Wavy panels

Legalfish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my first Viper last year after owning many Corvettes, etc. It's a 2008 Orange coupe with white stripes. I really love the car, but have a question for those of you with much more Viper experience than I have. Like most of you, I am pretty particular when it comes to my cars. I noticed that on the driver's rear quarter panel there looks to be some irregularities in the panel - translation: when looking in a certain light and at a certain angle, some areas look wavy, dimpled, and slightly pressed. Yet, there are no "dents" per se (don't even think those plastic panels will dent without a bunch of effort). Mind you, the areas I describe are few, but definitely there. They cannot be felt by floating your hand over them. Most people wouldn't even notice unless pointed out to them and with the proper conditions. Is this normal stuff for these cars? Or, should I be worried and ask the dealer to do something about it? Thanks very much.

Last edited:

Blazeone

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've seen a couple like that. It's on a car by car basis as some are better than others.

While your looking you should notice how much better the paint is compared to vettes. Very little to zero orange peel. My 02, 04 vette coupes and my '08 Z06 had terrible orange peel.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great picture of the Orange Coupe w/H-spoke wheels~~! Never had a problem with paint on our '05, nor our Vettes nor our '08. ~juli

Jeff Monheim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have been told by my Paint Guy, He is excellent by the way, Elma Collision in Elma NY. That it comes from the variations or some type of body panel mold imperfections, it is not damage to the panel but the paint takes on the slight shapes and swirls so to speak. You will not feel it or be able to wet sand it out. It is just how the paint lays on the body panel is those spots.
I hope you understand what I was trying to say, I am not the paint GURU that Mark from Elma is, I am sure he explained it better to me than I did to you.

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some people have the eye for this and some do not.
Both of my Vipers have this, it is very Minor. Every Viper I have ever seen has at least a little.
Juli,
I would think that Legalfish or myself could find the same in your car as well, like I said most will never notice and most could not even pick it up if it was pointed out to them.