Viper vs. ZR1 Battle of The SuperCars

JimK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And for Tanner, the little wise ***, what's with the comments on Viper owners - gold chains, mid life crisis stuff?
Dan

Dan -

You what the funny/ironic part of that comment is - I have NEVER heard that said of a Viper owner, EVER. But I have heard that said of Corvette guys for years - before the Viper was even built!

Jim

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Basically, the Viper won.

An easy 5th gear swap and the Viper is right there from 160 mph up.

On most of our US roadracing tracks we just do not use 5th gear very much with stock gear ratios--typically for a few seconds at the end of a straight before going to 3rd or 2nd for the corner. If you use 5th gear to redline on the streets... well just don't do it!

So the 160 mph and up acceleration is great, but mostly for bragging rights as there is little opportunity to test it.

That said, if I had a choice, I would have preferred a close-ratio 5th and 6th from the factory.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my world were admittedly I probaly have 300 street races over the past 8 years...

You aint never going into 5th gear and past 160 mph...NEVER..Usually 140-150 is considered pretty darn long of a race..

typical is 50-130 mph..sometimes 140

IMHO for what I like to do based on the results of that magazine that had the Viper faster to 150 mph and this result with the viper pulling out a few lengths till 160 mph then I would choose the viper hands down...

What makes me truly smile from ear to ear is...........

I got so tired of hearing the c6z06 guys swear that a z06 and a 2008 viper was a drivers race.....when the mag tested a 2008 viper at 0-150 mph in 16.4 verses a 17.9 for the Z06 they all said no it was just a fluke and it's really a drivers race....when all the mags had the 2008 viper CLEARLY trapping 2-3 mph higher in heads up 1/4 mile testing, they said no it was just a fluke and it's a drivers race...when all the street raceing vids of stock 2008 vipers against stock or even bolt on Z06's surfaced and had the viper clearly jogging away...they still said no it's a drivers race between them and the ZR1 will walk away from them both..........

WELL Z06 GUYS..WERE YOU AT NOW WHEN THE VIPER CLEARLY WAS A LIL FASTER THAN THE ZR1 IN HEADS UP TESTING TILL 160 MPH...I dont wanna here it anymore..No your roll and slow down and move to the passing lane and lets those gen4's roll by

mousetom78

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viper won to 60mph, 1/4 miles and to 1/2 miles. In my opinion viper won the drag race. ZR1 won top speed due to gearing ratio. ZR1 out braked viper. Viper looks better IMO. ZR1 is more comfortable.

Did the show forget to tell everyone that SRT10 viper is 20k less MSRP vs a stock ZR1? ZR1 is more expensive car than SRT10.

This shows only makes me want to trade my 03 viper srt 10 for a 08 newer. You can buy an used 08 on ebay for 60-65k all day. You can't touch an used ZR1 less than 95k. New MSRP ZR1 is about 20k higher.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know right????????

I want to hit 500 rwhp with bolt ons and 550 rwhp with stage 1 heads/intake porting...

Anyone could just go by a 550 rwhp 2008 today with warranty and add intake/headers for 600 rwhp..

Jelous isnt even the right word..LOL

BishopTx

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In my world were admittedly I probaly have 300 street races over the past 8 years...

You aint never going into 5th gear and past 160 mph...NEVER..Usually 140-150 is considered pretty darn long of a race..

typical is 50-130 mph..sometimes 140

IMHO for what I like to do based on the results of that magazine that had the Viper faster to 150 mph and this result with the viper pulling out a few lengths till 160 mph then I would choose the viper hands down...

What makes me truly smile from ear to ear is...........

I got so tired of hearing the c6z06 guys swear that a z06 and a 2008 viper was a drivers race.....when the mag tested a 2008 viper at 0-150 mph in 16.4 verses a 17.9 for the Z06 they all said no it was just a fluke and it's really a drivers race....when all the mags had the 2008 viper CLEARLY trapping 2-3 mph higher in heads up 1/4 mile testing, they said no it was just a fluke and it's a drivers race...when all the street raceing vids of stock 2008 vipers against stock or even bolt on Z06's surfaced and had the viper clearly jogging away...they still said no it's a drivers race between them and the ZR1 will walk away from them both..........

WELL Z06 GUYS..WERE YOU AT NOW WHEN THE VIPER CLEARLY WAS A LIL FASTER THAN THE ZR1 IN HEADS UP TESTING TILL 160 MPH...I dont wanna here it anymore..No your roll and slow down and move to the passing lane and lets those gen4's roll by

i think the test is subjective and very biased, tracy even admits it.st - mag test after test showing the Viper losing and by a lot..this is one test and admittedly by a biased crowd. Again, I own both cars and can tell you personally from a mildly skilled drivers perspective, in the real world I believe the ZR1 is a lot, a lot faster. the viper feels fast but im not able to post near the 1/4 mile times or track times (harris hill) with the viper that I can with the Z. just not in the same league imo..but i love both cars...i get a lot more head turns in the viper.

Last edited:

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im sure the ZR1 is fast, and maybe it is a bit faster than a viper but I would have to see it to believe it. I cant seem to get anyone to race me around here, probably because there are no zr1s. Most everything I have seen indicates the vette is faster but i want to see it.

I have still yet to see a good gen4 stock viper vs stock zr1 race. Im talking roll on, something where it takes most of driver skill out of the equation.

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tanner is a little d---****. I was surprised how much the Viper pulled the ZR1 in the mile up to 150. I had always heard how bad the ZR1 was. It would be interesting to see a rematch with the new 2010 Viper lower 5th gear. On another note, how come the bad ZR1 did not win 0-60 even though it has launch and traction control?

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
can someone please show me one head to head article were the Zr1 was faster than the Viper???
Viper was faster in the car and driver article..viper was faster in this testing..

Viper was faster at the ring..

What pubications am I missing were the Zr1 beat the viper????

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
can someone please show me one head to head article were the Zr1 was faster than the Viper???
Viper was faster in the car and driver article..viper was faster in this testing..

Viper was faster at the ring..

What pubications am I missing were the Zr1 beat the viper????

+1 on what he said !
You must be registered for see images attach

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watching the video from an unbiased pov it seems the Viper got the jump with a better launch. Hard to make a factual conclusion on if it was the Vipers tall 5th gear that allowed the Vette to claw back as they kept changing camera angles during the run so we dont exactly know when the Vette started reeling in the Viper. It seems like it was when Paul shifted into 5th like he said but if you look at the race it keeps switching between camera angles that had the Vette being several cars back then to being right on the Vipers tail then all of a sudden its several cars back again. I dont trust this test at all. Its made for TV hijinks.

Should have been an over head continuous shot till the end. Not all that stupid editing to make the race more exiting than it was. Obvious edit job by looping certain parts of the run thats why it looks like the Vette is several cars back then right there then way back again. Pathetic imho. Id much prefer to see this run with two capable drivers at an event like the Texas Mile. Id trust those results much more. I do think the ZR1 is faster than the 08-09 Vipers however what I want to see is the 2010 Viper coupe vs the ZR1. That will be a much closer battle on the big end than the previous year Vipers.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do these cars compare on drag coefficent ? The Vette looks a bit more slippery...You have to wonder if the extra down force of the ACR would nullify the improved 5th gear in the 2010s in a high speed run like this. These cars are so close that any subtle changes could sway the outcome. On the street even the 2009 Viper would seem to have an advantage. Everything else is purely a Driver's race. It also seems that the Viper would benefit from the ACRXs extra 40hp.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes it would and im surprised they didnt give the 10's that 40 rwhp jump..Of course we wont know until they are dynoed

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Being this is a Viper forum, it doesn't surprise me in the least that the ZR1 isn't getting it's just credit. Not saying this because the ZR1 won, but because the ZR1 is hands down every bit the performance car the Viper is. Even if the ACR was compared to the ZR1, the results would be the same: pretty much even, with one edging out the other in different categories. The ZR1 is an amazing machine, the engineering that went into it is absolutely astounding, and deserves credit.

Folks need to realize that any vehicle comparison has variables that is almost never constant between the 2 cars. Drivers, track temps, tire temps, "marbles", humidity, launching, the use of traction control and torque management, or lack thereof, braking with ABS vs not braking with ABS... any way you slice it, there are variables that just cannot be made constant. That said, you can arm chair quarterback the comparison all you want, but at the end of that day, the ZR1 edged out. No need to get all upset about it, it doesn't mean the ZR1 is a better car to the viewers, the chips just happened to fall for the ZR1 this time. You might also notice it always seems to be a close call between any 2 cars that go head to head on that show. They are just trying to make it interesting.

IMHO, if anything I'd be proud of how the Viper did against the ZR1. If you look just at the specs and performance numbers, the ZR1 should have mopped the floor with the SRT-10 in almost every category. Instead, the ZR1 somewhat disappointed me. I think the Viper fans should be proud.

Just my $.02.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you take corvettes top performance package you should take Dodge's top performance package if you want to prove which company's car tops the performance chart. To me either they couldn't find an ACR for the test or they thought it would make a closer race for TV if they did not use an ACR. Either way both cars are great however test is really a win for Viper in my book.

Its so funny how you never see comparisons with the ACR....... I think we have them all intimidated

And don't forget Tanner just spent a weekend with us Viper guys and raced an ACR-X trust me he gets it but TV is TV

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Being this is a Viper forum, it doesn't surprise me in the least that the ZR1 isn't getting it's just credit. Not saying this because the ZR1 won, but because the ZR1 is hands down every bit the performance car the Viper is. Even if the ACR was compared to the ZR1, the results would be the same: pretty much even, with one edging out the other in different categories. The ZR1 is an amazing machine, the engineering that went into it is absolutely astounding, and deserves credit.

Folks need to realize that any vehicle comparison has variables that is almost never constant between the 2 cars. Drivers, track temps, tire temps, "marbles", humidity, launching, the use of traction control and torque management, or lack thereof, braking with ABS vs not braking with ABS... any way you slice it, there are variables that just cannot be made constant. That said, you can arm chair quarterback the comparison all you want, but at the end of that day, the ZR1 edged out. No need to get all upset about it, it doesn't mean the ZR1 is a better car to the viewers, the chips just happened to fall for the ZR1 this time. You might also notice it always seems to be a close call between any 2 cars that go head to head on that show. They are just trying to make it interesting.

IMHO, if anything I'd be proud of how the Viper did against the ZR1. If you look just at the specs and performance numbers, the ZR1 should have mopped the floor with the SRT-10 in almost every category. Instead, the ZR1 somewhat disappointed me. I think the Viper fans should be proud.

Just my $.02.

Most people just get a map when they are lost!

The gearing on the ZRI (shorter 5th gear) was the difference in the mile. You will likely never use 160 mph+ anywhere in a race amd most places on a track. And of course, the 2010 Viper changes 5th gear. The gear swap is also avalable for '08-'09 Vipers. The steering feel in my '06 Z06 was terrible--very light. Not sure if ZR1 has addressed this issue.

Anyway, there is a reason they make more than one kind of car ... .

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
for the kind of tests they run i dont think an ACR would be a better choice than the coupe.
the ACR has much more downforce at higher speeds which would actually hurt it in high speed tests.
0-60, 0-100-0, and standing mile. the ACR tires might have helped on the 0-60- and the braking from 100, but the mile i think the drag hurts the ACR.
the gear change would have easily won the mile for the coupe.

that said, im not even sure the ACR is much better than a coupe on smaller, tighter tracks. (besides the tires) all those aeros really come into play on bigger, faster, roadcourses.

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Most people just get a map when they are lost!

The gearing on the ZRI (shorter 5th gear) was the difference in the mile. You will likely never use 160 mph+ anywhere in a race amd most places on a track. And of course, the 2010 Viper changes 5th gear. The gear swap is also avalable for '08-'09 Vipers. The steering feel in my '06 Z06 was terrible--very light. Not sure if ZR1 has addressed this issue.

Anyway, there is a reason they make more than one kind of car ... .

LOL sorry if I'm ******* in your Viper-shaped Corn Flakes. I'll bet you think the Viper with a gear swap can take the Bugatti Veyron in a top speed challenge too. :rolaugh:

Not trolling here, I'm a huge Viper fan, but I'm also open to the fact there are other awesome cars out there besides the Viper, and not afraid to say so. I'm not down on the Viper at all, and believe that if they did the comparison again, it's possible the Viper could edge it out just by virtue of slightly different variables.

Just my $.02.

99FRC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL sorry if I'm ******* in your Viper-shaped Corn Flakes. I'll bet you think the Viper with a gear swap can take the Bugatti Veyron in a top speed challenge too. :rolaugh:

Not trolling here, I'm a huge Viper fan, but I'm also open to the fact there are other awesome cars out there besides the Viper, and not afraid to say so. I'm not down on the Viper at all, and believe that if they did the comparison again, it's possible the Viper could edge it out just by virtue of slightly different variables.

Just my $.02.

A Viper can beat a Bugatti Veyron with a gear swap:usa:

And some 76mm turbo's with all the goodies!:drive:

Viper is an awesome platform. Add 40-50k (still 1.2-1.4 million cheaper than the Bugatti) in mods and it turns into a beast capable of 7 to 8 second 1/4 mile passes and 220+mph standing mile runs.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am I the only one cussing at the TV saying why not the 2010 ACR?
It was a good show. The ACR has cups and an unfair match for the Vette with PS2s. I like how they kept it equal plus the aero on the ACR would have hindered its 0-60 and 100 mph times from the std. coupe they used. Coupe won anyway on the road course without the ACR package. The best part was the next episode where 2 expensive supercars did not even match the Vette or the Vipers 0-100 times. LMAO

99FRC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just my $.02.

I think we all recognize the ZR1's performance. It is an outstanding American Supercar. What gets me(and most other viper owners) is why the show didn't use the 2010 Viper vs the 2010 ZR1. Everyone knows the the 2010 Viper has the revised 5th gear and would have won the standing mile competition. That would have flipped the win in the Vipers favor.

If your going to have a show comparing current top level vehicles from Chevy and Dodge, bring the most current year for both makes and models.

It would be simular to running an LS2 C6 (instead of LS3) against the new GT-R or M3...why use an older model of the same vehicle against a newer vehicle?

Dads Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a thought here:: So the viper won the 0-60 contest, and the viper smashed the Zr-1 through the 1st 1/4 & 1/2 mile of the standing mile run, but yet the viper looses the 0-100-0 contest, hmm.

I you watched the show, im fairly certain, the viper driver spun his tires leaving on the 0-100-0 run, and was about 1 car length behind the zr-1 throughout this test. Why keep this (1) set of results and call them final, why not run that test, or any others, 2-4 times and take the best results, I would say the same thing if the vette spuns his tires.??

Let see, hmm, its Tanners show, and he's a factory sponsor'd driver for GM, we wouldnt want any GM product to look bad against a lowly "dodge" product would we !!!!!:bsm:

Not an owner but a big Viper Fan. I thought I heard on the show that the Viper was faster to 100 in the 0-100-0 contest but the ZR1 out braked the Viper which to me was NOT a surprise since the ZR1 has the MEGA expensive brakes.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The show illustrates the fact that these are BOTH awesome cars and the results will often be dictated by the driver! (Btw, I owned 3 vettes before the current Viper, including a '06 Z06).

Interesting to note that gearing issues aside, I believe both of these cars were faster in the standing mile than the $500k Gumpert Apollo they tested in another show.

I was going to swap 5th and 6th gears but decided that I would rarely, if ever, use the shorter gears.

I hate to say it, but after watching several of these shows, I would have to say that Tanner Foust is probably the better driver to wring more performance out of each car. The only mishap I saw on any of the episodes was when he blew it on the road course against the Gumpert Apollo.

Anyway, I am VERY pleased to see that cars like the Viper and ZR1 are made and made at price points that mere mortals can at least aspire to obtain!

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That whole show is a pile of garbage.

It always the same two babbling weiners with a jarhead host doing basic tests. I can't stand Tanners face and if anyone noticed, Paul drove the Viper right up to the redline several times missing a few tenths from being Mr. Perfect. Even in the Henn Viper vs Ford GT battle, Paul destroyed the tires and drove the Viper a few dozen car lengths ahead of where the FGT stopped...but it was ok cause Michelin paid their sponsorship, got their commercial in and they put new tires on. Blah.

Thank god we have Top Gear, UK Top Gear. The Stig who is a driver whom nobody knows, lays down lap times and doesn't have to voice his opinion, JUST DRIVE.

--RS

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That whole show is a pile of garbage.

It always the same two babbling weiners with a jarhead host doing basic tests. I can't stand Tanners face and if anyone noticed, Paul drove the Viper right up to the redline several times missing a few tenths from being Mr. Perfect. Even in the Henn Viper vs Ford GT battle, Paul destroyed the tires and drove the Viper a few dozen car lengths ahead of where the FGT stopped...but it was ok cause Michelin paid their sponsorship, got their commercial in and they put new tires on. Blah.

Thank god we have Top Gear, UK Top Gear. The Stig who is a driver whom nobody knows, lays down lap times and doesn't have to voice his opinion, JUST DRIVE.

--RS

Babbling wieners yes, don't know if the host is a Jarhead or not but because of some
of my fellow Jarheads of past years you are able have this website and post anything
you want. What have you done for your country?

Happy Vets day.:usa:

Herc

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Battle of the SuperCars: Viper SRT v ZR1 Video

I have to say I enjoyed hearing one of the guys say he was a Viper guy and tout the Vipers racing history. And then the other guy said he was a Corvette guy but then stated that the ZR1 was basicly the ONLY Corvette that was in the same league as the Viper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang