What a difference!! The brake calipers from Tom rock!!

V10Nationals.com

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just want to drop a line and announce that I have joined the club of happy and very satisfied customers of Tom Hayden.*

This weekend I installed his brake upgrade and had a few hours of racing fun at Sebring with a whole bunch of friends!

The brakes worked very well and having confidence on your brakes make racing a lot more fun. Later, when I tried to brake in a new set of pads I could lock the wheels no matter how hard I tried!! Two thumbs up Tom!! THANK YOU!

*For those that might not know Tom is offering an inexpensive and very effective way to improve your brakes. You buy the upgraded rear calipers from Tom and you send them your old ones. Because of the rebuild calipers that he will send you with bigger pistons, your braking power will be distributed more evenly between your front and rear brakes resulting in a lot better braking.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Steve, do you know when the V-10 National's website will be updated to reflect the final points and winners were for the 2004 season? Who was the "King of the V-10 Nats?"

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

OP
OP
V

V10Nationals.com

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Steve, do you know when the V-10 National's website will be updated to reflect the final points and winners were for the 2004 season? Who was the "King of the V-10 Nats?"

Mr. King,

I'll have the site updated this week. Send me a good picture of yours and I'll posted on the first page.

Did you see who is the King of GEN 1's that finished in the top 10??

Now let's keep this post to the subject...Mr. King :headbang:

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mr. King,

I'll have the site updated this week. Send me a good picture of yours and I'll posted on the first page.

Did you see who is the King of GEN 1's that finished in the top 10??

Now let's keep this post to the subject...Mr. King :headbang:

I have a picture of Mike you can use.

;)

"The King"

Cudaman :usa:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, that's just wrong in sooooooooooooooooooooooo many ways
1882down.jpg
1882down.jpg
1882down.jpg
1882down.jpg
1882down.jpg
1882down.jpg
1882down.jpg

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, they do. This was one of the first things I did to my Viper last spring - and it's been the best modification, too.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What an interesting bunch of folks we are. I thought the brakes would sell to the stealthy racer boys that didn't want competitors to know (since there is no external or visual difference.) But I found more guys like AG98RT10 have bought them to dodge the deer, poor drivers, and those jumping curbs.

Now we have drag racer V10Nationals and frugal Chuck on board. Hmmm.... I should have done some consumer research to study this market opportunity, because I got the target audience all wrong. Anyway, thanks, Steve.

Shameless plug: I have them in stock, PM me and I'll send you more information. Thanks.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, Yes, they work GREAT!! I have them on my 94, WHAT a difference!! :2tu:
Thank You Tom! :cool:
I am now installing many of them!

"Hey Steve, is my steak ready yet?"

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom, I'm growing to like them more and more. Remember, I have Stoptech fronts and it's looking like tire choice is playing an important role with my setup. This past weekend I was stopping like a **** on Hoosier slicks.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, Wizard Chuck. A truly high compliment coming from you.

And thanks, Chuck #2. Also a high compliment. Are they **** good enough to open sales of 38mm calipers to others with StopTech front calipers? You're the grand Poo-Bah that decides...

FYI, the Wizard installed 40mm rear calipers and they balance braking well with the OEM size front calipers. Chuck 98 RT/10 has the StopTech front caliper system (which has smaller than OEM size pistons) and he's trying out 38mm rear calipers to further improve braking balance.

The 38mm calipers would be same price as the 40mm calipers, but I would need a little advance notice, since I automatically make up the 40mm size.

Irid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm about to throw SRT10 14" rotors on the front under stock GTS calipers and the rear 40MM upgrade - I'll let you know how it works out. I've experienced slight rear lockup from high speed while on hot, sticky tires with the 40's only, and doing the math puts upgrading the front to 14" as being ~ the same as having 39mm rear pistons with a stock front setup.

Yehaw. Tom's upgrade rocks!

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to go on record as saying a pre-ABS Gen II without Tom's 40mm calipers is just plain dangerous. Not sure why Dodge let them out of the facotry that way. And data point - they are working great with mixed compound tires.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I've said on other posts, I used Tom's calipers all last year at the track and they are a huge improvement over stock.

I also got some more HP from Greg Good over the winter and I now find I'm burning up the front brake pads.

I guess it's time to ditch the BM3's and try PF pads?

I got a set of carbotech pads from a friend. I'll try those after I go through the last set of BM's I've stockpiled.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Troy,
The calipers are $630 (includes shipping) plus your old ones as cores. I ship to you, you swap, only then send the old ones back.

I would estimate time to swap as 2.0 hours? It's no more involved than removing wheels, the two bolts that hold the caliper on, use the same the brake hose and brake pads, and detach and reattach the parking brake cable. Then bleeding when done. There is no special machine work or irreversible change - it looks completely stock (which isn't that great, I know.)

Anyone have a better estimate on shop time?

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had mine put on at Meineke, along with all new SS lines, slotted rotors, Brakeman 3 pads and the whole thing bled in under three hours...

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ditto all of that I have Tom's and swear by it ...for any one that is unsure come out to Lime Rock on the 21st and get a free demonstration :)

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone who has not installed Tom's rear brake calipers - well.... JUST DO IT!!
:2tu: :2tu:
I have been asked what they feel like, and I like to say that: the car does not now nose dive, but rather it just squats. :) :)
Later,

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am curious of those responding here as to who has their proportioning valve in or out? Comments?

I installed Tom's calipers late last fall, put the B3s on this past week end, and took the valve out today. A little rainy here so I haven't had a chance to give them much of a workout. What I have been able to do is very positive. There is definitely a world of difference between stock calipers with EBCs and Tom's set up.

I'll be on a track a week from Friday where I hope to realize the full benefit of this excellent addition.

Steve

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I removed the prop valve and still do not lock the rears.
Same here. I just took the rubber o-ring seal out to disable it. But when I did it I had the taller 19" rears and now I have mixed compounds in stock size.

Irid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prop valve in. Stock pads. RA1's. 99 ACR. Instructor-level driver. I get slight lockup on long threshold braking once the tires are up to temp - note that this is not under hot lap use (which would fry the stock pads) but during setup testing (was on track, but not setting the car up for that). YMMV.

OP
OP
V

V10Nationals.com

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Champ, the site is updated. I am still waiting for your picture :cool:

OP
OP
V

V10Nationals.com

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, Yes, they work GREAT!! I have them on my 94, WHAT a difference!! :2tu:
Thank You Tom! :cool:
I am now installing many of them!

"Hey Steve, is my steak ready yet?"

Chuck the steak is ALWAYS ready for you!! Just come down and I'll have it cooked to your liking!

Here is what it will look like:

You must be registered for see images

This picture is making ME hungry! :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine