Viper vs. Vette (cornering)

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what will hit the twistys faster and actauly make it through corvette or viper?

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you serious with this question or have you been drinking?

OP
OP
S

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
haha my idiot friend is sitting beside me not believing me the answer so i thought i'd post here and just wiat for the response so i can collect my 100 bucks ;)

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Car for Car, the Viper is faster hands down.

If you dont have any driving skills, you will probably be faster in the Corvette- just because you would have crashed the Viper.

Then again, the Wrecked Viper may very well still be faster... LOL

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock vs stock, on stock tires, the Viper would be faster. Once you start modifying the Corvette, (particularly tires) it will begin to catch up.

Put Hoosier slicks on a Z06 and it may be faster through the twisties than a Stock Viper on oem runflat tires. Depends on the track, who's driving, and a lot of other factors.

RonnieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I owned an '02 Z06 w/Vararam cold air induction system, and traded it for a new stock 04 SRT10, my daily driver. I drive the twisty canyons of Los Angeles almost every day. NO COMPARISON! The Viper easily out handles the Vette!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Quite simple, as there hasn't been one magazine article out , even , where the Vette has equaled the lateral gs of the Snake ( in fact few cars will ). The statement that maybe a Z06 with Hoosiers would keep up , is not really a comparison , as Hoosier makes a killer tire that will increase the g forces on either car by quite a bit. Suffice it to say,the actual limit on a Viper is a bit harder to reach, but isn't the excitement factor part of the reason we purchased the beast?

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quite simple, as there hasn't been one magazine article out , even , where the Vette has equaled the lateral gs of the Snake ( in fact few cars will ). The statement that maybe a Z06 with Hoosiers would keep up , is not really a comparison , as Hoosier makes a killer tire that will increase the g forces on either car by quite a bit. Suffice it to say,the actual limit on a Viper is a bit harder to reach, but isn't the excitement factor part of the reason we purchased the beast?

I'm NOT trying to take up for the Vette, because I'd much rather own the Viper, but I just want to get the data straight. BOTH cars are listed as pulling a 1.0g and pull withing 1mph of each other in the slalom. Depending on the road course (short or long) often determins which will win. In fact in the 8/00 Car and driver the did a shoot out Cobra R vs Z06 vs Genn II Viper and the Cobra came in 1st, the the Z06, and 3rd was the Viper. I will say on a good day with equal driver the VIPER as the edge no doubt about it and probably pull off the win. :cool:

http://www.supercars.net/cars/2001@$Chevrolet@$Corvette%20Z06x.html

http://www.supercars.net/cars/1997@$Dodge@$Viper%20GTSx.html

Guibo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In fact in the 8/00 Car and driver the did a shoot out Cobra R vs Z06 vs Genn II Viper and the Cobra came in 1st, the the Z06, and 3rd was the Viper.
Was that C&D, or was it MT? As I recall, that was MT (the one where they dyno'ed all three cars), and it was the RT/10 that was included in that test. C&D tested them in February 2001 (this time with an ACR), and the Viper set the fastest lap times. Edmunds.com found the same in their test of all three at the Streets of Willow. C&D's Supercar Challenge of '02 also had the ACR coming out ahead of the Z06 (and that was with test editor Larry Webster against Heinricy in the Z06 against Hurley Haywood in the 996TT, which won that year).

Automobile Magazine tested the SRT-10 against the '02 Z06, and both had very similar cornering speeds: the Viper was marginally faster in some, the Z06 faster in others, with the Viper having only slightly faster cornering speeds on the whole.
The way I see it, it would be close like you said. But only if we're talking about the Z06.

SRT-10 vs C5 Corvette: SRT-10 (fairly comfortably)
SRT-10 vs Z06: tie
SRT-10 vs Comm. Ed. Z06 (Z16): probably the Z06
SRT-10 vs C6 Corvette: too soon to say, but probably the SRT-10

Slaloms & skidpads...in the slalom, the Z06 matches exactly the SRT-10 when both are tested head to head:
http://motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0306_spdtest_slalm_z.jpg

But trails rather noticeably on the skidpad portion:
http://motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0306_spdtest_totalper_z.jpg

The '04 Z06 with the revised shocks is said to be a much better handling car than the '03.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even Vette owners know they need tires to keep up with a Gen II Viper. As for a SRT/10 forget about it, Corvette needs a whole new car to keep pace.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you are talking about that hilarious article done at Gingerman where the wimpy scribe admitted the Viper was harder to drive than the other cars, the Snake came in Second, but more importantly I ran 4 seconds a lap faster two weeks later on ancient MXX3s in a stock 98 GTS ( Viper Days event ). Our car is a bit harder to drive at the limit, so often there is a minor discrepancy, but I was assuming you were doing the Gen IIIs against the Z06, and it is not a contest.Why does SCCA still insist on Gen IIs having to run restrictor plates, and Z06s are given free rein, including larger tires?

