Well i took the viper in for an oil change.....

SPARKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took the viper in for an oil change to the dodge house and the guy comes back and says your car wont start, you need a starter! $500 for a new one. I was pissed because every time i get in and drive it it starts fine for me. It dig drag a few times but it always started. You know ive been driving it for 2 years and it starts up for me every time. Maybe its just coinsedence. Does anybody else here feel like just because you got a viper everyone bites your head off when it comes time to buy something? I feel like i was took but who knows maybe he was telling the truth and not just trying to get more money out of me because i drive a viper.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd get the part from one of our supporting dealers (and hopefully save a few $$) and then let them put it on (if you can't). That way you don't get the open cheek special pricing on the part.

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably a coincidence. This happens in my shop occasionally. Would've happened to you anyway and possibly left you in a worse situation and maybe at a worse time. Look at it this way-- saved you a tow bill.Why not just do the routine maintenance yourself? Not picking on you, only a question. John

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not to sound condesending, but did they check the neutral safety switch off the clutch petal? What do you mean by "dragging"? If it was staying engaged to the flywheel you may have other problems too. I had my starter rebuilt for $100 last year (with lifetime warrenty) It takes all of 5 minutes to take the starter out.

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have rebuilds here at 160 exchange.As cycleryan said have your problem confirmed.These are gear reduction starters and pretty resiliant...Good luck