Viper Winters in the Midwest

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got my first Viper last fall. After only a few months of playing it was time to put her away. So what does a new Viper owner do all winter long here in the snowy midwest? Buy aftermarket parts of course:

You must be registered for see images

I wanted to post this months ago, but I just finished getting all this on the car. Next stop brakes...

OP
OP
B

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Better Belt? you mean there is an upgrade JonB has not tried to sell me? Details please!

Headers and low restriction cats will be in the pile for this winter. I need to get over 450 rwHP. It is obvious that I'm still lacking in driver ability, so I'll look to more horsepower to get me into the 11.9s
smile.gif

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I'm really ignorant, but besides the K&Ns, tubes and spark plug wires, what's the rest of it? What kind of HP gain do you expect from the whole deal??

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put almost the exact same parts on my Viper this Spring. The hi temp 8.5 mm plug wires, new plugs, snake socks plug boot covers, upgraded pcv hoses, and K & N filters. My Viper is currently in the shop with a leaky radiator, so I am getting a new one which comes with the upgraded fan. And as long as they had to take the radiator out anyways, I bought some red Roe Racing silicon radiator hoses. I have a blue with white stripe Viper like you too. I already had red smooth air intake tubes so I got red radiator hoses to match. I thought the red hoses would go nice with the red valve covers. Too bad my spark plug wires weren't red too. But your all blue color scheme should look cool too. John B. was right, that pcv hose upgrade is the best upgrade for your money. My stock pcv hoses were literally falling apart and leaking oil all over. The upgrade looks great.

One question though, what is that blue hose coiled up on the left bottom corner of the picture? Is that to make custom hoses to replace all your other black hoses in the car?

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BoB, do you mean FWHP or RWHP? You'll have to go into the motor for 550+ RW. Look at motor city man..... look at the list of mods he has. He already has the header/pipe set up and is making the exact hp/torque you are making w/o them. I think if you add them you'll only see 10-15 more hp, not the 40-50 you are looking for. But, it will sound great.

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SteveB, I was not too happy with my dyno results given my mods. I only dynoed it once, but they did not use a fan and my hood was closed which led to heat soak. Also, my PCM had a failure at the time that I didn't know about. I hope to dyno it soon and see if there is any difference. Maybe I'll put on some hi flow cats first. My Viper is in the shop now and I found out my header to collector seam is leaking and my O2 sensor is melting. Maybe I am losing power there. But again I was hoping to get more HP on the dyno.

OP
OP
B

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a typo Steve. I ment to say 450 rwHP. I edited the original post to correct it! I'm looking at Mike Pavloff's which is making over 450 to the wheels with Borla headers plus my mods.

Sean,

Yes that is just some blue silicone lines to start replacing the black lines. Long term I plan to have the intake and value covers powder coated blue to match the rest. There were some pictures of a yellow engine posted here recently...

I doubt that heat soak could cost you 25 HP, but once the PCM is not happy you never know what it is going to do (at least I never know).