Viper vs Porshe 911 Turbo in Quarter Mile

Toronto_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Viper 00 ACR. I am proud to be a viper owner. There is no other car that I could consider buying for looks, power, and handling. But could someone please explain something to me. our cars have 460HP and a whopping 500ft/Ibs of torque. In comparison the porsche 911 turbo weighs about the same as the viper yet has 50HP less and 85FT/Ibs less in torque. Now that I am sure you will agree is a lot less than what our cars have. So then, can someone please explain to me why in all the quarter mile runs in the magazines the Porshe beats the Viper. It beats it in 0-60 which I understand is because of the 4 wheel drive which makes a huge difference. But the 911 turbo still does a high 11.90 quarter mile run. In fact if you do all the calculations, any car that weighed with driver 3600Ibs which the porshe does, the car would run a 12.60 Quarter Mile. I believe that our cars should be going faster than they do considereing that we have a huge rear tire in the back. yet only a few Vipers with a great driver will reach the high 11's. Is there anyone with a good technical answer.
Thanks

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HP means NOTHING if you can't put it to the ground. Think of it as your snake with slicks, that's what AWD is on a Porsche. It all comes down to 60' times. I bet the Porsche can deliver a 1.7-1.8 each time while we fight for the 1.9. After 60' it's over.....

laptopman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sold my 00 ACR a 6 months ago and bought a 2002 Porsche 911 TT and here's my opinion.

Viper ACR 2000 - Better grunt, chicks like the looks better, feels faster, build is rough, not too comfortable, feels scary on ultra high speed turns, has much better low end torque.

Porsche 911 Turbo 2002 - Sticks to the ground like rails, corners are very tight and forgiving with PSM control, 0-60 like you wouldn't believe, turbo lag kinda ***** you have to rev it up like crazy, very good quality and finish, costs the same as 2 vipers, design could be more aggressive, good warranty.

Verdict-Nothing replaces the vipers manly balls to the wall look and grunt. Its like the difference between a really tasty huge slice of prime rib vs. and lobster tail. Both tasty so get both if you can afford it.

I want to buy the new 2003 Viper. Does anyone know of any dealers taking deposits on them?

Wanna see some neat cars and guns goto. www.bigmantoys.com

I love Vipers and 911t's its just a matter of flavor.

Dan

OP
OP
T

Toronto_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks laptopman for the honest comparison. I would have to say that the Porshe 911 TT is the only other car that I would consider buying in regards to performance. But God it costs a lot of money. I still like my Viper. But I have to be honest. With the huge tires on the backs of these things I do not understand why we cannot get better traction. maybe it is the weight distribution. But I have to disagree with you in regards to handling. there is no way that the TT can outhandle the VIPER. In all the magazines the VIPER is at the top if not first for road handling. the TT or any other Porsche is not even close. A ferrari is second.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by laptopman:
I sold my 00 ACR a 6 months ago and bought a 2002 Porsche 911 TT and here's my opinion.

Viper ACR 2000 - Better grunt, chicks like the looks better, feels faster, build is rough, not too comfortable, feels scary on ultra high speed turns, has much better low end torque.

Porsche 911 Turbo 2002 - Sticks to the ground like rails, corners are very tight and forgiving with PSM control, 0-60 like you wouldn't believe, turbo lag kinda ***** you have to rev it up like crazy, very good quality and finish, costs the same as 2 vipers, design could be more aggressive, good warranty.

Verdict-Nothing replaces the vipers manly balls to the wall look and grunt. Its like the difference between a really tasty huge slice of prime rib vs. and lobster tail. Both tasty so get both if you can afford it.

I want to buy the new 2003 Viper. Does anyone know of any dealers taking deposits on them?

Wanna see some neat cars and guns goto. www.bigmantoys.com

I love Vipers and 911t's its just a matter of flavor.

Dan

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

TurboSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turbo Porsche's are seriously overpriced!
Stick with the Viper,spend the extra 40K on mods,and slaughter every 911 TT that comes your way!

Butch The Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I HAVE RACED CARS ALL MY LIFE, FROM DRAG RACING TO SKIP BARBER SEIRES. I HAVE OWNED 4 911 TURBOS 1987,1991, 1996 AND A 2001 WHICH I WAS THE LEAST IMPRESSED, I SOLD MY 2001 TT BECAUSE OF THE POOR PERFORMANCE (LACK OF TORGUE) UNLESS YOU LANCH YOUR TT PORSCHE AT 4000 RPM OFF THE LINE YOU WILL RUN 13'S IN THE 1/4 MILE ALL DAY LONG. TAKE IT FROM ME THE TURBO DOES NOT HAVE THE PERFORMANCE THE MAGAZINES STATE.

---------------
2001 GTS
TOOFST AIR BX
SMOOTH TUBES
S & B FILTERS
ROE CALIBRATOR
BALLANGER HEADERS-EXHAUST
11.9 E.T. 120 MPH
---------------
2001 M3
2001 740 I SPORT
---------------

bad viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay the real deal is.....I wouldn't take my 2001 TT
to the strip with stock clutch/pressure plate/flywheel!!!!
I think it would be gone in one or 2 days of strip use!!!
Porsche didn't design it for hole shots! I've modified mine
it has 480 rwhp, it is very quick but wouldn't begin to take
the abuse the "bad Viper" withstood for 73,000 miles
and 123 bottles of nitrous!!
At 190 mph in the Viper you feel like you are "at risk"
not so much so in the Porsche. It's probably better to feel "at risk" at those speeds????

