Well they finally blew!

Rheeder218

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Im sure all of you know what is coming next. Yes my head gaskets blew on my 94. I have the gaskets on order from the dealer i deal with for parts. Now i need to find a service manual. Does anyone have suggestions. Also is there any other gaskets that need to be replaced when replaceing the head gaskets? (ie: gaskets, hoses, any parts that are known to fail)

ryan94rt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
if you ordered the upper head gasket set...around 2k now!:omg:...you should be covered...as for other things you should replace, replace the thermastat while you're in there...most people that i talk too have done this for safe measure and it is very difficult to change after the fact...plus you 'll need to replace all these gaskets again if it fails later. i picked a thermastat up on ebay when mine went (way cheaper than the dealer)...ebay is a good source for your service manual too...i got mine there too!

if you haven't ordered the entire upper gasket set let me know...i could look for my order sheet which broke down what all came with it!!;)

OP
OP
R

Rheeder218

Viper Owner
Reaction score
if you ordered the upper head gasket set...around 2k now!:omg:...you should be covered...as for other things you should replace, replace the thermastat while you're in there...most people that i talk too have done this for safe measure and it is very difficult to change after the fact...plus you 'll need to replace all these gaskets again if it fails later. i picked a thermastat up on ebay when mine went (way cheaper than the dealer)...ebay is a good source for your service manual too...i got mine there too!

if you haven't ordered the entire upper gasket set let me know...i could look for my order sheet which broke down what all came with it!!;)

yeah if you could give me a break down of all the gaskets that will be needed that would be great thanks

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you ordered the upper head gasket set...around 2k now!:omg:

Not so Ryan,
#4626640AE MSRP $1250.00 VCA discount = $1000.00 [in stock]

Rheeder218,
If you want, give me a call and I can give you some tips as to how to do this job.:cool: I have now done hundreds of GENI head gaskets!
914-763-3136

OP
OP
R

Rheeder218

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not so Ryan,
#4626640AE MSRP $1250.00 VCA discount = $1000.00 [in stock]

Rheeder218,
If you want, give me a call and I can give you some tips as to how to do this job.:cool: I have now done hundreds of GENI head gaskets!
914-763-3136

i will give you a call

its looks pretty straight forward, hood, intake, covers, exhaust, heads. but im sure theres a few trciks to doing this project.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Im sure all of you know what is coming next. Yes my head gaskets blew on my 94. I have the gaskets on order from the dealer i deal with for parts. Now i need to find a service manual. Does anyone have suggestions. Also is there any other gaskets that need to be replaced when replaceing the head gaskets? (ie: gaskets, hoses, any parts that are known to fail)

How can Chuck Tator and/or PartsRack qualify to earn your business PLEASE?

We have the parts, experience and advice.......we neeed your business to survive.

We are trying hard................Thanks.

ryan94rt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
sorry chuck...i thought they were pushing 2k now...i think i read that here no less!...when i got them a few years ago they were just over 600 dollars shipped...even at 1250 they have doubled since then...yikes

OP
OP
R

Rheeder218

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I already bought gaskets from my dealer, they were 300 something a piece, thats with my discount. I just need to make sure i get all the gaskets and w/e else is needed to do this job.

Dan Aseere

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just finished the head gasket job on my 94 rt 10. Could not have done it without the help of the "Wizard". With Chucks guidance it turned out to be a fun project. He sent me all the gaskets I needed and also recomended a new 180 degree themostat. Very easy to install with the heads off. Take your time and enjoy it.:)

OP
OP
R

Rheeder218

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes jsut got off the phone with Chuck a few hours ago. WHAT AN GREAT HELP! Made sure i had everything needed to do the job also recommended the thermostat, and the Roe cooling set up. I think i will be diggin in to this; this weeekend. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks again Chuck!

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes jsut got off the phone with Chuck a few hours ago. WHAT AN GREAT HELP! Made sure i had everything needed to do the job also recommended the thermostat, and the Roe cooling set up. I think i will be diggin in to this; this weeekend. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks again Chuck!

Your very welcome anytime! Good luck with the job and if you have any questions while doing it, don't hesitate to call me!:cool:

Lexciting

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How did you know that they blew? What would be the symptoms? Power loss? Overheating? I have a 94 and my car is not holding coolant, overheating and now parked. I don't really see too much evidence of leakage but did see a little. Hoping I just need a burp. I doubt they were ever changed and will be ordering them, thermostat, and anything else needed from the Wiz. Thanks in advance and forgive for the hijack.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rheeder218

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i was smelling burning coolant while driving. then i put the car on the hoist and let it sit over night and looked to see where the coolant was dripping/pouring from/

Lexciting

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hmmmmm Ok, I had smelled coolant from inside the cabin but didn't see any coolant on the ground. Actually all of the coolant just seemed to "disappeared" and my temp went all the way in the red and going before I pulled over and let it cool down and got it towed home.

