what are the most comfortable lowering options?

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
looking for options...but don't want to sacrifice ride quality too much...on a Gen 2.

Thanks!

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
low profile spring perch caps will lower her a bit and i dont think they affect the ride at all.

shorter springs like the popular eibachs will be a tad stiffer than stock.

I think the caps lower about .5-.75" and the springs lower about 1".
I suggest only doing one or the other.

What wheels do you have gotone?

1.8t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with these: http://www.snakeoylproducts.com/product.php?productid=17565&cat=339&page=1

These are the most cost affective option out there aside from Aldan coilovers which are beyond crap. My Gen II has them on it right now and they are absolutely horrible. I suppose I could look into Eibachs/stock shock combo, but I figure if I have to buy stock shocks + Eibachs I might as well go on and get a matched spring/shock combo that will control the car optimally in it's lowered position.

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with these: http://www.snakeoylproducts.com/product.php?productid=17565&cat=339&page=1

These are the most cost affective option out there aside from Aldan coilovers which are beyond crap. My Gen II has them on it right now and they are absolutely horrible. I suppose I could look into Eibachs/stock shock combo, but I figure if I have to buy stock shocks + Eibachs I might as well go on and get a matched spring/shock combo that will control the car optimally in it's lowered position.

What do you find horrible about the aldans over say eibachs or other companies?

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Eibachs on my 99. The ride is noticeably bouncier, but not horrible. The Motons are on my 09 and they are very nice, but expensive. I'm doing caps on my 01 right now but they wouldn't affect ride quality at all. They are the biggest bang for the buck but only about 1/2 inch lower. As someone else asked, what size are your wheels?

I noticed from all the Gen II's I've owned that some ride higher than others. For example, my 99 had huge fender/tire gaps in the back. I could nearly fit my fist in there whereas my 01 was about 1/2 lower stock. That's why I did the Eibachs on the 99 and just caps on my 01.

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what if i dont care about ride quality, what's the most inexpensie route on dropping the car a hair. I also dont care if it does or doesnt improve handling.

killerviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thinking bout the same thing Jeffsss is thinking. I really hate some of the roads here in my city, specially the speed bumps so I don't want to lower more than 0.75" max. Caps might be the way I go. A 3/4" lower ride would be nicer cause the wheel gap is intense in stock form

P.S. what caps do you guys recommend?

1.8t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you find horrible about the aldans over say eibachs or other companies?

The car rides like a boat, not a sports car. My front right shock is blown an leaking fluid down the housing. I am sure the others are in some state of leaking as well. These shocks need far stiffer spring rates and much more aggressive dampening IMO. The Viper is a sports car, not a cadillac. My gen IV rode how I expect a sports car to ride.

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
definitely not eibach springs & caps. . . .trust me i know

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I Have the Aldan American all Alluminum Double Adjustment rebound and compression 754 's on my car and have a 19/20 set up and the front fascia is 3.25 inches off the ground and I never scraped one bit or bounced around at all. I have ridden in an Eibach lowered car with 4 inch clearance and was told that it scrapes and rides like a boat as well. Saw the scrapes as well under the nose. Have not leaked in 10 years and do have a lifetime warranty to the original owner if they do along with the rest of the shock. I gues it is a hit and miss. For the bang for your buck issue it is a gerat lowering shock/sping set up. For 500 a pair it is well worth the cost.