****** in Eastern PA - Coupe question

Zeke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am on the trail of trying to purchase an 06 coupe and I have a few questions, need a little help if possible.

1.We have the basic suburban driveway, an 18 inch or so rise from the street that goes over the sidewalk then up a mild sloping driveway. Would the coupe have any issues with dragging/hitting the chin spoiler in the front while pulling up and over the 18 inch rise ? (I had an 03 Z06 that was lowered and as long as I went in on an angle I was ok, the plastic shroud by the radiator would drag once in a while but it was only three inches off the ground)

2. I have been to three local dealers with coupes and I can not get one of them to at least let me drive it for even one mile. Would any of you with a coupe in or somewhere near the Eastern PA area be willing to give me a quick spin in your car so I can at least get a feel for what the car rides like ? That would be a huge help and much appreciated.

Thanks.....

jdavis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Zeke, why not just measure the ground clearance on one of the coupes that you are looking at. If it is as much or greater than the Z06 that you owned you'll be good.

OP
OP
Z

Zeke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did measure and the viper is about 1.5 inches lower on the bumper but two inches higher than the lower plastic shroud on my old Z. Problem is the Viper will have a different angle of approach as its wheels are set closer to the front bumper/spoiler than my old Z whose wheels were further back from the front corner. I think that will make a differnece on how the car will tackle my drive way but I am no engineer....

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm from eastern pennslvania. Carlisle area. You can come check mine out, (its for sale) Open MSO (certificate of orgin from Dodge). If you buy it you can ride in it.

WILDASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Zeke,on the ground clearance,you should be fine with the Viper.My 03 Z06 would occaisionally scrape the chin spoiler on the exit/entry to my driveway-I don't have the problem with either my Viper or the 06 Z06;I do have to take it slow,though.

On the ride issue,the coupe drives and feels very much like the SRT-10 vert;you'll notice little difference on the street.The main difference you would notice is visibility to the sides and rear;you'll find you have to use your side mirrors much more in the coupe.The coupe feels like it has less headroom,though it won't be an issue at all unless you're over 6' tall.If you feel ok getting in and out and sitting in it(I assume a dealer will let you do that much),you'll be fine.

OP
OP
Z

Zeke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for the posts.

WILDASP: I was assuming that the coupe would be a little quieter inside the cabin and a little more solid ride due to more rigidity with the fixed roof/coupe. I drove an 05 Copperhead and it seemed to have a little less head room with the roof up compared to the coupe I sat in ? I am about 6'1 230 so I am not that tall. The Copperhead I drove seemed to be a little noisy in the cabin and there was some blow by around the windows. Maybe it was just that one that I drove ?

FRANK: I am assuming you are a dealer ? I have looked at/sat in two FE coupes, one in PA and one in NJ. I have no trade and will not need a loan. So far, these two dealers have offered their cars for $84,795 and $83,250. The lower of the two was the DC rewards plan price as the one dealer honored that program since I work for Penske. From what I am told these are very competitive prices as I am new to the Viper world....

WILDASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Zeke,the cockpit of the coupe is a bit quieter than the vert-I noticed the same wind noise in my Copperhead;interestingly,it diminished after the top had been up and down a few times.The little wind noise you get in the coupe seems to come from the outside mirrors.You're correct in assuming the coupe feels stiffer and more rigid,especially at higher speeds.Doesn't affect ride comfort but does improve handling.The headroom thing won't be an issue for you.I think you'll like the coupe. :2tu:

OP
OP
Z

Zeke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may get roughed up for saying this but I have owned corvettes and mustangs the past 18 years. I wanted to try something different. I really like the coupe, the look of the car gets my heart going and my blood flowing.

I am used to having the electronic helpers/nannies in the vette. That is my only true concern with the Viper along with the clearence issue with my driveway. I have been to a few Skip barber intermediate driving schools but I am really just a weekend warrior and nothing overly special from a driving skill standpoint.

But, when I took my three year old son with me to look at the coupe yesterday, both of us just stood there with a big ass grin on our faces. Once my son looked at me and said "dad, look at that race car, can I ride in it with you" I was officially sold !!! :cool:

WILDASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Zeke,a lot of us here made the transition from the Vette to the Viper.You've had first-rate professional instruction,so you should adapt to the Viper pretty easily.Contain your enthusiasm with the right foot until you get the feel of the car and you'll be fine.The Viper has a very communicative chassis,and the handling is actually pretty benign and predictable once you're used to it.I had a Vette(03Z06)before my first Viper and made the transition with no problems,and I wouldn't classify myself as better than an intermediate driver.If anything,not having the electronic nannies to rely on has made me a better and smoother driver. Let us know when you get your Snake-you're gonna love it!

OP
OP
Z

Zeke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the post. I feel better and better about the Viper and my driving skills. I can be my own worst enemy at times in that I usually underestimate my driving skills. I am really looking forward to finalizing a deal here some time in the near future. Then I can start worrying about which cat back exhaust to buy and other important things.... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine