Weird phenomenon; car stalls out at mid rpm's

Flyntgr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Weird phenomenon; car stalls out at mid rpm\'s

This has never before happened to my '05 SRT10 (11,000 miles). When I accelarated the car through first,second and starting into third, it got flat, slowly accelarated and then stopped accelerating entirely, fluttering and giving off an exhaust smell. I've been hearing something in the exhaust give a tinny rattle, but no engine light or anything. On the other hand, last week I also had to add gas treatment for water removal because the engine light did come on last week, and the engine idled rough, although it didn't flatten out when revving. It idles smoothly now, with no engine light. Could this be: 1. fuel pump going bad, 2. gas filter fouled, or 3. exhaust plugged with muffler baffle or CAT fouled? Since no engine light, and car runs fine at partial throttle up to 3,000 rpm, I'm stumped. Any suggestions as to cause? I do plan to take her to the Viper Tech asap, but I'm wondering if you have had any such happening? Thanks. :rolleyes: Reggie

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Weird phenomenon; car stalls out at mid rpm\'s

I have over 11K miles too on my 05 but no problem like yours yet.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Weird phenomenon; car stalls out at mid RPM\'s

sounds like you got yourself a load of bad gas with a ton of water in it. Water will do what you are describing. The light came on because it sensed a misfire when the engine ran rough, you need to clear the code or disconnect the positive battery cable from the fuse box under the hood. make sure you have the car keys in your pocket, and the windows down, as the viper will go into theft mode when you reconnect the cable. Then reach in and turn the key to the run position only and let everything reset itself. Then turn off the key. I would drain the tank, or pump it out, change the fuel filter and change the plugs as they are cheap. Then buy a 5 gallons of gas in a clean container and let it sit so you can see if there is any water in the bottom of the container. If it is clean dump in a can of dry gas and mix it up. Then put it in your car and take it for a ride for at least 30 miles until it is hot. The tin sound could be anything from a loose heat shield, a broken cat, or a loose muffler clamp. Let me know how you make out, Robbie

OP
OP
F

Flyntgr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Weird phenomenon; car stalls out at mid RPM\'s

Problem solved by Vipertech. The Throttle Position Sensor/Mapp Sensor was bad. Easy fix once the part arrives. The car drove, albeit it slowly (65-75 mph) to the dealership sixty miles away. Steady "engine check" light, not flashing. The fuel may have been watered or not, but the TPS problem could've started the whole thing. Thanks guys. R