Vipers to return to ALMS by 09'

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On Speed TV website:

"ALMS: Dodge Forced to Delay GT2 Team Support
Written by: Marshall Pruett
Oakland, CA – 12/18/2007

Dodge has been forced to revise their anticipated support of potential American Le Mans GT2 entrants for 2008. Citing workforce reductions in the wake of budgetary constraints after the Cerberus takeover, SPEEDtv.com has learned factory engineering and financial support of the projected 3-5 Dodge Viper Competition Coupes anticipated for 2008 has been tabled for a possible green light in 2009.

Those entries, all privateer, had been waiting on confirmation from Dodge as to the level of support they would receive in the manufacturer-driven American Le Mans Series. The majority of those privateers are expected to pass on a GT2 program without manufacturer support akin to what their Porsche and Ferrari rivals enjoy.

Primetime Race Group owner/driver Joel Feinberg, having previously announced his entry for the 2008 American Le Mans season, remains unaffected.

Feinberg and co-driver Chapman Ducote made their series debut in Detroit in 2007, with Feinberg preparing in both the SPEED World Challenge GT series and the IMSA Lites category before making the leap to ALMS GT2."

Interesting to say the least. Can't wait to see something like this in ALMS.
You must be registered for see images

--RS

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Woodhouse Performance ( drivers Cindi Lux and Stan Wilson ) ran a car prior to Feinberg , and I know they entertained running in 2008, after a fairly successful run at Mid Ohio. Best of luck to Feinberg, and let's hope they ( ALMS ) give him some concessions to make the car a bit more competitive. 2007 rules make it a bit tough as the car is much heavier than it's competitors and can not be lowered as much. ALMS seemed very excited about the Viper running and heres hoping the Feinberg Team can make some positive inroads for the future ---- appreciate them blazing the trail and we all wish them the best of luck !!!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Actually Cerberus are the ones that actually listened and were viewing pursuing the ALMS move, whereas DC just rejected the idea.
Notice it is tabled , but just taking over the company there are things that the timing wasn't right, but they have kept the door open and kept a very open discussion on the issue.

I would look at it as alot more positive than the reactions given in the past, and the key word tabled should be given some extra thought.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WHAT? GT-2 ? Why bother? GT-2 is the also ran class. Might as well stay home if you can't run with the BIG dogs in GT-1. GTS Bruce

graphite

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would hope to see Dodge Viper win LeMans again. I saw the last private Viper teams compete during my first ever 24 heurs du Mans . I was very proud to be at the race driving a Viper . The reactions of all the Le Mans endurance race 'entranced' spectators that saw my Viper in the parking area of 'tetra rouge' was very, very positive. They even took me to dinner at the hotel on the Mulsanne straight saturday night. My thanks to all the UK guys who made an American feel right at home in the heartland of France.
Driving around the circuit exterior looking for parking was almost as exciting as making friends with people who didn't know me from Adam. The Viper is a statement in and of itself. Automotive enthusiasts from every corner of the world know who you are when you drive a Viper to such an event.
I will never forget driving through Paris near Notre Dam and being verbally encouraged by unknown Parisiennes who knew what a Dodge Viper was. 'french accent please' - V eye Perrr!!! shouted at us on the boulevard as approval and encouragement. I mean me and my Viper. Reminds me of a song too... Me and my Viper strolling on the avenue...
Cerrebus, you wouldn't believe how much positive influence taking part in a simple endurance race in France means for Brand recognition around your world. It is worth every penny invested. Just ask the guys from Chevy and the millions of people who watched the race broadcast around the world.
I guess I was very lucky to see Vipers compete at Le Mans for the last time. Ask Audi or Peugot if the effort is worth the return. Thanks for being positive about Vipers' future Cerrebus. Drew

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did notice the tag on the 08 brochure was 24HR ......Or am i looking into things to much?????

splochocki

Viper Owner
Reaction score
WHAT? GT-2 ? Why bother? GT-2 is the also ran class. Might as well stay home if you can't run with the BIG dogs in GT-1. GTS Bruce

I would like to see Viper in GT-1 and GT-2. With only Corvette in GT-1 it wouldn't be very interesting. Don't get me wrong it would be a fun battle but GT-2 is turning into a great division because of Ferrari, Corvette, Porche, Viper?, Ford GT?. Yes GT-1 is the big dogs but with only 1 dog it's boring.

Please bring the Viper to ALMS in some capacity. Both divisions would be best.

dino

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does any of this mean that we are looking at a 2009 model. I am looking for indicators that the line will not be discontinued after the 2008 model year.

dino

splochocki

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Last time I checked Corvette was not the only BIG dog in GT-1.Aston,Saleen...

Well the races I watched last year. Aston did the 1st race or 2 and then it was Corvette by themselves for most of the year. I do remember something about Saleen popping up but neither of those teams competed a complete year. Maybe they are in 08 and that would be great.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a big fan of both Sports Car Racing and NASCAR, I would much rather see Dodge throw more support towards sports car racing. I don't have any inside track to the accounting figures but I can't imagine the NASCAR investment pays off for Dodge as much as sports car racing would. And now with Toyota entering NASCAR it will dilute Dodge's NASCAR influence even more.

Just get outta NASCAR. Leave GM and Ford spend their money there.

Support the Viper Racing League, ALMS, WC.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well the races I watched last year. Aston did the 1st race or 2 and then it was Corvette by themselves for most of the year. I do remember something about Saleen popping up but neither of those teams competed a complete year. Maybe they are in 08 and that would be great.

You are correct. There were a very few races in the beginning of the season where Corvette had someone to compete against. Eventually the competition got fed up with the GM BS and left. The last few races were comical watching Corvette doing laps like a weekend warrior open track day.

If ALMS is gonna let GM screw up a class then they should at least force them to enter 10 or 12 cars to try to make it somewhat entertaining.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a big fan of both Sports Car Racing and NASCAR, I would much rather see Dodge throw more support towards sports car racing. I don't have any inside track to the accounting figures but I can't imagine the NASCAR investment pays off for Dodge as much as sports car racing would. And now with Toyota entering NASCAR it will dilute Dodge's NASCAR influence even more.

Just get outta NASCAR. Leave GM and Ford spend their money there.

Support the Viper Racing League, ALMS, WC.
Chuck, I agree!!! I lost interest in NASCAR when they made all the cars to the same specs and tube frames and almost all plastic. Now they are turning it into an Import race. I think NoAmericanStockCAR has made a big mistake and is going to loose a lot of race fans.:confused:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, I agree!!! I lost interest in NASCAR when they made all the cars to the same specs and tube frames and almost all plastic. Now they are turning it into an Import race. I think NoAmericanStockCAR has made a big mistake and is going to loose a lot of race fans.:confused:

But I haven't lost interest in NASCAR. I just don't see the value to Dodge for being there, even if they threw more money at it than Chevy does. Maybe if Dodge hired Jeff Gordon, Jimmy Johnson, Tony Stewart and Kevin Harvick, but that lineup would break the bank.

A wisely spent sports car investment will pay off more, IMO.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte