Well, I might be selling...

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
my wheels..not the car, just the wheels/tires.

The 20" have the look I want and the Nitto Invo's have been good. But since I upgraded from the supercharger to the turbos, I need more traction. Nitto's were fine for the paxton. I want to go with the Cups or the Hoosiers and they only come in 19's. I know several people here have the Cups or the Hoosier R6's. I would like to hear from some of you who have either on a high HP car as to what your feelings are.

I am leaning toward the cups because the car really is a daily driver 50% time right now. Is the traction on the cups really that much better than the Nitto's?

I am afraid of the chunking and possibility of being caught in the rain with the R6's.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Before you ditch the sweet wheels, id Seriously look at the 335/30/20 PS2. It hooks great, almost too good. Also, because it is taller, it changes your gearing. Seems alot of the TT guys go down to lower gearing for better traction. Wellif you have a bigger tire, it helps slow your tire spin and the larger sidewall has a little more flex for better traction. And it is as wide as your 345 Nitto. Its a amazing tire, so if you stay with 20's, try them out.

OP
OP
P

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
MikeR, thanks for the input, but....my fronts are 20 as well and I would still be swapping out at least the fronts.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
PJJP,

The Cups won't hold your power and just plain **** when cold (tread wear rating of 100). The PS2's (tread wear rating 220), which are less sticky than the Cups, won't hold the power either - they are downright dangerous with big power. I have a new set sitting in storage right now that I had on my Paxton car (925 rwhp) for about 1 week. Scared the "sh_t" out of myself one night when they broke loose while accelerating in 3rd gear.

The Hoosier A or R 6's will do pretty well when warm, but then there's always that chance of getting caught in the wet.

Nitto makes a drag radial (tread wear rating 100) than does much better than the cups traction wise and does OK in the rain, but they are 18's. I have a set on the back of my Paxton car now.

Likely the best all around tire for the rear of your car would be the Kumho Ecsta V-700's. Very sticky tire (50 treadwear rating), fully treaded and pretty good in the wet. These too are 18's.

At twin turbo power level, you will go through a set of Kumho rear tires every 10K miles or so, but the traction will be very good, even at 900 to 1000 rwhp and you can drive on them every day.

Good luck,

Dan

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If all else fails sell me your twin turbo kit for .50 cents on the dollar, that will take care of your traction problem and you can keep those wheels...................problem solved!!

OP
OP
P

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I really do not want to go with 18's...

So I think my options are Cups or Hoosiers for 19's and PS2's for 20's

Which tires scared you?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads