What are the cleanest brake pads?

ELW98

Viper Owner
Reaction score
E-mail me if you want the Part# for Bendix brake pads. Fronts or Rears. Absolute dust FREE!!!!! and stops as good as factory! I have 2 RT/s that use them in the family and after hundreds of miles (trips)no visable dust. I worked with a engineer at Bendix to get the perfect combo. (dust/perf). Also quiet! 125.00 for both frt/rears.

Let me know

Ernie

You must be registered for see images

Ray R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't the Porterfield R4S supposed to be the hot ticket for reduced brake dust and squeel, while providing better stopping power over stock pads?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Porterfield R4S pad stops better than stock, but does produce about the same dust, maybe a bit less. I think they have less "binder" material that makes the dust less sticky.
On track events, R4S are very very dusty, and go way in one day or less. (Wheras Stock last a lot longer.)

R4S have NO squeek complaints!

Like Steve says, I too have tried cheap-O pads (ie $35/set!!)
that were scary-bad brakes! A $75K car should not scrimp on the brake recipe!

SNK BIT in WA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree 100% with John, I went through a set of R4S pads in one day on the track, and they were COMPLETLY gone. My wheels were black as night from the pads being worn off. Just ask Paul how much dust flew off when I hit the corners.....I am very happy with the R4 pad now. Just get a couple of coats of Zanio on your wheels and the brake dust washes right off.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have heard that the latest brakes from Great Brakes (Wing King's latest venture) are excellent. No dust and no squealing. Not one to take anybody's word on it, I just had them put on my car this morning at Woodhouse. Car will be here soon and I will let you know my thoughts!

Chris

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Another caution on using the Porterfield R4-S Pads on a track that requires heavy braking. On a track where stock pads lasted several days the R4-S pad material moved from its original location to the side of my car before the first day was over. But they were quiet on the street.

I also tried them on my 540i for street use and they squeal like a school bus after they warm up so it's back to stock or wait a month for EBC to release some for the E39. (I verified that they were not R4 pads)

Interested to hear how the EBC pads from Greatbrakes.com do. I called EBC directly and they said their "Green" formula just changed to add copper into it for more durability.

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Marv S on January 04, 2001 at 15:51</font>

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only pad I have used (beside my FEET) that seems to leave less dust was a brand called ECY, pronounced icy. But as Jon said, the reason the dust was minimal was because I could barely stop. The Flinstones were defiantly on to something!

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nadine is correct. Lucky her, to be LIVING in the homeland of EBC, and to have had them on her car for a long time. GreatBrakes.com has an order already placed for the higher temperature RED compound as soon as we can get them...... and the pure racing YELLOWS as well. EBC is a "big dog" for pads in the motorcycle world, and has a terrific reputation in Europe for their automobile products. In the U.S. they're still just getting started. I'm extremely proud to be associated with EBC right now and feel very confident about their future in this country. I'm pretty anal about my 97 GTS, and regardless of selling their product, you couldn't PAY me money to run anything else on my car right now. It will take a while to claim a significant share of the market already enjoyed by competitors on this side of the ocean....but I'll bet anyone a bottle of Z6 that it will happen!
You must be registered for see images