What are stripes made of?

DIESELDOG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are the stripes on Vipers made of a vinyl stick on product or are they actually paint? As they would come from factory . Thank you for your input.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
on the gen3 and 4's they are painted on after that fact and leave an edge to the paint on the car. That is why it appears to be a sticker since the clear is not blended.

Bruce

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah but there was a year when they were NOT painted on from the factory, they were decals under clearcoat.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1996 RT/10's for that year only had vinyl stripes under clearcoat.
It was problematic and never done again.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know how it was problematic....I owned a 1996 RT that I drove daily for a number of years and never had any issues with the stripes..... a friend has it now and the stripes still look great......

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know how it was problematic....I owned a 1996 RT that I drove daily for a number of years and never had any issues with the stripes..... a friend has it now and the stripes still look great......

One issue wa fading of the decal under the clear, they changed color.
It would certainly be cheaper than painting, so the fact they discontinued it there after tells you what?

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It tells me nothing..... I never heard of anyone experiencing fading.... me thinks you are making this up... quote your information source....

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Same here. Had a white/blue RT-10. Yes, the stripes were vinyl then clear coated but never heard of or experienced any issues.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty sure it was a post by Jon B in which he described the reason Dodge stopped doing stripes that way, but really don't give a **** enough to research it.
One thing is for sure, they did it once and never again so it was a failed attempt at doing stripes on the cheap.
Or Dodge would have continued it.

That's obvious.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Pretty sure it was a post by Jon B in which he described the reason Dodge stopped doing stripes that way, but really don't give a **** enough to research it.
One thing is for sure, they did it once and never again so it was a failed attempt at doing stripes on the cheap.
Or Dodge would have continued it.

That's obvious.

True but whether or not is was cost effective to Dodge was not the question (which the folks at Prefix had confirmed). The question was whether or not they were reliable and coming from an owner of one, I never had any issues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang