weird alarm problem

blownrunner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2002 gts: I can lock and unlock the doors, but can't arm the alarm, and led won't flash. I press the lock button on transmitter and the horn honks three times and the led on the dash flashes three quick times and then nothing. Looked in my service manual and owners manual and when the lock button is pressed the horn should honk only once. The horn only honks once if either door, rear glass, or hood is open when the lock button is pressed, then if you close whatever is left open, the horn will honk three times, dash light flashes, and then nothing.

I just got this car so I am fixing small things here and there and this alarm has me stumped. I turned the ignition on and off a few times and played with the key lock in the center console, and I actually got it to arm only one time for some reason. Alarm went off when I opened the rear glass and the key in the glovebox shut the alarm off but the same thing happens. Still get three beeps from the horn, dash light flashes, and it will not arm the alarm again.

How do you reset this thing so I can arm the alarm again? And what does three chirps mean when you try to arm the alarm?

When I got the car, the hood switch was gone and the connecter was cut out, but the two wires were connected so the alarm was told the hood is open. I bought a new hood switch, switch bracket, and installed a new harness plug, and I know the hood switch works. The interior lights come on when either door is opened, so the door switches are working. Also fixed the rear glass switch, because now the light back there goes on and off as it should. This is what I hate about used cars and figuring out what previous owners did.

Thanks, everyone, I am a little lost here.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Assuming that you have a good, fully charged battery, you MAY have a failing electronic entry module ( E E M). Do the L E D's I'm the inside door handles stay on longer than two minutes?

OP
OP
B

blownrunner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the reply, did some searches and other people have had the three beeps when arming problem as well, but it seems no one has a solution. Figured out the problem, but do not know if it is fixed. Funny how neither the owner manual or the service manual mention the three beeps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang