water dripping in!

pingi3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok first let me start off by saying thanks to all who have welcomed me and helped with good advises.

I have some more questions. First I went out side to check on the viper and got to sit in the pasenger side for the first time. It is raining and water is dripping in from under the passenger side dash. Is this a common thing and a simple fix?

Second what is the yellow arrow that lights up when I am in first gear? Sorry but I do not have the owners booklet cause the seller did not have it with him when I picked her up.

thanks guys.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The yellow light is the UP-SHIFT light, suggested by the FEDS to help you with gas mileage. When that light is LIT, and you try to shift 1-2, it dumps you into 4th. It lights when your gas pedal is less than 1/3 depressed, AND your RPMS are under 2700 or something like it.

It mostly bothers NEWBEES ONLY, and those who travel in bumper-bumper rush traffic that 'accordians' along. $50 fix

Search "SHIP SHIFTY" on this site.

You left your new BUMBLEBEE out in the RAIN? "You are Not Worthy" !!!

It is likley a windshield sealer issue and simple for a glass place to fix.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The water may be coming from the A/C-heater box? Check the drain on the box to see if it's blocked.

For the yellow arrow, FLOOR IT and it will leave you along!! :drive:

OP
OP
P

pingi3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You left your new BUMBLEBEE out in the RAIN? "You are Not Worthy" !!!.

Yeah I knew someone would say that. I am waiting to get the car detailed before I get real anal about the car. It needs a good wash and wax. Been sitting in a warehouse/garage.

OP
OP
P

pingi3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your input. the windshield sills look brand new so it might be the drain being clogged. Will check first thing tomorrow.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might look at ebay for your owner's manual and maybe some service manuals if you are handy that way. And then, put some pics of that bad boy up!

Other than that, you can't go wrong with advice from Chuck the Wizard.

Heck, he can even sell you the parts if you need them!

Reaction score
Well actually the water is more than likely coming from a defective or mis aligned DOOR opening seal. The water will follow it down the corrupted path and actually run under the dash along the bracing then dump on the floor. 10/1 that is the issue.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Second what is the yellow arrow that lights up when I am in first gear?

If you find that you are not blocked from shifting from 1st to 2nd when that arrow lights up, then someone has already installed a Skip Shift eliminator (or the 10 cent resistor as I did.) I have stop and go freeway traffic to contend with occasionally; and, I'll be damned if I'll let some corporate or federal ****** force me to shift into a gear that I don't want to shift to.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Skip shift is downright dangerous. If for some reason you get caught in fourth gear and an emergency comes up good luck. The Viper is at least forgiving but my old GTO ('06) with only 400HP and a lousy torque curve almost got me killed. I was barely able to get away from a car running a red light. The problem is that the system works only when your driving really lazy and the engine is out of it's torque curve. That's when you have no options.

Blue Pilot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Check the pocket on the back side of the driver's seat for your manuals. There have been many people (including myself) who did not know that pocket held the manuals.

OP
OP
P

pingi3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Check the pocket on the back side of the driver's seat for your manuals. There have been many people (including myself) who did not know that pocket held the manuals.

Thanks for the tip. Checked and it is not there. I hope the seller finds them.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
pingi, just another thought for you, there is a service manual (the shop manual, not the owners manual) for sale in the classifieds for a ridiculous price right now. It's for an '01, but I don't know that mechanically there is any difference between the two years.