too tiny!
The tonneau cover took up most of the space!

The power though.
OMG the power!
It was a brute monster!
Ridiculous amount of torque!
With WOT in second, I inadvertantly and literally shouted Holy Sheeet!

The Alpine sound system was pretty impressive I must say.

My experience at the dealership was... interesting.
This Dodge dealership was clueless about the car.
Took 3 people to figure out how to unlock the ragtop and put it up.
The car was sitting on the showroom floor for 5 months so they had to charge the battery because it wouldn't start. That didn't work, so they had to call a bunch of guys and do a rolling start. They were short, so I had to push it too.

After they got the car started, I took it for a long and hard performance drive.
:D :D

After my fun drive, I hopped into my C5 to go home.
And ohhhhhh... the comfort.
The soft and roomy interior.
The smoothness of the engine and ride.
I realized why I absolutely love my corvette and now having second thoughts about the Viper, which would be my daily driver.

The car was a 2004 SRT with 4,800 miles.
I offered $52k and after they came down $500, they wouldn't budge on $55k.
But I shook hands and drove home with a big smile on my face.
Man, that drive was FUN!

I have a feeling they are going to call me to renegotiate.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought the same about the Viper besides your comments about the shifter. And for those exact reasons is why I bought my 2004. The Viper is an uncomprised, brutal race car for the street that must be appreciated for what it is. I love the cockpit, love the seats (I am 5'10 220lbs), figured out how to enter and exit without much effort, couldnt care less about trunk space, cured the heat issue and completed addicted to the power and torque. Everytime I drive it, the car just amazes me. The grin from ear to ear is proof.

I went from a 2002 911 to the Viper and havent turned back. To each his own.

Good luck with what ever your decision is but it doesnt sound like the Viper is for you, especially if you plan on using it as a daily driver.

M. ROD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its noisy, it gets hot, its uncomfortable, It is stiff, loud, and hard to see out of ------ and the most fun you will ever have behind the wheel of a car!!! See, the Viper is all attitude, all the time. This car is pure testosterone, with a healthy dose of adrenaline. The Viper is raw and unrepentant. It’s an unapologetic machine. “Yestertech”, meaning no electronic “gewgaws” or driver aids in favor of raw unadulterated power. The traditional manners of a pure race car.

This car will not appeal to everyone. Viper is raw, brutal, and has that in-your-face feel that is not present in most modern sport cars. It’s all about driver enjoyment. It’s pure, and unvarnished. Just as it’s meant to be. Viper is an enigma. A horsepower/torque monster, contradictory combination of everyday driver and raw race car. The viper is for a driver who wants a street race car, not a sports car. A car that is rough, loud, primitive, beastly and dangerous.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Suppose if the Viper drive didn't convince you maybe it's best to just motor on by...

418viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe for a performance upgrade on your C5 you could get one of those navigation systems where the girls voice tells you which way to go. Or even classier a set of chromed plastic valve covers. What the heck, get the entire engine compartment dress up kit...

Scott_in_FL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It sounds like the Viper is not for you. However, the Corvette has always been designed to appeal to the masses. If you like your C5 (I had one), you will love the C6. Good luck with your decision.

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After they got the car started, I took it for a long and hard performance drive.

You're a lucky guy Doc that the car did not bite you and bite you hard. Haven't you read any of the posts on this board lately about people wrecking cars that are not their's? Anyone who has experience behind the wheel of a Viper knows what I mean. Stick with the Vette, we'll all wave when we go by... :bonker:

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Reasons why a Vette is better...

• You don’t have to fight a crowd to get in and out.
• Computer controlled traction and suspension allows you to nap while driving.
• Built-in navigation system to entertain bored passenger.
• Roomy seats allow driver to wear his fanny-pack
• Automatic transmission means your 15 year old can borrow it for his driver’s test.
• Low door sills make it ideal for senior citizens.
• Good EPA fuel rating will get you a free Sierra Club membership and discounts on granola.
• Fixed roof will hide your bald spot.
• Impress your boss by owning the same type of car his wife drives.
• You can sneak around town totally unnoticed.
• No one asks how much it costs or how fast it goes

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As others have said, the Viper is a streetable race car not a luxury sports car. In some ways the Viper is the Dirty Harry of the performance world. It has no patience for certain niceties. It just gets the job done on the track or on the strip. Over the years many people have been attracted to the Viper only to learn that their vision of owning and driving the ultimate in automotive machismo is not supported by a true Spartan attitude and the driving skill necessary to properly handle a Viper at its limits. You can stay with what's comfortable or push your own personal limits and enter into a relationship with a Viper. Yes. It is a relationship. A very special relationship that is guaranteed to put a smile on your face and lift your spirits everytime you get in the car. But, like any relationship, you have to get to know the Viper well and respect what it is telling you. Whatever you decide to do - good luck and safe driving.

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's clear it is not the car for you, why post here (where we all love the beast) about how much you detest it? Too bad you don't like it enough to buy one, but why make the effort to explain to the community that you like the 'vette better?
Though it sounds as though you hope that the dealer will call you? I wasn't there, but it's not too likely that they waste thier time on every joy-ride (that's all it was to them) they'd have no time for actual customers.

Maybe 'enthusiast' is the wrong title for you. Still, I'm sure you coudn't wipe that smile off for a couple of hours, right doc?

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You're a lucky guy Doc that the car did not bite you and bite you hard. Haven't you read any of the posts on this board lately about people wrecking cars that are not their's? Anyone who has experience behind the wheel of a Viper knows what I mean. Stick with the Vette, we'll all wave when we go by... :bonker:

Got to agree with you here except it sounds like a vette is over kill too. maybe he should stick with jaguar XJ8 :)

Reaction score
I am 6'2" 212 pounds, drive a 2003 SRT10 as well as Gen II. I love the SRT-10 and would not trade it or my GEN II's for a new Z06 or Porsche or Ferrari. The SRT 10 provides great lateral support which is very nice when cornering. Small trunk? Need more space take your SRT 8 Jeep, either will get you to the golf course faster than the Corvette.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You are test driving a Viper and you tell us about trunk space. :bonker:

The car is not for you and it is a good thing you did not buy it as you do not understand it. If you are looking for a comfortable car with average performance you already own it. I use my C5 as a daily driver and it is great in traffic. Now when I want some excitement on the weekends I take out the Viper. :nana:

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fred, I could not agree with you any more. I have owned Vette's, Jags, Ferrari's, and Porsche's, and I can tell you the Viper is the best of them all.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I gotta thank GM. If it weren't for Vettes those guys would be wanting to change our Vipers into Vettes.

You stick with your Vette and we'll stick with our Vipers and everybody will remain happy. Glad you enjoyed the ride.

Peace.

Ken Lally

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Those things he said are true ('cept maybe for the shifter), and are the exact things I love about the car. This fellow, prob drives the Vette daily and if he intends to drive the Viper daily it's not the car for him, however, if he plans if for a weekend toy, like many of us, I think we should give him a chance and not beat to ******* him - leave that for the Alley. Vipers NEED to sell - We all had to come from SOME sports car... for me it was a 68 Vette, as old and unrefined as it was it was actually pretty comfy. I bought my Viper unseen, untested, I had never even been 10 feet close to a Viper.

Best decision I ever made- let's see what he does, I hope we did not scare him off.

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
I think that first post was a lame attempt at explaining that once you drive the Viper you just fall in love w/ it, even if you don't like some things about it.

It just sounded like he was putting our cars down, LOL

06red/whitecoupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no point in trying to figure this guy out; he probably would have had the same critical comments after test driving a 427 Cobra with side-oiler engine back in 1966.

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check out this guys comments on the thread "2005 viper too cheap", he's the last post. Talk about contradiction, are you kidding me. One breath he's slamming a ZO6 (which is a hell of a nice car) and the next minute he's promoting some dime a dozen C5 and kicking an SRT in the head. We did not need to be told any of the useless info that started this thread nor the less useful info about a C5, which by the way I thought was a vertebrae... :D

Grunt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get a kick out these types of posts.

I came from a 2006 C6 Z06, great power, got a few looks, fun at the track, etc....

I gave someone a test ride the other day and mid-sentence he stopped and said, "OMG do people always stare like this?"

Never had that much attention in the Vette.

Plus, I think that he probably would have benn critisized by his patients for the car he drives. He couldn't handle the justification he would have had to give, if he is a doc.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 2001 C5 vert as a daily driver; it was enjoyable if there wasn't something wrong with it which was almost constant. As good as its performance was, I was still searching for more. Seats were on the flat side but comfortable. Now I have the 2005 Viper vert as a daily driver. I now have 10K miles and still yet to have a problem. I'm not searching for more performance and my seats are just as comfortable if not more and provide proper support for the harder cornering this thing generates. I do have to lift my foot a little higher to clear the sill but it also doesn't scrape when I go up and down my driveway. Shifting? My C5 was a stick also and didn't have anywhere the feel of the Viper stick. It did get better when I put the Hurst stick in it which was one of the best mods I did for the C5 but it was on par with my current stock Viper stick. Overall, the vette does provided more comfort but not the driving satisfaction the Viper generates. I still like Vettes but wouldn't consider owning one again unless the reliability improves. You should check out the C6. Oh yeah, the quality (fit/finish)- Viper by far in comparison to the C5. The C6 gets better in this respect. I think some of the Viper nuts here are being too ******* you because the Vette is a great machine. The Vette is easier to like at first and then slowly wears off whereas the Viper grows on you more (and quickly) IMHO.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DrV.

Thanks for posting on our forum. Most of us agree with your observations and comments, and for our own reasons have chosen the less convenient Viper over the more comfortable Vette.

Since both of them use similar tranmissions, I am going to assume your Vette is an automatic. That indeed is something that also seperates the two driving experiences.

A similar observation could be made by a mini van owner.
Mini van gets better mileage than vette, drives smoother, has much more usable room inside, has easer time getting in and out, is quieter, has a smoother shifting automatic, is cheaper to insure, and can take the kids and the dogs at the same time.

Buick owners could also explain why they would find vettes unacceptable as daily drivers.

Just like Harleys...some people get it, and others don't

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 2001 C5 vert as a daily driver; it was enjoyable if there wasn't something wrong with it which was almost constant. As good as its performance was, I was still searching for more. Seats were on the flat side but comfortable. Now I have the 2005 Viper vert as a daily driver. I now have 10K miles and still yet to have a problem. I'm not searching for more performance and my seats are just as comfortable if not more and provide proper support for the harder cornering this thing generates. I do have to lift my foot a little higher to clear the sill but it also doesn't scrape when I go up and down my driveway. Shifting? My C5 was a stick also and didn't have anywhere the feel of the Viper stick. It did get better when I put the Hurst stick in it which was one of the best mods I did for the C5 but it was on par with my current stock Viper stick. Overall, the vette does provided more comfort but not the driving satisfaction the Viper generates. I still like Vettes but wouldn't consider owning one again unless the reliability improves. You should check out the C6. Oh yeah, the quality (fit/finish)- Viper by far in comparison to the C5. The C6 gets better in this respect. I think some of the Viper nuts here are being too ******* you because the Vette is a great machine. The Vette is easier to like at first and then slowly wears off whereas the Viper grows on you more (and quickly) IMHO.
I agree 100% with your analysis of the situation. I have a 2000 C5 that I used to daily drive. Notice I said "Used to". Granted the C5 felt more tame and had more creature comforts, but then again I think that is what makes the Viper such an incredible driving experience. I believe it gives you more of a feeling of being in touch with your car. Geeze, I actually feel like I am in more of a sports car when I am driving my 94 vette. I honestly think that that is what is hurting the Corvette in that it is becoming/has become too civilized. When I drive the C5, which hasn't been often since the Viper came along, it just feels like a car with nice aerodynamics but that is more of a sporty family car. I swore by how much fun the C5 was to drive until I bought the Viper. I think that the Viper emblem on the hood is actually "God's seal of approval"!!!!!! Sorry for carrying on but I just love this car (Viper) that much.

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to Wikepedia, Validus is some DC comics character. The part about 'near mindlessness' is most entertaining.

"It was revealed much later in the Legion of Super-Heroes' storyline that, as revenge for his defeat in The Great Darkness Saga, Darkseid had kidnapped one of the twin children (Validus, in this case)of Lightning Lad and Saturn Girl at birth. He then sent the newborn back in time, cursed with a monstrous body and with near-mindlessness (that made him easily controlled by the likes of the Emerald Empress) with the idea that either the parent or the child would kill the other."

The original post is either a fake to get us stirred up, or he has an unfortunate name.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960