OP
OP
R

Rheeder218

Viper Owner
Reaction score
fill it back up and place a white towel or paper or something under the car. It also could be coming from the thermostat housing.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lexciting,
Get under the car and look at the block where you might see what I saw several years ago: (picture)

428CoolantLeak05.jpg

This should answer your question.

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How did you know that they blew? What would be the symptoms? Power loss? Overheating? I have a 94 and my car is not holding coolant, overheating and now parked. I don't really see too much evidence of leakage but did see a little. Hoping I just need a burp. I doubt they were ever changed and will be ordering them, thermostat, and anything else needed from the Wiz. Thanks in advance and forgive for the hijack.

Sounds like the head gasket to me. Same symptom on my Civic and I replaced the head on it. But here is the real question... IS EVERYONE ON HERE A GREAT MECHANIC OR AM I JUST NOT MECHANICALLY INCLINED?

As I mentioned I did the head on my Civic and it was a major PITA! I totally messed up the timing and then nearly ruined a new $350 head (actually the valves), by starting it while the timing was off. Then, after I hired a mechanic to fix my screw ups I still wasn't sure it was fixed and ended up selling the car. This is not a trivial job IMHO, and before you attempt it please make sure you know what you are getting into. I would NOT do the head on my Viper. Just my $.02.

Lexciting

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ruckdr - Wow! I mean literally that is EXACTLY what I am seeing! Thanks for the visual. To me it looked like just a "little" bit of seepage same way that your picture shows and as stated I did smell coolant in the cabin.

Batboy - I definitely will have a viper tech do it (Waldolf Dodge, MD). Can only imagine the Viper Tax! :(

Next question... what are the ramifications of driving it while it was in the red/almost past the red for a couple of miles. The check engine light caught my attention driving home in Pentagon/Washington DC rush hour traffic so I couldn't pull over right away (no place to park and sit). Anyone in the DC area should know my pain about rush hour traffic and breaking down! I did turn on the heat and put it on full blast to get the temp back down until I could stop and sit. Could you imagine the news: Broken down Viper has caused a 10 mile backup at 5pm on a Friday in DC/VA!

BTW - This thread is great!

Last edited:

Rays94RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lex,
Let me know how everything goes at Waldorf Dodge. I have a 94 with original gaskets and live about 45 mins south of Waldorf. They very well may end up doing mine someday.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Be sure to call Chuck before you torque the head bolts back on. You need to follow the same bolt pattern sequence as the manual but in THREE stages. First, torque all head bolts to 60 ft/lbs, then go over them in the same sequence to 90 ft/lbs, and finally 120 ft/lbs. That right, 120 FT/LBS final torque! This is far different from the old final specs of 35ft/lbs in the manual.

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ruckdr - Wow! I mean literally that is EXACTLY what I am seeing! Thanks for the visual. To me it looked like just a "little" bit of seepage same way that your picture shows and as stated I did smell coolant in the cabin.

Batboy - I definitely will have a viper tech do it (Waldolf Dodge, MD). Can only imagine the Viper Tax! :(

Next question... what are the ramifications of driving it while it was in the red/almost past the red for a couple of miles. The check engine light caught my attention driving home in Pentagon/Washington DC rush hour traffic so I couldn't pull over right away (no place to park and sit). Anyone in the DC area should know my pain about rush hour traffic and breaking down! I did turn on the heat and put it on full blast to get the temp back down until I could stop and sit. Could you imagine the news: Broken down Viper has caused a 10 mile backup at 5pm on a Friday in DC/VA!

BTW - This thread is great!

Definitely feel your pain on the traffic there dude. That's why I never take my Viper to work. However, the before mentioned Civic was my daily driver. I had to fill it with coolant before I left the house and work. That didn't last long. As for damage I guess you could do a lot, but if it's running fine you're probably still okay. My first car I cracked the block from overheating and you knew it immediately. It lost more than half its horsepower (may have done more damage than a cracked block).

Rays94RT, where are you located? Charles county? You know a bunch of us get together every Saturday across the creek here in Fredericksburg. We have an open invitation to anyone wanting to join us. There's about 4 of us that meet regularly with another 4 or 5 that come by occasionally. If you or any others are in the neighborhood PM me any Saturday.

Upon second look I see your a little further east than I thought Rays94RT. But the invitation still stands.

OP
OP
R

Rheeder218

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well i ordered manuals off E bay and they havent arrvied yet and i want to get the car done this weekend. SO maybe its possible someone could fax me copies of the torques sequences and specs and maybe something else that maybe needed to do this.

Flea-bay have to love it

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cookviper