Viper totaled! Now what?

SF Final 286

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A friend just totaled his GTS tonight.
Does anyone have any idea on how to deal with insurance co?
What should he watch out for?
How will insurance handle it?
any advice?:omg:

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How to handle the insurance company? Why by letting JonB from partsrack call them of course after he has seen pictures of the wreck!

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I paid 38K for a 1999 rt10 in 2006..Wrecked it in 2007 and insurance gave me 41K..

paid 51K for a 2003 srt10 in 2007 and wrecked it in 2008..Insurance gave me 47K...

Both of them had good frames and honestly..Wernt even bad damage. vipers are just so easy to total...The 99 rt10 LITERALLY just had a slightly damaged hood and slightly damaged bumper and road rash on one wheel..Still completely drivable ect. And it was TOTALLED..

Have your friend start by finding the same year models with similar miles for sale..craigs list Ebay...Then KBB ect. Naturally have him find the highest for sale or highest sold prices. Insurance will probally try to somewhat low ball...So haveing these as back up will get things moved up..

As well JohnB was more than happy to assist me when I called him

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most collector insurance like Haggerty and Grundy usually set an agreed upon value to underwrite the car for ? He needs to read his policy...

A friend just totaled his GTS tonight.
Does anyone have any idea on how to deal with insurance co?
What should he watch out for?
How will insurance handle it?
any advice?:omg:

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I may be looking to buy a totaled one. Contct me after the storm is over and let me know if it is available.

I hope all turns out well in your favor and I hope your friend get another Viper to replace it.

When I recently had mine reinsured I added to the policy that my car is not stock and it is supercharged with high horsepower. It's in writing on my contract. I always worry about the details.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call jonb or woodhouse. Find the highest prices you can and what they sold for. Dont bother with KBB as its a joke. List out your mods, if any, and have receipts for them. Im sure your policy is a "market value" like most, if so then your not gonna get alot, if its "agreed" then your good.
Once the insurance company tells you what they're going to give you for it, you can rebuttal but be cautious that they can retract there offer and then offer you less. I know a guy who tried to go back and forth with them and got 10k then what they originally were paying. Fact is viper prices are down and i just hope your friend gets a decent amount.
When mine got totalled, my agent let me remove my parts but she wrote the car up as still having those parts installed. Got paid for the parts by insurance company and sold them on here.
I had 7k JM heads and insurance was only giving 900 for them. I got the 900 from them but sold for 4500 on here (jesel rockers included).
Also they only wanted to give me 900 for my paxton, so i pulled that also and sold on here.
another word of advice, if your friend has mods, have him pull them off before your insurance guy looks at it, that way if anything gets damaged while removing the parts, you can just blame it on the accident and you still get paid for the parts.....this is advice straight from my insurance agent.

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may be looking to buy a totaled one. Contct me after the storm is over and let me know if it is available.

I hope all turns out well in your favor and I hope your friend get another Viper to replace it.

When I recently had mine reinsured I added to the policy that my car is not stock and it is supercharged with high horsepower. It's in writing on my contract. I always worry about the details.

Hey Bolt, how much did that change your insurance? I did not tell mine about my built engine and paxton set up. Thought they would not insure me if I did.:dunno:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Usually it is best to find out what the Insurance Company will offer before getting too concerned. Have the data with you on comparables , but there are plenty of intangibles that are not shown that place specific values on the cars ( example ; Though both red and blue/white were done on 97 GTSs, the blue/white will bring considerably more money). Most Insurance companies look at a model year as if specific things do not make a difference ( miles , color, etc. ), but many are quite fair of late.

Have him give me a call if he needs some advice.

Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse
1-800-889-1893
cell 402-677-5864

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Bolt, how much did that change your insurance? I did not tell mine about my built engine and paxton set up. Thought they would not insure me if I did.:dunno:

Not much I think it was something like $75 per year. It was a risk brining this out in the open. I thought they would drop me also but as I was switching insurance companies I had to fill out the paperwork and I made sure I had all the details written in it. I also wrote on it that I had a custom body kit on mine too. I was always worried that if I got in a accident that it may not be covered cause it was high HP and not reported so.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thought I have had is what another insurance company would give me. For example, if I had it in the shop and someone decided to "take it for a spin". Could I insist on replacement value? Here's another one just like the one I had, give me enough to buy it. Would that be reasonable.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a lot of insurance companies have revised their policies now and they only give a max of $1K for all aftermarket add ons, so take them off. I guess the ricer crowd is to blame for that claiming they had $50K invested in a $3K honda and showing dummied receipts, at least that is what my Alstate rep told me when I asked what was covered on my heavily modded car to make sure I had enough coverage, nothing like having $80 K added to a car and finding out you are only covered for $1 of it

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jon is your friend's best assett. I had a feature article on my car published in Domestic Driver - A bi-monthly online magazine featuring Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, and GM Cars from 1980+ (free subscription) and when I went to talk to the adjuster the printed article upped my GTSs value by $5,000 (nearly 10%) instantly.

Have several features on my Sapphire/Silver GTS. I have photo's archived on every mod I've done on my car. Insurance added $5,000 for modifications and $1,000 for extra electronics. Unoftunately, Governemment insurance here charges about 10% of extra value. Meaning that if no one steals or wrecks your car you would be paying for your mods every ten years. Taxes.

Ted

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VenomXX