Butch The Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A-TRAIN, I HAD A 2001 PORSCHE TT, I KNOW MY VIPER FEELS MUCH FASTER THAN MY PORSCHE TT DID AS FAR AS DAY TO DAY DRIVING I AGREE WITH YOU THERE'S NO WAY I COULD DRIVE MY VIPER EVERY DAY.

BAD VIPER, I DISAGREE WITH YOU ABOUT THE DURABILITY OF A PORSCHE, PORSCHE IS PROBABLY ONE OF THE MOST DURABLE CARS AVALIBLE THAT YOU CAN RACE OFF THE SHOWROOM FLOOR. I KNOW I HAVE HAD 7 PORSCHES, BUT I STILL PREFER MY VIPER OVER ANY SPORTS CAR ON THE ROAD.

--------------
2001 VELLOW GTS
TOOFST AIRBOX
SMOOTH TUBES
S & B FILTERS
BALLANGER HEADERS-EXHAUST
SHORT SHIFTER
--------------
2001 M3
2001 740 I SPORT
--------------

Tpup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with A-Train, it's a combanation of gearing and traction. I sold my GTS after 2 years and now own a TT. 1st gear in the TT is very short; if you don't have your hand on the shifter, you'll bang the rev limiter. Frankly, I think 1st is too short in the TT.

Both are spectacular cars. Like the GTS there are lots of upgrades for the TT, you can take it up 60hp with just a chip. I lowered mine to ROW specs and it improved the track times considerably...

Roy

BlackACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 911 turbo is a fast car stock, with a few mods, free flow exhaust, K&N filter set up, I have seen these cars run in to the low low 11's. I ran an 01 on the highway with these listed mods. It was very humiliating, he had a good 7 to 8 cars on me. His total mods where $800. The car maybe nearly twice as much but, it is a amazing car.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have run against my friends 2001 TT many times and I always get him half-way through second! And end up a few car-lenths ahead mid-4th. I am by no means a great driver, as I only this past summer starting going to the track and running quarters! My best time is 12.2, and as most Viper owners getting the traction is a learning experience everytime out!!
His car feels extremely quick, but not as near as fast as the GTS. He agrees completely, and would love to own a Viper but he is 6'11" and can't even come close to fitting in one.
I personally have never seen a TT run in the 11's! But that may be possible with the right driver! Then again, I see Vipers run in 11's many times with Great Drivers!
After finally getting to the track this past summer, I am more addicted then ever, and will be getting some nice mods. in the spring. And with the extra money I am saving(by not buying a TT) I will be waiting on my 2003 to park next to my '98!!
Do I sound Bias? LOL
The TT is a great car, but it isn't a Viper!!

laptopman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love both cars! But today my friend gave me a kick butt christmas gift. I know you guys are gonna hate it but hey I love Vipers,Porsches, and Corvettes.

2001 Corvette Z06
Darth Vader Black
Stage 6 Carrollsupercharger Kit
Stroked 372 with Billet Everything
Gasous Alcohol Intercooler Injection
Dyno 547RWHP "Its really hard to hook it up"
But Freak thats to the rear wheels man!!
I am going to try to get the custom license plate
" STUPID " because this this is scary! It handles ok and the quality of build it total crap from GM but hey it's like this.
Viper-Huge Tasty Prime Rib
Porsche 911tt- Tender Lobster
Z06 700+hp death machine - 1lb Habanaro Pepper Oil Extract

I'll put some pix up this week if you wanna look at it www.bigmantoys.com

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reason the 911 is faster through the 1/4 is because it gets such a huge lead early on, and the Viper just can't make it up in the 1/4. It's also geared to take advantage of it's all-wheel drive. It helps on more than just the launch. In the Viper, you spin in 1st, 2nd, and sometimes in 3rd. In the 911, you don't spin at all.

It's tough to analyze the numbers - yeah, the 911 may "only" be 0.5 sec quicker to 60 or so, but that's a BIG gap an a big advantage in momentum the Viper needs to make up.

The consolation is that a 911 ain't gonna make more than a few 11 second passes before the clutch is toast, and I HIGHLY doubt most owners will launch their cars on the high side of 4000RPM's.

The 2003 Viper should definitely change the tide too...

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone is right. Had the 911 and now have a Viper. It's all traction. I still get a little frustrated racing guys because I know I have the power/torque but I have to be so patient launching and getting the power to the ground. On a rolling start from around 20 mph you should take the Turbo. From a drag strip start at a complete stop, you're lucky to stay close enough in the 60/100 ft range to have a fighting chance by the end. Half a second early on is almost impossible to make up by the end of a quarter mile.

You want to beat a 911 consistently? Make the distance half a mile and make it a rolling start. Or alternatively, convert your Viper into 4WD!

Mike L

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In the real world I doubt there are many 911 Turbo Owners willing to "sidestep the clutch" to acheive those great numbers. On the street, I think the Viper may have the edge.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc