VIPER vs F-16 Photos Viper WINS !!!!!! (PICTURES)

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny how you don't see chevy attempting to do this!

The rear half of this car reminds me alot of the "coke bottle" chargers of yesteryear. Looks awesome in action doesn't it.

Craig

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow...Those S2000's are quick. The Viper would have put more lenghts on that jet
biggrin.gif
...Cant believe the Comp Coupe beat a jet on full afterburners...Simply amazing

Kurt

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Wow! Those photos are amazing! What an awesome car! Is there a way that someone could make a poster using 1 or more of the better pictures that were taken? I think that would look pretty cool. What do you guys think? -Kurt

Tony Estes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The comp coupe and SRT-10 each raced an F-16 on Saturday and Sunday. The SRT-10 raced a F-16 at full military power. The comp coupe raced a F-16 with full afterburner

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by treynor:
What times did each car end up running in the 1/2 mile of the race? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Comp Coupe had a data-logger aboard, and Herb and Tom were going to download all the data. I think Herb estimated that he was doing about 160 as he shifted into 4th (!) at the 1/2 mile mark and lifted. NO TIMING was set up, just Airmen w/ large Red (Dodge) and Blue (USAF) flags which dropped at the passing of the racers.

THE USAF did do a large, cool poster:
"VIPER Vs. VIPER - VIPER WINS! LUKE AFB, 23-24 MARCH 2002" with a stock image of an F-16 over the AZ mountains, and a publicity photo of the Comp Coupe below it. Only about 75 were made, and quickly snapped up. The Pilots and Herb Helbig autographed most of them. VCA snagged several for PVO members and 1 for JRT.

The photo above would be the BEST poster however! The AZ VCA should sell em at VOI-7......and get em pre-autographed by them
pre-autographed by the USAF Pilots and PVO....

AZ-VCA did do some very nice commemorative coins: Viper new logo on one side, and F-16 on the other. "Viper Vs. Viper" around the border. All money to charity, and AZ had about 25 left at the end of the event. Proceeds to USAF charity. Theyw ere $15 at the evnt, but may be $25 now. Tony???

Halnasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Originally posted by JonB - PartsRack:
I think Herb estimated that he was doing about 160 as he shifted into 4th (!) at the 1/2 mile mark and lifted.

3rd Gear at 160M.P.H. is around 9300 R.P.M. unless I'm mistaken.
Maybe he was shifting into 5th. Or maybe we Comp Coupe recipients are in for a bigger treat than we thought
cool.gif

Tony Estes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have received several e-mails regarding the event banner in my avatar. I contacted Luke AFB and they have agreed to produce three more banners that we will auction off. Two will be auctioned off on this website and the third will be auctioned at the Viper Days event at Mid-Ohio on April 26th.You can click on my avatar for a better view. ALL proceeds will go to Luke AFB for the Airmen and Family Programs. Please be generous.

Vypr GT2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to buy one of the coins....Tony, are they still available?

Vypr GT2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the photos of the coins- they look great! Are there still some available for purchase? If so, where do we send payment (and how much will they be including postage?)

vipernut

VCA International Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I would also LOVE to get my hands on a few of the coins...
a friend e-mailed me the following...circle your calendars for July 10....

Graphics
Audio
Video
Documents

28 Mar 2002 21:47 GMT
New Dodge Viper Stages Low-Altitude Dogfight Against Air Force F-16

AUBURN HILLS, Mich., March 28 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- In a head-to-head match up of tire-shredding horsepower against high-flying afterburner thrust, the new 500 hp Dodge Viper SRT-10 challenged the United States Air Force's leading multi-role fighter in acceleration trials held this past weekend at Luke Air Force Base in Glendale, Arizona.

The event was held March 23-24, as part of the annual Luke Days air show. "Ripley's Believe It Or Not," TBS Superstation's original reality series hosted by Dean Cain, was on hand to tape the race. The program will air the outcome of the race July 10.

"It was an absolutely awesome ride," said Herb Helbig, Senior Manager, Vehicle Synthesis, Performance Vehicle Operations (PVO) at DaimlerChrysler Corp. "Ripley's got us racing the jet both times -- with and without afterburners -- using the Dodge Viper SRT-10 and the Competition Coupe. There were almost 140,000 people in attendance, and they were all lining the fences cheering their hearts out for their favorite Viper."

Billed as "Viper vs. Viper," the race pitted car against jet in a side-by- side, standing-start, 1/2-mile drag race on parallel air base runways. Dodge Vipers raced the F-16 -- nicknamed the "Viper" -- to the speed at which the jet became airborne: approximately 150 mph. The Dodge Viper covered the course in around 15 seconds.

Both the first and second days' races featured a pre-production version of the 2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10 convertible, driven by Helbig, against the Lockheed Martin F-16 Fighting Falcon, flown at military power by Captain Glen "Nugget" Richards of the 309th Fighter Squadron (known as the "Wild Ducks") based at Luke AFB.

Each day then pitted a prototype 2003 Dodge Viper Competition Coupe against another F-16 Viper flown by Captain Dan Potas -- call sign "Scrappy" -- also from the Wild Ducks. For the second showdown, DaimlerChrysler's PVO team would tap more horsepower and make their runs on racing slicks, while the USAF countered with a takeoff run at full afterburner.

In the "tale of the tape," the F-16 boasts approximately 25,000 pounds of thrust in a compact, 19,000-pound package capable of more than 1,500 mph. In comparison, the Dodge Viper's 500-plus pound-feet of torque, 3,357-pound curb weight and 190 mph top speed earn it the honor of being America's Ultimate Sportscar.

"It was a chance for us to have a little fun," added Helbig. "We're proud of the Dodge Viper's performance capabilities, and this was a chance to race for bragging rights against one of the few things capable of matching the Viper's acceleration. We're also very proud to have been invited here to support Luke Air Force Base and our nation's military."

The Luke Days air show is hosted by the USAF 56th Fighter Wing, the nation's largest, under the command of Brig. General Steve Sargeant. Luke AFB is the primary training ground for United States F-16 pilots, playing a key role in U.S. national defense.

The Lockheed Martin F-16 Fighting Falcon -- nicknamed the "Viper" -- is a compact, multiple-role fighter aircraft. It is highly maneuverable and has proven itself in air-to-air combat and air-to-surface attack. The F-16 first flew in 1976, and to date, more than 4,000 have been built. It has a cost of approximately $25 million. Made in both single-seat and two-seat configurations, the F-16 is considered by many to be the most agile modern fighter, capable of withstanding up to 9 Gs, which exceeds the capability of all other current fighter aircraft. It has compiled a 71-0 air combat record.

The Dodge Viper first began production in 1992, with more than 14,000 sold to date. The 2003 SRT-10 is a two-seat convertible with a 505-cubic inch all- aluminum V-10 engine producing no less than 500 horsepower and 500 pound-feet of torque. The 2003 Dodge Viper goes on sale in the Fall of 2002. The Dodge Viper Competition Coupe is a single-seat racing version of the SRT-10 convertible, but wrapped in fully enclosed coupe bodywork and designed exclusively for GT-class racing. Viper Competition Coupe performance estimates: 0-60 mph in 3.8 sec.; 0-100 mph in 9.2 sec.; 60-0 in 90 ft.; 100-0 mph in 260 ft. and top speed of 193 mph.

The Competition Coupe's predecessor -- called the Dodge Viper GTS-R -- earned five international GT championships including the 1999 and 2000 American Le Mans Series GTS Class titles, and the 1997-1999 FIA GT Championships. The Viper finished 1-2 in the Le Mans 24 Hours GTS class in three consecutive years and notched an overall win at the 2000 Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona, the first for an American production-based car.

High-resolution photography is available at http://www.media.daimlerchrysler.com/ .

Tony Estes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To John and all those interested in the coins please e-mail me at [email protected] . I imagine the cost of the coins with delivery will be $20. All of the VCA coins are gone but I will see if any of the event coins are left.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang