WAS THE VIPER MADE FOR THE 1/4 MILE?

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'VE HEARD A LOT OF YOU GUYS SAY THAT IT'S NOT. THAT IT DOES WELL IN THE 1/4 BUT WASN'T MADE FOR IT. I'VE NEVER UNDERSTOOD THAT.
confused.gif
I THINK THE VIPER WAS IN FACT MADE FOR THE 1/4 MILE. IMO THE #'S SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES. 12.2 STRAIGHT FROM THE FACTORY. 11.8 IN AN ACR. THERE ARE NO CARS FROM THE FACTORY THAT CAN BEAT THAT. IF THERE ARE, IT CERTAINLY IS AN INCREDIBLY SHORT LIST! I'M THINKING MAYBE 2, 3 CARS AT BEST. AND ONE OF THOSE IS A TURBO CAR.

I'M SURE DODGE KNEW THIS WHEN BUILDING THE CAR, SO WHY DO SO MANY GUYS SAY, "THAT'S NOT WHAT IT WAS MADE FOR??"

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Dodge wanted the Viper to do well in the 1/4 mile they would have made it taller, used a softer suspension, and given it an automatic transmission and a solid rear axle. The reasons people say "not made for the 1/4 mile" are numerous, but the two most obvious are (a) 1/4 mile cars always use solid rear axles for strength purposes, and (b) 1/4 mile cars are always set up to put as much weight as possible on the drive wheels. The Viper, on the other hand, has an independent rear suspension (great for cornering, lousy for launching) and a stiff suspension (see above).

Vipers do well in the 1/4 only because they are so powerful.

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by treynor:
If Dodge wanted the Viper to do well in the 1/4 mile they would have made it taller, used a softer suspension, and given it an automatic transmission and a solid rear axle. The reasons people say "not made for the 1/4 mile" are numerous, but the two most obvious are (a) 1/4 mile cars always use solid rear axles for strength purposes, and (b) 1/4 mile cars are always set up to put as much weight as possible on the drive wheels. The Viper, on the other hand, has an independent rear suspension (great for cornering, lousy for launching) and a stiff suspension (see above).

Vipers do well in the 1/4 only because they are so powerful.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

THANKS A LOT TREYNOR. I HAD NO IDEA. NOW I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND & AGREE. AND I'VE LEARNED YET SOMETHING ELSE ABOUT THE VIPER!
embarass.gif

THANKS!

BLS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Ben,

I couldn't help but notice that you changed your "Signature File".

Are you still expecting to take delivery on your DLM Stage III Supercharger Package in April?

Or, has that been delayed?

Please let those of us who are considering a DLM Supercharger know how progress on your car is coming.

Thank you,

Byron