Viper testing at Mid Ohio on July 4th

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.drivesrt.com/news/2012/07/4th-of-july-grillin-with-gilles.html

Two great shots of Ralph showing why he is Chrysler's secret weapon.

One shows Ralph cooking steaks for the test team on his Big Green Egg which he hauled all the way from Detroit. This is the president of SRT and VP of styling.

The other shows Ralph in his driving suit. The article doesn't mention which car Ralph drove BUT he knows how to drive!

FYI there were two cars at Mid Ohio; the R we're used to seeing and a "2009 Viper ACR-X hot rod. This one has a complete 2013 production drivetrain and rear suspension. SRT vehicle dynamics engineer Chris Winkler hot-lapped the 640-horsepower snake for two days, proving out the new components under conditions the new cars will see at the hands of many owners who will put them to this ultimate use. Winkler is the Laguna Seca production car record-holder, by the way."

http://www.drivesrt.com/news/2012/07/srt-viper-gts-r-dazzles-during-july-4th-test.html

:headbang:

Last edited:

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
" SRT also brought a 2009 Viper ACR-X hot rod. This one has a complete 2013 production drivetrain and rear suspension. "

With both at 640bhp, the 2013 tighter gearing and suspension upgrades must make it way more venemous.

OP
OP
I

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting photo of the ACR & GTC side by side on the track. Austin, where are you?

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
" SRT also brought a 2009 Viper ACR-X hot rod. This one has a complete 2013 production drivetrain and rear suspension. "

With both at 640bhp, the 2013 tighter gearing and suspension upgrades must make it way more venemous.

You've got to wonder what a GTS-R without the 2 muzzles and on full unrestricted steam would do.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That kind of team spirit is what makes me proud of being a Viper owner, and looking forward to becoming a 2013 Viper owner. Ralph understands that it's more than just about the car, it's about the people (those that build/work/test/race/support). Can't wait to get a 2013!

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of all the new updates on the 2013, the one that I'm most interested in that might be transferable to the Gen 4 car is the upgrades to the rear suspension. Anybody have any details as to how different the setup is? I remember Ralph stating that the rear suspension of the Gen 5 only goes up and down now, no other movements like the previous cars. That alone would help tremendously with the stability of the car at the limit.

I just can't get over how great the body of the GTS-R looks....:2tu::headbang::2tu::headbang:

Cheers,
George

OP
OP
I

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of all the new updates on the 2013, the one that I'm most interested in that might be transferable to the Gen 4 car is the upgrades to the rear suspension. Anybody have any details as to how different the setup is? I remember Ralph stating that the rear suspension of the Gen 5 only goes up and down now, no other movements like the previous cars. That alone would help tremendously with the stability of the car at the limit.

I just can't get over how great the body of the GTS-R looks....:2tu::headbang::2tu::headbang:

Cheers,
George

Getting desired results from a suspension change isn't easy. First, if the hard points on the chassis are the same, applying the new suspension in the rear shouldn't be too hard from a mechanical point of view. Clearence maybe an issue. However, the new Viper has a chassis that is 50% stiffer. That means an awful lot in terms of compliance in the suspension. Second, the new Viper has some material changes. There may be local reinforcement to take the suspension loads of the new suspension. Third, the new Viper has a wider front track and that will have some effect on the total suspension package. Fourth, the new Viper suspension settings are different. Fifth, And on and on.

A couple of suggestions, a lot of Gen 4s spend a lot of time on the track . How is the suspension on those cars modified? Mopar have parts? Set up details?

Second, see if SRT will tell you how they modified the Gen 4 that ran at Mid-Ohio as a test car.

Have fun. :drive: