Viper Tuners/horsepower packages

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have respect for all tuners,trying to please owners is a tough ball game if your gonna make money.Why don't any of you offer ET packages from high 9's to high 11's guaranteed.1/4 performance is what we all want to see,and what the magazines print!That way you set the car up for that speed head to toe,run it down the 1/4 mile track showing safety and performance.Just my point of view as a tuner and a customer.
supergrin.gif

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No Flame.. But, can you make me a 10 second car? Then if I cannot get it into the 10's can I have my money back on a 20k to 30k package?
smile.gif
If you don't give me my money back, I'll call my laywer..

Gerald

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No flame, but isn't the driver part of this equation? You could have a fast car with an inexperienced driver and NOT realize the cars potential. JMO......Kurt

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If numbers guarantees are gonna be made then it’s best to overshoot them like Levin does. But the most important factor in nearly every business is customer service.

Butch The Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gerald:
No Flame.. But, can you make me a 10 second car? Then if I cannot get it into the 10's can I have my money back on a 20k to 30k package?
smile.gif
If you don't give me my money back, I'll call my laywer..

Gerald

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>----------------------------------

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am I the only one here that considers a "10 second car" one that will run 10.00 to 10.10. I know Gerald said "in the tens" but I see several with "ten second cars" and they will go 10.90's on a good run and probably 11.00's normally. Same thing applies to nine second cars that only run 9.90's and 11 second cars that only run 11.90's etc........what in my opinion is correct? If my car goes 11.97 then I have an 11.90 car. Whats your opinion?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony, you know how this business is - full of bs.
laugh.gif
When somebody tells me they have a 9, 10, 11, etc. car I pretty much figure it's on the high side of it. If they were running 10.1 they'd say they run 10.1.

Tom86ZT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As for Butch's car and TOOOFST's car I just happened to be at the track when each of them ran their posted times. And i do have to say, they ran high 10's but both had traction issues down the whole track. You could hear Butch's car cring for traction throughout the run. You couldn't hear it on TOOOFST's cause the crowd was going nuts when that nose just came up (they ran they numbers on different nights). Plus for butch it was hotter than hades out. In my unprofessional opinion they both have more in them. Can't wait to see em run again soon. Butch where ya been lately, haven't seen ya driving around much?

Tom

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Butch the Snake, it wasn't a flame, do you really want to get into this with me? I'm sorry you feel insecure.

I in no way tried to flame TOOFAST, he seems like a very respectful stand up guy. He posted on the board what everyone thought and I gave him my opinion.

What did I pay for my package? That's a whole other thread and discussion on N20 vs a S/C, Turbo OR N/A package that's been beat to death. But I hope you enjoy your nitrous.. I enjoy my S/C.. peace

Gerald

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1TONY1:
Am I the only one here that considers a "10 second car" one that will run 10.00 to 10.10. I know Gerald said "in the tens" but I see several with "ten second cars" and they will go 10.90's on a good run and probably 11.00's normally. Same thing applies to nine second cars that only run 9.90's and 11 second cars that only run 11.90's etc........what in my opinion is correct? If my car goes 11.97 then I have an 11.90 car. Whats your opinion?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL I hear ya'. I love getting next to those 11 second civics and 9 second bikes....LOL!

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The worms are spewing from this can. I made this mistake myself once.

Toof, while your intentions are grand, you will find out as I did that trying to guarantee an elapsed time is difficult. There are too many factors involved, like driver experience, track conditions, density altitude, tires...etc.

I still offer to make a pass in any of my customers cars while they are here at my shop for mods, but it is much easier to guarantee a hp level as Dynojet Dynometers are found nationwide and are easy acces to customers.

Best of Luck,

Tom
Http://btrviper.com

P.S. I believe that it would be easier to guarantee a customer a MPH trap speed than an elapsed time, if you are looking at offering this type of guarantee to your customers. Trap speeds are more consistant than e.t.'s and if a Viper can run 140 MPH trap speed it should be able to run a low, low 10 or high 9 second pass. Unfortunatley the viper chassis is not optimized for drag racing. Take a look at what MPH the average drag race car runs to net a 9 second time. It is about 137 mph. (the mopar chassis tuners guide states that a 3300 LB car with a 100% efficient chassis should be capable of 9 second elapsed times at 135 mph with a manual transmission, and 10 second elapsed times at 121 mph) Just some food for thought.

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What Tom just said, WORD FOR WORD. In my humble opinion, as well, there are just too many variables involved in the E.T. I'm always surprised to hear the wide variance of ET's of stock Vipers of the same year from different owners, and MPH for that matter. As Tom knows, a LOT depends on the driver and experience.
And for the guys who say their cars run "in the 10's" when they run 10.99, I say this: That's FLYING anyway! And, that comes from drag racing terminology from a million years ago...when a guy got his car to barely break into a particular time bracket, whether it was 10.99 or 11.99, he could then say, and it was quite an achievement each time you could do it, that his car was "IN THE TENS" or whatever category it was in......it wasn't meant to deceive anybody into thinking it was in the lower end of the time. If somebody got into the "low 10's", they simply would say, "It'll run low tens" and that was it. Again, in my opinion, if you have a car that is street driven and you can run a consistent ten sec. ET, you have a SCREAMING fast car. Period. :) pete the XGG

OP
OP
T

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jkracer9:

A very old tuner once told me "what difference does the dyno numbers make as long as the track ET and speeds are what you are looking for." He went on to say "do you want great dyno numbers or better track ET's?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think tuners should run their performance packages at the track and show a ET or MPH.If you can ET the car at 10.60 maybe guarantee high tens,or guarantee MPH like Tommy gun BTR stated.I think the customer will be happier knowing his car will RUN ***,weather the owner can or not.No flame Proud VCA brothers and sisters.

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1TONY1:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I say if your car does 10.999 then it's a 10 second car. I know guys who've gotten in the 9's once in their life. But it did happen. And then it was a 9.99 or 9.98. Are we to say that those guy's don't have 9 second cars because it was a high 9 instead of a low 9?
confused.gif

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by King GTS:
I say if your car does 10.999 then it's a 10 second car. I know guys who've gotten in the 9's once in their life. But it did happen. And then it was a 9.99 or 9.98. Are we to say that those guy's don't have 9 second cars because it was a high 9 instead of a low 9?
confused.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"I know guys who've gotten in the 9's once in their life.".................In this case they HAD a nine second car....by your standards.......by my standards they HAD a 9.90 car. King, so now your saying that one can boast to having a nine second car when they only ran a 9.98 ONE time. In that case they "used" to have one...they don't anymore if they can no longer run the number. That's worse than a consistent 9.70 car bragging about having a nine second car. Lets do a little math: 9.98 minus 9.00 = .98 so if my car will go a 11.70 I should be able to: 11.70 minus .98 = 10.72 and ****, all the sudden i've got me a TEN second car...COOL
I was just wondering what others opinions were on this subject, thanks. Is this how the Texas cars get so fast? P.S. I still need that tee-shirt at VOI
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you only want a car of X H.P. that is capable of making X H.P. for a few seconds or X H.P. for say 24 hours straight?Very different animals indeed. Bruce

SW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All I can say is, bring it to the track!! Who cares what someone spent to get there? It's great bragging rights to say your STREET car runs 9's. A year ago I had the first C5 6spd in the nines, and the first Street Supra(6sp) in the 9's at over 154mph. Now LPE's TT auto car runs 9.20's@149, Titan's race Supra ran 9.0@160. My new goal is to run 160mph in a real street car, we'll see how close I come. It's not all about the tuner's capability, learning to use that power helps..

SW

jkracer9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tend to agree but I can go to 10 different dyno shops and get 10 different numbers. I have been asked what I was looking for and the shop came within 5HP of the number. Another shop was more while another was less.
Someone needs to have a portable dyno at VOI.
Then again
A very old tuner once told me "what difference does the dyno numbers make as long as the track ET and speeds are what you are looking for." He went on to say "do you want great dyno numbers or better track ET's?