Vipers Kick ASP at Breathless Vette Viper Shootout......

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers are still on top in most competitive racing segments. Today at Desoto Motorsports Park, Bradenton Dragway, Vipers proceeded to dominate the field of over 100 Bowtie products.

In a nutshell, we ran 9.77 in our BTR GTS which was the quickest time of the entire event, Lee Saunders ran 9.83 in his BTR Prepped GTS, and John Hennessey ran 9.84 in his 1000 TT/with Nitrous to round out the only 9 second cars at the event.

The closest of any GM product was somewhere in the 10.50's I believe. There were several other Vipers that trophied in their classes as well, but I can't remember all of the drivers and times so I will let them follow up with actual numbers.

The rains came shortly after time trials, so the planned "bracket racing" event of the afternoon was cancelled. Trophies were handed out for all of the fastest cars of each class. Of course, the Vipers were alone in the fastest class with no GM competition even placed with us.

There were many nice cars in attendance of ALL brands, LPE Vettes, a few Ferarri models and an Aston Martin James Bond Special was on hand to view the action.

Take Care,

Tom

OP
OP
T

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

We ran today, a total of (4) 9-Second passes all at well over 140 mph.

One thing that I did not see today was a 9-Second C-5 Corvette. Price one of them out, if you can find one, and while you are pricing it, find out how much HP to get it there, my bet will be at least that of our Vipers.

Your camaro friend was not the fastest car of the day, there was also a rear engine dragster there that ran the fastest time, but NEITHER CAR was included in the event as they were both all out drag cars. This event was touted as a streetcar shootout, otherwise we could have raced saturday nite for 50 bucks.

When I think of a Corvette/Viper/F-Body/Impala shootout, I picture drivable cars that could pass a vehicle inspection.

I don't know what the HMS viper has for HP, he was there, you should have asked him.

Not trying to piss you off, but I'd be glad to drive my Viper down from Ocala and race any car from todays event that can follow me that far, pull through the entrance gate and up to the line. I'll wait till next year, and then some, I guess. Like you said, it was a great showing and I was looking forward to handicapping every GM that I raced during the bracket segment that rained out.

We race at Bradenton frequently. Feel free to look us up anytime.

Tom

P.S. All kidding aside, we did have a good time, but please keep in mind that Breathless representatives came to this forum and solicited our participation, we have never went to your forums and stoked a race with you folks. Before I go again, it will have to be a real shootout, not the vipers paired with each other, vettes with each other and so on.

OP
OP
T

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YES, the dragster driver was a looker. On the corvette forum she was the most viewed pic of a gallery containing 177 photos of todays event!!

I think that the rains scared away a few good cars, i know of a few Vettes that can run fast times, that did not show up due to weather.

Have a great evening,

Tom

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well done Tom - astonishingly good times for a street Viper... excellent chassis efficiency for a road car.

Did I hear right that one of the Vipers got a 1.39 60 footer?

That is incredible - someone's gone to a lot of trouble to achieve that in a road going car - even though it must have been on slicks? was it a manual trans?

I know dedicated drag cars running similar power and 14" wide 32" high full on race slicks and drag rear end setups that'd be happy with that 60 foot time. A friend of mine runs 9.4 at 148mph in his 440 wedge, but usually only pulls 1.4 60 footer.

You're a champ!

DaPurpleRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
EXCELLENT! Reminds me of how the Dakota R/Ts show up and sweep Lightning events fairly often.

Good to see the bowties have the excuses the L owners do too. :)

Great running Tom.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4