VOI 8: THE HOTEL (pics and commentary)

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While Joe has simply outdone himself in the picture category, I thought I would add some more details and impressions after getting a "sneak peek" at the upcoming Viper Owners Invitational this past weekend. Because I shot a LOT of pictures, I will separate the posts by hotel, track, and Friday night. First, the hotel.

As you pull up to the Gaylord Texan, you realize that this thing is a monster - as in HUGE. Completed just a few months ago, everything is shiny and new. Take the underground garage for example. This 600-space parking palace doesn't even have oil stains on the floors yet. If you weren't driving your Viper you would almost feel guilty parking there:

You must be registered for see images

You head upstairs and over to the hotel. As soon as you enter the front doors you realize that everything in the Texan is big, starting with the hallways to the lobby:

After you check in, the best way to your room is usually a detour through part of the atrium. The minute you enter the atrium you are stunned by the shear size of the place:

After a slight miscommunication when we checked in, we soon found ourselves in a very comfortable room with a balcony overlooking yet another "wing" of the main atrium:

Realize that all of this is under glass and out of the elements. Rain, heat, or high winds - doesn't matter at this property as you are always cool and comfortable as you explore your surroundings. Once you start that exploration, here are just a few things you will find. First, you will find several restaurants and bars in this facility. Here is one:

Here is another:

And here is the TV screen in yet another bar. Did I mention everything is HUGE?

You then have your indoor pool:

And your outdoor pool, complete with a "waterfall" of sorts:

Want to go for a walk? Head down to the riverwalk area where you can stroll by the indoor waterfalls and rolling stream:

Or perhaps you want to take a walk outside by the pool and check out the hotel's private vineyards:

Or you can go drop a few tokens at the video arcade:

Too much play and not enough work? No problem! In addition to a full-service spa, you can also get in your workout at the gym (assuming you can get past the balding bouncer as seen below ;) ):

They even have free weights, including the racks for squats, benchpress, etc.

Okay, so now it is time to head over to the convention center to check out some Viper memorabilia and go to the excellent dinners. Worried about the weather? Don't. Like everything else at the Gaylord Texan, it is connected in style:

Once you get there, you can go to a couple of different floors to take it all in. You might first stop by the large exhibit hall which will house the Viper memorabilia:

As those that have attended previous VOI's know, this place will be FULL of some awesome stuff from various vendors, including Dodge. Be sure to bring you wallet and make some room on your credit cards beforehand! Of course you will want to do it on a full stomach, and our brief encounters with the banquets crew demonstrated that they know how to prepare and serve a meal. Plan on some excellent three-course meals with all the trimmings. And don't forget that as in years past, there is an open bar before and during your meal.

Of course you will NEVER be bored at one of these meals, as the guest speakers and VIP's will keep you entertained while you dine. I also have it on good authority that you will once again see the "flying SRT's" in the form of full-size Vipers and Rams that are remote controlled and filled with helium. And while there was no confirmation specifically, I personally think that you will see something spectacular make it's way to this stage:

This is when I fully expect the checkbooks to start flying! :2tu: What could possibly top that? Well if it is what I think it will be, not much. Nonetheless, how about a night on the town? No worries about driving the Vipers at night, as you will be treated to a luxury coach that will whisk you away to your Friday Night at Billy Bob's Texas.

Note that the busses for ALL events (track and cruise if you aren't driving or riding in a Viper) depart from between the convention center and hotel:

So what did I think of the hotel overall? On the downside I would say that it is pretty expensive, especially if you don't think you will take advantage of some of the things offered there. I would also note that because the property is so new, many of the staff seemed to be less that perfect in how they handled things at times. Most were excellent, but a couple folks left me scratching my head. Likewise with some of the equipment, like the "Riverwalk B" elevator that won't actually take you to the Riverwalk - the button for the lower level is disabled. Hopefully a few more months in between will iron out most of these hiccups.

On the plus side, the hotel is so new that you don't worry about stuff being broken down or crappy. No rust on the faucets, no stains on the ceilings, and everything works (except for that damn elevator). The parking is excellent (and FREE to registered VOI attendees) and everything very accessible. The food was excellent, including the breakfast buffets which are provided as part of your VOI package. I would guess that the meals alone make up a good $200 of your entry fees. And would also guess that some people will drink another $200 worth of entry fees at the open bars ;) . Best of all, unlike most hotels it is almost impossible to get bored here. Get stuck in any other hotel and you are twiddling your thumbs and watching reruns on cable. At this property you can stay busy without ever going back to your room. I still wish it was less expensive, but I will say that it is indeed an awesome hotel.

Be sure to look for my other posts on the track and Friday night activity!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21