Viper Trailer Tie Downs

Dale Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just purchased a new Sloan's Kwik Load trailer and was wondering if anyone can help with the correct tie down locations on my 2000 GTS.
Thanks
Dale

9 seconds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are holes in the frame for special hooks. Call 1-800-TIE DOWN and they will fix you up. The holes are re-enforced, oval shaped, and on the outside of the frame.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As part of our ongoing trailer saga, we are replacing all our frame hooks and tie downs. Snapping Turtle (1800-TIE-DOWN) was recently purchased by a trailer company. In my opinion, the customer service has seriously suffered. No more discounts for VCA members and I think the prices are high. They were out of the frame hooks and could not get them in time for our trip this weekend. I ordered $500 worth of stuff from them to replace what was stolen and I am praying it shows up in time for us to leave tomorrow. After getting a bit ticked off, I thought there must be another solution. I found the correct Frame hooks here:

AWDirect

These folks supply the towing industry and appear to have just about anything. I'll bet they would make up what you are looking for. Otherwise, a search on M&R Products may help - they are a major supplier of tie downs.

Anyway, if your need for frame hooks is immediate - call them...
You must be registered for see images
Happy hunting.

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been using axle straps. In the front I loop them through the little triangles on the frame rails and cross tie the front. On the rear I place them around the frame between the lower control arms and again cross tie to the trailer. Works great for me. Good luck! Some people just put straps around the wheel and tie down that way.

Michael Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Post Script to previous posting...

Depending on the length of your Sloan, I've seen a couple of their standard (short) trailers where the D-rings are somewhat close together (length). With the Viper on the trailer, the D-rings are closer to the front and rear bumpers whereas the tie downs pull 'downward' to the floor. This is opposed to being a bit fore and aft of the bumpers to pull 'outward & downward' (may be hard to visualize without a diagram!?!) If you opted for a longer than standard length, the D-rings may be mounted farther appart and this may be a moot point.

Anyway... Dilusi's setup mounts the end hook directly to the ratchet (see website pic). This makes it easier to operate the ratchet without hitting the facia!

Just a thought!?!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
If you are looking for correct frame hooks to fit in the oval holes described, ask for " R " hooks. I encourage ALL to carry 4 such hooks IN EACH Viper...never know when you might need them...especially when facing aggressive flatbed drivers wanting to hookup to whatever!! I agree with Janni in that I had a VERY tough time getting someone just to take the order at Snappin' Turtle...things HAVE changed...but 8 hooks finally arrived last week (they were back-ordered for several weeks).

Roger Morgan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Skip Thomas of Viper Days has the hooks, I think they call them J hooks and use one for each hole in frame. Prevents the frame from tearing. Use with HD tyedown straps and the car will not move. I think the cost is about 40.00 for the set but well worth the cost. Archer also has them I think.

OP
OP
D

Dale Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all for help with this. I have ordered a set of 4 tie downs from Dilusi Mortorsport. Sounds like they will work great!
Dale

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
As I noted above...AND as noted on page 11 of the Snappin' Turtle catalog...the hook that BEST fits a Viper is called " R " hook...it nestles into the oval frame hole and better distributes the force...folks have reported the worry that a " J " hook could damage the frame with sudden, high load.

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We use fixed length chains in the front with hooks that go in to the frame holes then we roll the car back and use wratchet straps (www.racerwholesale.com) with Skip's hook rings. Works well.

Try to get the primary weight directly over the axles.