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As Bill Pemberton posted, Viperdays can be most illustrative of the differences between the Vette and Viper platforms. At VIR, it's not unusual to see Z06's, well-prepared for the track, run two minutes and mid-teens. The fastest Vipers are easily 10 seconds faster than that. I believe Paul Mumford ran several seconds under two minutes there a few years back. The T-1 record is around 2:09 (a Z-06).
Now, stock-for-stock, I agree it would depend on the driver, but the Viper would seem to have the advantage.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ouch, anyone see the 12.9 1/4 time on that Viper link at the top. Yikes.........

I have to discount most of that jibber jabber listed when a Gen I goes those times. They are off by a true second 1/4 mile, man. I think that is the slowest times I have ever seen published for a GenII car.

If a GenII went 12.9 C5 cars would be sticking it to us, not Z06 Vettes.

Back to regular handling discussions, a murkier discussion for sure.

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just don't turn left for too long with too many Gs in the SRT or it will be the slowest car possible. Pity the SRT has the grip but starves for oil.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just don't turn left for too long with too many Gs in the SRT or it will be the slowest car possible. Pity the SRT has the grip but starves for oil.

That's why I have a Comp Coupe oil pan on my SRT

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Comp Coupe Pan and/or accusump system will cure those woes. I do agree with you though, REDICULOUS that Dodge pulled a move like that. They should **** it up and replace ALL SRT pans with CC's at this point, if the customer wants- or at least at a small charge.

vipersrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my Z06 sticks pretty good, but so does my viper....but like we all know, the vette is easier to go fast in for less experienced drivers. if the vipers grip was a 100, the z06 is a 95
- the regular c5 is **** and is no comparison

trumper Z06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:D There's a really nice thread comparing Vipers & Vettes by Debbie Loth over on the SCCA Forum under club racing/ T1 & T2 section.

For some unbiased info you guys might want to review this post at:
www.sccaforum.com

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:D There's a really nice thread comparing Vipers & Vettes by Debbie Loth over on the SCCA Forum under club racing/ T1 & T2 section.

For some unbiased info you guys might want to review this post at:
www.sccaforum.com

It sounds to me from reading some of the posts that the rules/GM involvement have effectively made the Vette the car to beat...The Viper runs restrictor plates and at one time had much skinnier front tires than the Vette[and still won races]...Not to mention GM support and the fact that its much cheaper to run than the Viper/Porsche/Ferrari and its a no brainer which car most would choose to run T1...Also of note D. Loth said the Viper only broke once in the three years she has been running...Engine failure...No tranny or any other brakedowns...Bulletproof she said :cool:

There was a guy that used to post here awhile ago that used to run T1 with a Z06 and he admited the Viper had to be reigned in so that the race could be competative...Thats one of the reasons for the smaller tires up front and restricter plates being added. If left to run free the Snake would dominate the races..Thats why they have the rules to keep things competative...T1 just proves that "under these rules" the Vettes are the cars to beat. nothing more nothing less..imho

Rapid Transit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From my experience and observation, if it's an average driver the Z06 will be faster because it's more forgiving. If it's a highly skilled driver, the Viper will be faster, simply because it has a higher performance limits where its driver is able to extract the maximum potential of the car. But for most Vipers the drivers are not up to the outrageous performance capabilities of the car. All this coming from experience with an 02 Z06, but with an eye towards the snake IF it ever comes out with a coupe. I don't like an open top 500 hp car going around Willow Springs in excess of 120 mph. :laugh:

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So buy a hardtop and put it on and drive in excess of 120mph around Willow Springs! :) Rapid Transit, you are in the WRONG forum. :D How goes it man, see you Sunday, buddy!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang