Way to test TPMS sensor?

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The tech at my Dodge dealer popped the strap holding the TPMS sensor and bent the end of the sensor, the part with the valve stem. He said it is still OK but when I shake it I hear something rattling - the black part of the sensor itself was not damaged.

So, is there a way to test it so I know if I need a new one?

DavidSB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine happen to be off because I'm switching wheels so took two sensors and shook them. I don't know if this helps, but they make a faint rattling noise as if there is a small ball bearing moving about 1/4" inside. I suspect this is the inertial power switch that turns them on with wheel rotation.

Without hijacking your thread, I'd like to ask others looking here if anyone has mounted OEM sensors on Forgelines to the internal sensor mounting bracket and, if so, do you remove the stem core (valve) or leave it in place?

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One way to test is to simply shake them, and see if the receiver picks them up. I have no experience with the system used on the SRT's, but I have SmarTire systems in my Gen II and my Durango, and they also have a rattling sound, which I hear is indeed part of the switch that turns the unit on when motion is detected (so they don't discharge all of their battery power when sitting still). With the SmarTire transmitters, shaking them will cause them to send a signal, which should be picked up by a receiver that is looking for that particular (code-numbered) transmitter. I don't know how much of this applies to the SRT TPMS system, but I imagine it all does.

OP
OP
viperbob

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is why I kinda miss my first Viper, a '94 - no airbags, runcrap tires, power windows, etc. Maybe my 7th Viper will be buying back my first one (I know where it is).