vipers battery drains FAST!!!

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday I was detailing my car for about an hour and a half and had the music going...when I went to start it all I could hear was a loud pinging type noise (extremely fast too lol). Well anyways tried that about 3 times after waiting a while...lights everything seemed to work but car wouldn't start...the 3rd type I tapped the gas a little and it almost start...4th time I let it sit for about another 30 mins...went back and as soon as I hit the switch i slammed the as and the car woke up to a 4-5k start lol...how come these batterys die so quick??? I used to keep the navigators stereo on for a lot longer and it wouldn't die like that. And what was the loud noise that kept going off everytime I hit engine start :eek: (I'm not exactly the smartest guy when it comes to car mechanics lol)

Ricky :eek:

redsrt03

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never had that problem. Of course when I spend an hour or more tinkering with my Viper, I generally use a portable CD player, just in case.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was talking to the Viper tech from Woodhouse the other day, and he warned me about how quickly the battery goes dead on the SRTs. I never had a problem on my Gen II, but he told me to be careful on the SRT.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 500 watt amp in these cars will knock out a battery fast, especially in an hour and half. A stock non amplified unit will play all day long. The drain is very high if you have it cranked up loud. The drain is every bit as much if not more than a set of headlights on high beam.

Skip White

OP
OP
S

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yikes portable cd player it is from now on...

so what was the loud ticking noise when I was hitting the start button? and more important can that case damage to the car??

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have found the interior lights to be a significant drain as well.

BTW I thought it was "only" a 300 watt system, despite the early 500 - 500 - 500 claims.

Also, you need a good stereo and of course TV in the garage. It is the second office if you know what I mean.
498100_0096-med.jpg

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The clicking noise is from the starter seloniod trying to engage but the voltage is to low. Real common with a low battery.

Skip White

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried to post a photo of my solution to this persistent (for me) battery drainage problem [but I managed to successfully correct MySql and have error messages that refer to my parentage).

In either case, a brief explanation is that I ordered an accessory cable from Battery Tender which I have attached to the bolts on each battery cable. The cable then exits beneath the car (it has a cap to protect the termination).

When I pull into the garage, I immediately attach the Battery Tender (a trickle charger). The car is never in the garage without the trickle charger attached.

At least for me, that solved the problem. Once I have solved what I did to corrupt my database, I'll post the photos.

Alice

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The battery died on me one time too many, so out it went. I bought a good battery that last twice as long...Even when my 1200 watt amps are kicking.

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was talking to the Viper tech from Woodhouse the other day, and he warned me about how quickly the battery goes dead on the SRTs. I never had a problem on my Gen II, but he told me to be careful on the SRT.

Carmen, did you get the pm I sent you last Sat? reply?

TOPGON

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if you were to attach the positive lead from a trickle charger to the postitive terminal post in the SRT engine compartment (normally capped battery jump only post)and the negative lead from the trickle charger to a good ground would the battery take the charge??

OP
OP
S

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm glad i'm not the only one with this problem!

One question I'm still curious about is what was the loud ticking noise and does that case damage to the engine at all?

Thanks for all the input guys!

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm glad i'm not the only one with this problem!

One question I'm still curious about is what was the loud ticking noise and does that case damage to the engine at all?

Thanks for all the input guys!

I think Skip answered that for you.....solenoid trying to engage the starter....very annoying sound.

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill:

Originally, I attached the battery tender just as you described.

I made a more permanent attachment to the battery itself just for convenience when the car is in the garage, but either way works fine.

Alice & The Viper Blog

TOPGON

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Battery Tender Inquiry how long can the battery tender be left connected and plugged in sometimes I will not drive the Viper up to two weeks? I know it's anal but I also have a street rod that I enjoy driving as well.

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A trickle charger has two modes: charging and storage (or similar names dependent upon brand).

When it reaches full charge, it goes into storage mode and remains largely inactive until it senses a dip in the charge.

We had this Battery Tender (brand name) attached to the Harley from fall, 1995, until fall, 2004. For three years, it was not started at all and was "winterized."

It is an inexpensive investment.

Alice & The Viper Blog

TOPGON

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just ordered my Battery Tender Plus for $33.00 plus shipping direct from their site. Pep Boys wanted $69.00 for the identical unit. THX for the pics great idea!!

OP
OP
S

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are we supposed to get the
(01991) $33.95 Battery Tender Plus 12 Volt #0210128
is that the correct one everyones using?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
nomorevette- Yes, the terminal under the hood is for charging/jumping.

For everyone else, I HIGHLY recomend either an Optima Red Top or Optima Yellow Top battery. Well worth the cost. If you like to listen to your radio a lot, Yellow Top is the way to go, albeit a little more expensive.

TOPGON

Viper Owner
Reaction score
STRRICKY FYI Today I received the Battery Tender Plus as advertised for $33.00 bucks and it is the real thing. I had to pay $6.98 shipping and total plus tax was $45.00. It also comes with the leads that are attached to the battery as HEMOTOX described.
Bill

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's also a battery on the market, that has to be the finest battery in the world, it's Hawker Oddesey. They have a 25lb version that is far superior to the 41lb battery the car has in it. What a nice little weight savings on top of it's extreme capacity. I don't have the specs handy, but I can tell you one thing, I used to run there 14lb Harley battery in my GTS. That was a bit small due to the battery cable length, but it cranked the car.

As far as holding up, I'm sure the reserve capacity on the 25lb battery will do better than the oem battery.

and what's up with this battery tender? How long are you guys letting your cars sit? Mine will go dead after about two months, but one month is really no problem.

Skip White

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Skip:

As you know, the security system (etc) draws constantly on the battery. I have seen my battery drain to the click-click point of the start solenoid when the car was not driven for two week. Use the stereo while waxing, and you could have a dead battery when through. For me the Battery Tender(tm) is the last thing I do after garaging the car. It has a quick disconnect and is not inconvenient. I far prefer it to going out to the garage and finding the battery too drained to start. I feel that the battery is big, heavy and substandard at least for my needs.

Alice & The Viper Blog