Whacked the chin spoiler.

ceieio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT COLOR="Blue">Well, I scraped the chin spoiler against the curb today. I suppose it can be fixed although I think I would rather have a new one. It is scraped pretty good and there is a 1/2 inch crack near the wheel opening. Any advice on repair vs. replace? How much is the front spoiler on a '96 GTS? Thanks for your opinions.</FONT c>

MtHam ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New car? Every owner has a story, it's part of the joy of ownership
yesnod.gif

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure you did not puncture the coolant overfill bottle located in front of the passenger-side wheel. For some reason, Dodge placed a bolt or something right underneath the bottle. Welcome to the world of extremely low cars.
smile.gif

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Craig,
Been there, done that...Get it repaired. Remember, the front end is longer and lower then most cars. Front facia scrapes, bumps and bruises are gonna happen. Not practical to throw down 10 Large everytime that happens. BTW,,,welcome to Viper Nation!
cool.gif

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heed Garolittle's advise and check your coolant bottle! The previous owner of my Viper whacked the fascia and I found the damaged coolant bottle by accident. When adding coolant to the bottle it will run out onto the floor dead center of the fascia.

I had to remove the fascia and get a new bottle from ViperGizzard (chuck)
laugh.gif
at Tator's Dodge.

nutsRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had the very same thing happen a couple of weeks ago. Took the car to local 5 star dealer. The body shop mgr quoted $1550 for new fron fascia and $525 to paint and install. He also said repairing the old one(bondo etc)would be prone to more cracking if I scraped it again, so I went with new..

He wasn't sure how long it would take to get the OEM part from DC. I called Jon B and he had one in stock for a few hundred $$ cheaper and could ship the next day. Should have the car back in a week. The part is for a 96-98 Viper and has the slots for fog lamp covers a feature I like and will install.

Total price to replace is around $2K.

OP
OP
C

ceieio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT COLOR="Black">Thanks to all who have replied. I will look at getting it fixed. Of course, to me I can see the damage from outside the garage with the door shut. The rainy weather is not that far away so I will likely wait until then to fix it. I may have to get touch-up paint to get me by until then as you can see where the paint was rubbed off. Thanks again for the welcoming words and the benefit of your experience.</FONT c>

patgilm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel your pain. I just got my 97 GTS and scrached front end already. It doesn't sound as bad as yours as mine is just a scrape, but its on top of the front lip so I notice it everytime I look at my car.

Pat
97GTS

OP
OP
C

ceieio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT COLOR="Black"> Reading the stories that you have all posted I realize I can learn from others mistakes. I thought I might as well post more about mine as a quid pro quo.

My damage was a "really good idea" that was poorly executed. Faced with two empty parking spaces dead ahead, I chose the one to the right.

Just a slight jog over.

Why? Well it was next to a curb and that meant one side of the car would be harder for some insensitive lout to door-bang.

Tuck up tight next to the curb to leave extra room on the left and things will be great. So jog to the right, turn into the left... and scrape the side of the spoiler against the side of the curb! It looks like I sanded it with 3/4 minus gravel sand paper. Back-up, realign and park it. Then overheat. Not the car, me!

The good news is that I didn't get door-banged... but then again who would park next to a car whose owner was clearly gone non-linear? It must have looked like "the voices" were talking to me.
smile.gif

I have to admit that I almost left the car in the garage that morning. I had little sleep and knew I was not on my game. Since one wrestles a Viper more than one drives it I tend to leave it garaged when I am in such a state. Not that day. The twisty two lane called and it was a killer morning. I should have taken the Yukon. That is the real lesson learned for me.

Worse yet, I had vented on my wife for getting a scratch in her new Montero a few years ago. The good news is she is a quick study and her Sequoia still looks show-room fresh. The bad news is she just looked at the Viper, turned her head to look at the old Montero, looked back at me and just smiled. She could have at least yelled, that wouldn't have been so bad.

This was my bonus reminder lesson; what goes-around, comes-around, and women know how to best deliver the message!</FONT c>

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't even try to get close to the curb in those situations.

Lesson I've learned. No matter how much room you leave on one side, there's going to be a **** that takes up the space and parks as close to you as possible.