Were you into Mopars before Viper

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After speaking with many Viper owners over the last few years, I have come to notice that people came to own a Viper in basically two different ways:

- They were into 60`s and 70`s Mopar muscle cars and eventually evolved into a Viper too.

- They wanted a modern American sports car and fell in love with the Vipers, yet not really interested in other Mopar vehicles.

So my question is, how many of you were into Mopar before you got with Vipers......

Last edited:

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I have owned several muscle cars and still own a 68 Coronet RT and a 69 Superbee.

Bruce

BigJag

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper is the first Mopar product for me and I have bought a lot of cars over the years. Most of the vehicles from my past have been GM with the exception of a few British vehicles. No Fords and no Mopars.

John N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Came in through the classic Mopar muscle route, RoadRunner, GTX, Challenger and such. The last one to go was the '68 GTX convertible, but after buying the Viper I just never drove it.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was and am a muscle car fanatic specifically Ford & Shelby Cobra Jets and Super Cobra jets.I had never owned a Mopar product before the Viper.:usa::usa::usa:

Kmrumedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
70-74 Cudas were my favorite growing up. Ebodies still one of my all time favorite cars. Though truth be told....a black on black 68-69 Charger would be the ultimate for me.

Building a 73 Challenger now ( we've talked about it!! ha! ha!) Have every mopar magazine since the mid 80's.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my first car was a chevy, but as far back as i can remember, i have always liked the unusual cars - the cars nobody else had. so, i quickly sold the chevy and started going through the dusters, the roadrunners, and many chargers. my favorite car is an old hemi charger that i still have today. i am aquiring other brands of cars, but i have always liked the mopars. i still want to get a lime green superbird someday.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
70-74 Cudas were my favorite growing up. Ebodies still one of my all time favorite cars. Though truth be told....a black on black 68-69 Charger would be the ultimate for me.

Building a 73 Challenger now ( we've talked about it!! ha! ha!) Have every mopar magazine since the mid 80's.

do you have any pics of your challenger? would love to see it . . . . .

Dads Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
had a 70 challenger when I first joined the Army. other than the old classics, mopar had Zero cars that were worth looking at until the Viper.

alpha85

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Richard Petty's Charger did it for me. My first car was a 77 Charger. Then other makes, but my last four trucks were Dodges with a 09 on order. Plus a 05 Viper.

Slypopsracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Both option A & B. A sublime green 70 Challenger (A66)currently and have loved the Viper since it was introduced. When I was a kid the 70 AAR Cuda was my dream(never achieved). Owned others but come back to the Mopars.

mdurbahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i bought a 67 coronet r/t from a junkyard when i was 14, still got it. Started going to the nats that year.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like all brands of 60's-70's musclecars. Always liked the 'Cuda and Challengers from that era.

But, those old cars didn't sway me into buying a Viper. I bought the Viper because it is a Viper, always wanted one.

woosch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm...

My second car was a Dodge Shadow Turbo, since then I've owned a Jeep Grand Cherokee, a Dodge Dakota RT, 2 Durango's, a 1946 Dodge Coupe, still own a 42 Dodge 4 door sedan (black out), an SRT-8 SuberBee, and now the ACR...

Ya, I guess I like Mopars... hehehehe

JPL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
First car I bought was a 1971 Dodge Chrager SE in '85, (still have it).

dfg.jpg

fghdh.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I have owned several muscle cars and still own a 68 Coronet RT and a 69 Superbee.

Bruce

I wouldn't have known you were into them, HEMI killer:lmao:

Have every mopar magazine since the mid 80's.

Nice! I have all from 93 forward, random issues from prior.

do you have any pics of your challenger? would love to see it . . . . .

Yes folks, if you have pics of what started it all, please feel free....:2tu:

Does a 74 Plymouth Scamp 4 door with a 318 count as a 70's MOPAR muscle car? :D

Could it do a :burnout: ?:D

Robert

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My very first car was a '69 Charger. After that it was a '73 Challenger, '64 Dart, '70 Cuda and '71 Road Runner. Almost bought a Hemi Cuda in the '80s but the guy sold it from under me :mad:

When the Viper came out the only thought in my mind was "oh yes, that will be mine!"

Habu

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
I've owned many Mopar muscle cars in the past. Including a 1972Cuda, 1970 Challengers(hard tops and convertibles), 1969 Charger R/T's, and a Dart Sport. I sold them when I moved a few years ago and bought my 2001 Bumblebee ACR with the cash. I miss them, but no longer have time to keep them up. The Viper is turnkey performance that none of the others could match. Including my Cuda that ran mid 11's.:D

Habu

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All Ford baby! 69' Mach 1 was my first, then a series of 80s and 90s GTs and Saleens, and worked up to the Viper.

Bought it because I wanted a modern day Cobra brand new. The fact it was a "Dodge" was something I had to get over. It's the only Dodge product I will ever own. Unless some one wanst to sell their 71' Hemi Cuda Convertible on the way, way way down down low. :)

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was born and bred around Mopars. During the 60's 70's and 80's my dad worked in Chrysler Product Development, specificaly the trans lab. Back in the days before the proving grounds he would bring test cars home, pick me up and go out on a local rual two lane road and try to do anything he could to break the trans. I remember him rocking the car between forward and reverse with his foot buried in the throttle. He would take readings from a bunch of gauges mounted in the car and take notes. You couldn't see through the smoke and all you could smell was rubber.

In 1962 he got involved with the factory drag race programs and became an original member of the Plymouth Golden Commandos, they were Plymouth's version of the Dodge Ramchargers. For being from the same "stable" they were pretty feirce competitors. Here is a picture of my sister and I standing by the 1964 car in our driveway.

I don't think I ever had anything but a Mopar, my first car was a '64 Dart convertible, '73 New Yorker, Challenger convertable, Arrow, '73 Road Runner, K-car,Laser, Conquest, Mini van, Dakotas, Durangos, Cherokees, LHS, 300, Pacificas, Ram, '69 Road Runner and best of all a 2002 Viper!

Attachments

• commando misc.jpg
    commando misc.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 7

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had every Mopar Musclecar built between 66 and 81, then several Shebly Chargers and a few Daytonas to learn Forced Induction and fuel injection. Then a 92 Stealth TT and now 2 supercharged Vipers. Tried the rest and Ford was OK, just not very fast.

Ted

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My first car was a '72 'Cuda, and I still have it. Between my father, brother and I we've got:

2 Caravans
96 Viper
05 SRT-10 Ram
05 Hemi Quadcab
2000 Dakota
70 AAR Cuda
71 Cuda 340 convertible
72 Cuda 340
72 Challenger

My uncle is a Dodge dealer and I cannot think of a time in my life when there wasn't a Dodge product in the driveway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang