West Coast Viper PCM mod issues, anyone else?

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never been a fan of the fact that the pcm kicks up to 1500-1700 rpm on start up (dry starts), and I used it for a spirited drive up to 120 mph once and it “miss fired” on me. Then just taking a brisk take off around a turn it “miss fired” again (these feel like temporary hesitations/fuel cut outs), and then worse of all, I took it to VIR this weekend, and it wouldn’t allow me to go past 5000 rpm without a miss fire.

Thank god, because of the erratic performance on the street, I brought my original 2002 pcm for back up with me to VIR. Sure enough, changing to my 2002 fixed all the miss fires. But the 2002 isn’t as mod friendly as the earlier pcm’s that’s why I bought this westcoast pcm from someone, but right now, this pcm is all but useless.

Any ideas?

Anyone else had any issues with the West Coast programing ?

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to be careful, because most of the time, the reprogramming changes and is tailored to the customers requirements.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
True, but if you haven't already, you should check with the seller if there were any parameters they tweaked just a little more for the former owner. What worked for that car, if it worked at all, may not work on your car.

Bernard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure, but with the standard/similar bolt ons, they can't get too crazy different. No?
Give John Horton a call at 951-676-1204 (office). I think he would be upset to hear that a customer is not happy with his product.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just left them a message.

The challanging part, is that I am not the original owner, but I bought it, due to its modifications, which should have given me more power and less hassle, instead I'm getting the oposite.

Jon

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just left them a message.

The challanging part, is that I am not the original owner, but I bought it, due to its modifications, which should have given me more power and less hassle, instead I'm getting the oposite.

Jon
I am going through same situation, but my only issue is idle hang and I could use more power. PCM works fine other than that. John position is WCV PCM cannot be problem ever, period. Something else must be wrong. He might be right, I do not know. To go on from there, it is WCV's position that re-sale buyers do not get any free upgrades on the WCV PCM, so if you want anything done with code it will be $500. John will point out however, that a new PCM is $600+ so if you paid less than that you are ahead of the game as the WCV $500 price for re-programming does not include cost of PCM unit itself. I think John is a very nice, extremely knowledgable guy, but you soon see that perhaps $1k for a VECII is not such a bad deal.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sure, except the vec 1 cant remove your skip shift, your fan kick on and shut off temps, increase rpm cut off, remove missfire code possiblities, rear o2 cat issues (not sure, can it change your idel ?). Thats why I was really interested in getting the pcm.

Jon

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2002, even though I can't answer your specific questions, I had my PCM reprogrammed at WCV (when Jason worked there) and have never experienced any problems...in fact, my car runs better (a.k.a. faster, smoother, etc.) with no known or noticeable problems at all. You never mentioned what kind of Viper the PCM in question came from, just that it had similar mod's to yours. Unless the cars were identical years, with similar mods, my guess would be that's the problem. When mine was done, WCV was very particular about getting the info exactly for my car, including mods. As you mentioned, I had some non performance extras thrown in like shift light delete and downstream exhaust sensor delete, but other than that, the engine was just woken up for 93-94 octane fuel with timing and whatever else adjusted accordingly. Car runs quite noticeably faster...couldn't be more happy. I'm sure VECII and AEM products are also very good (and adjustable), but my mods are minimal by the forum standards and this juiced up PCM works very well. As for Horton's position of not warranting 2nd hand goods, that's fairly standard in most industries. Good luck, hope you get it straightened out....

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm just waiting for a product similar to LS-1 Edit. A credible source said it should be out by next year. Problem solved, I can't wait as I was used to this luxury with my old C-5.

CMilViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah....I had my PCM done back when Jason was there also.

I sent him my before dyno sheet with air/fuel ect. and my mod info.

It was a great horsepower/torque mod for me on the dyno...

My idle was a little high at first. I ended up sending it back to get the idle speed lowered a little, and the air/fuel a little more leaned out. I picked up a few more hp/tq the second time as well!

Everything has been great since....

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool, maybe thats the trick, gotta just get the dang thing matched perfectly to my car, and send it back a time or two.

This definetly wasnt a bash on West Coast Viper, just curious if others were having any issues with it.

Camfab,
Man that would be great for an Ls-1 edit program for the Viper, if thats the truth, damn, I could keep using my 02 pcm and just wait for this edit program to fix this 96 pcm I have.

Jon

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon, the guy who told me about this program is one of the top tuner/programmers in the country period. He deals with GM/Ford/Dodge products, he would not tell me who is developing the software, but said it was happening. His claim was next year. Finally someone realizes that the ultimate Hot Rod has viable/capable customers that would pay to get this software.
When I changed my gears, I was bummed that I had to use an external box to correct my speedo. I decided, after buying the product that I'm not cutting my wiring harness to put in a device that only corrects my speedo at the dash. The PCM is still receiving info that does not coincide with my odometer reading. I know I'm making a big deal about nothing to some of you, but I like to do mods in a stealth and clean fashion. No external boxes/cut harness.

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a side note I tried to switch out multiple PCM's while at the dyno and didn't get very accurate results. After the PCM's were switched I lost some HP and the car was running way too rich. I posted a short while ago about the PCM "Learning" and found that, in my case, the car did need to be driven in order for the PCM to "Learn" I took the car to the track to put some miles on the car and then went back to the dyno the following day. The A/F was right were my engine guy wanted it and the HP gains were right where John (West Coast Viper)said they would be with my mods. The problems you are experiencing might be sorted out once some miles are put on the car. Just a thought. Good luck :)

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a side note I tried to switch out multiple PCM's while at the dyno and didn't get very accurate results. After the PCM's were switched I lost some HP and the car was running way too rich. I posted a short while ago about the PCM "Learning" and found that, in my case, the car did need to be driven in order for the PCM to "Learn" I took the car to the track to put some miles on the car and then went back to the dyno the following day. The A/F was right were my engine guy wanted it and the HP gains were right where John (West Coast Viper)said they would be with my mods. The problems you are experiencing might be sorted out once some miles are put on the car. Just a thought. Good luck :)

Thx RedSled, and I did put the miles on the car. Only acted up ocassionally (although the higher start up rpm was constant anytime you started the car). But I did have the pcm in for at least a 1000 miles. It was fine, as long as you didnt do any "drag passes" on it. Meaning, you could lay into it in 1 and 2nd, or even 3rd by itself.. but you couldnt do 1st,2nd, and 3rd all to red line, or you would get a miss fire at the end of the 3rd gear pull. I guess these pcms are going to stay a black art for a while. The only way I could get "consistent" results from testing the pcms, was to check them all with NO TRIM values, which is what you get when you put them in clean, they have learned nothing yet. It was the only way I could safely compare pcm's on the same day, under the same conditions, I even allowed the motor to cool significantly between pulles so engine temper was identical (read: as close as possible) during each pull.

Oh well someone needs to get that Ls1 edit type program out in the market for us. Even a year sounds too long to wait !!

Jon

Reaction score
I have never been a fan of the fact that the pcm kicks up to 1500-1700 rpm on start up (dry starts), and I used it for a spirited drive up to 120 mph once and it “miss fired” on me. Then just taking a brisk take off around a turn it “miss fired” again (these feel like temporary hesitations/fuel cut outs), and then worse of all, I took it to VIR this weekend, and it wouldn’t allow me to go past 5000 rpm without a miss fire.

Thank god, because of the erratic performance on the street, I brought my original 2002 pcm for back up with me to VIR. Sure enough, changing to my 2002 fixed all the miss fires. But the 2002 isn’t as mod friendly as the earlier pcm’s that’s why I bought this westcoast pcm from someone, but right now, this pcm is all but useless.

Any ideas?

Anyone else had any issues with the West Coast programing ?

Where have I heard of this problem before. Remember some of you the old TSB 18-32-97? It delt with a drop in RPM as a result of a perseived misfire @ 5500 RPM. This sounds quit similar. Is it possible, a new design with a old problem recurring?

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]

Where have I heard of this problem before. Remember some of you the old TSB 18-32-97? It delt with a drop in RPM as a result of a perseived misfire @ 5500 RPM. This sounds quit similar. Is it possible, a new design with a old problem recurring?

[/QUOTE]

No kidding ? I have a 96 pcm, perhaps its acting flakey, a problem from the factory, not a west coast programming issue?

Or actually can someone verify that p04848837 is infact a 1996 pcm ?

BTW, is this what your talking about ?? Looks like it affected the 1996 pcms also: http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=240632&Forum=UBB14&Words=1996%20pcm&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=2500&Old=allposts&Main=240632&Search=true#Post240632

hmmm....

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi John, I am wondering if the PCM from a 96 would work properly on your 2002? The cam profile is totally different,among other things. When that PCM was in my 96 GTS the car ran perfectly, 0 idle hang, Which I have now with my new stock PCM, never skipped or misfired, went right to redline, etc., the only reason it was changed was when Chuck Tator put the Roe S/C on my car,the modded PCM was making it difficult to set up the blower, so he reccomended replacing it with a stock unit for a more more accurate tune. The car was like that when I bought it, and the dealer has since folded so I do not have any insight as to who programmed it...Hope this helps...AL... :confused:

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi John, I am wondering if the PCM from a 96 would work properly on your 2002? The cam profile is totally different,among other things. When that PCM was in my 96 GTS the car ran perfectly, 0 idle hang, Which I have now with my new stock PCM, never skipped or misfired, went right to redline, etc., the only reason it was changed was when Chuck Tator put the Roe S/C on my car,the modded PCM was making it difficult to set up the blower, so he reccomended replacing it with a stock unit for a more more accurate tune. The car was like that when I bought it, and the dealer has since folded so I do not have any insight as to who programmed it...Hope this helps...AL... :confused:

Thanks Al,

Yeah, I have the 96 goodies :) but we wont go into that. Just know my motor is for all intensive purposes is identical to the 96. so this PCM should work great. But no biggy, if the ls1 edit type software comes out, I can wipe this whole thing clean. Shoot at this point, I would be MORE then happy with a STOCK 96 computer. Matter of fact, it would be nice if someone could "borrow" my pcm and get that "TSB" done to it, which will effectively put the whole thing back to stock !!

Jon

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang