Water temp gauge needle goes to red , engine coolant is normal

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What other Chrysler vehicle shares the same water temperature sending unit with 99 GTS ? Dealer quote me $ 89 and takes three days to get it from Toronto. Gauge needle goes to red with ignition on ,engine cold. Stays at 0 with pigtail disconnected ,ignition turned on.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What other Chrysler vehicle shares the same water temperature sending unit with 99 GTS ? Dealer quote me $ 89 and takes three days to get it from Toronto. Gauge needle goes to red with ignition on ,engine cold. Stays at 0 with pigtail disconnected ,ignition turned on.

Get the one from the dealer. Many threads on this. Call Tator.

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the wire going to the sending unit. I had similar thing happening to my oil pressure gauge just days ago. Ended up being a loose connection to the sensor.

OP
OP
V

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The pigtail from the harness that goes on the sensor is a secure water resistant plug with four contacts . Wished it was just a simple single wire setup. Wonder if there's a wiring diagram to check the four prungs on the sensor to check resistance .Seems like a short developing in the sensor itself to swing the needle to the max. This scenario happened breefly last summer while driving steady on a long haul.I pulled over, checked for overheating and found everything normal .Waited a couple of minutes before restarting while observing the needle going down to its normal range and got home on the remaining 200 mile trip. So the intermittant problem turned permanent now.Did plug/unplug a few times hoping to get a cleaner contact [ probably volts/ohm sensitive to the computer itself] . The only other electronic problem I ever had with Chrysler products was my 1990 Cherokee's crank sensor plug .Needed to use contact cleaner once a year on the connector close to the firewall to make sure I won't get stranded. Developing a voltage drop [ dropping only a few tenths of a volt ] it inhibited the computer to send signal to the distributor to fire up the engine.Friend worked at the dealership telling me they replaced a lot of distributors for years before they figured out what caused the problem. Some poor bas...s paid a lot of money for this service.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang