What Battery for a 2000 GTS?

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since my battery is going on 5 years old, I figure I should get a new one before I have problems.

My local auto parts shop sells Interstate and tell me a MT78 is the right one.

I'd love to go to an Optima, but it doesn't seem that they make a side terminal only battery.

Ideas or thoughts?

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy the Optima Red Top, they make one with higher amps than another with the same size so make sure you pay the extra $10 to get the right one. Take it home, see if it fits, take a bottle jack and two pieces of wood and extend your tray an inch or so if needed, battery will slide right in. Mine went in without any modifications.

Mazman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Stick to what Dodge recommends - check with your local dealership for the correct replacement.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mazman, We're talking a battery here, not transmission fluid or something. Why the heck even consider contacting the dealer and paying a rediculous price for a battery? It's just a battery. Get the correct amps and you're good. Buy the best technology.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dealer price around here was something like $60 for the battery (VCA discount), and you knew you wouldn't have any problems with it fitting, or with the terminal touching the frame. IMHO, going with the dealer battery may be the way to go.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Optima Red top fit right in my tray with no mods.

I did this after having the stock Mopar POS battery leak acid all over my bumper not once, but twice in two years.

Put in the Optima.

OP
OP
M

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I have to measure my car and see if an Optima will fit. Last time I checked, DC does not sell a side terminal only battery..and they recommend cutting off the top posts. (Which voids the warranty.)

If it were going in my restored Plymouth, an exact repro would be needed..but you'll never see it in a Viper.

My dealer has both the Interstate and Optima in stock..so I can probably even borrow them ans see what's waht. Thanks guys!

Reaction score
The Optima will fit some cars and not others. The battery tray location(frame to tray) varies from car to car. The standard(OEM or equi.) battery side terminal only, I think it is a group 78 is good replacement. COSTCO, your local parts store or VCA friendly dealer. IMHO it is a total waste of time to remove the old battery pick up an OPTIMA and find it will not fit then have to return it. The stock battery worked for Five Years, sounds pretty good for an OEM product.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
When the red top didn't fit into my car I went with the DieHard gold. So far I've no complaints. Stay away from the OEM crap - it leaked so bad it eventually pooled before I noticed it.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Optima red top.A little stretching needed in my case.Does not puke acid onto your car.If the stretch didn't work the next step was a cut and reweld of the box.After less than 1 year the box needed to be cleaned up and repainted.I donated the oem battery to my local viper tech. GTS Bruce

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
went to sears and got a die hard gold battery. fit perfect just like the stock one. only thing that sucked was lifting the car, taking the tire off, taking part of the wheel well off and part of the rear bumper off. took almost a lil over an hour just to change the battery.

Hot Rod

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just had an Interstate installed yesterday. Fortunately, it went dead while the car was in my garage. I only got two years out of the stock Mopar. I don't use a battery tender over winter so I guess I can't complain. Mopar was $160 installed, Interstate was $150 and is probably a better battery for the money.

OP
OP
M

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. My local store had both Optimas and Interstates in stock. After measuring, it seemed that the Optima "should" fit. I took it home to try (they trust me) without paying, and it was too tall with the top terminals on. Two guys at the store suggested cutting the terminals off. Bad idea. As some of you know, these batteries work under a slight pressure. As I sawed off the first post (with my common sense screaming NO! in the background) I heard the battery hiss slightly. It turns out that the terminal was not a solid piece and now there is a hole into the battery's case.

I took it back to the store and brough home an Interstate which went in with no trouble.

I have to go back on Monday to work out the finances with the guys at the store. Obviously, they can't send back a battery for credit when the post has been cut off. I need to remember to listen to that voice in my head.

Reaction score
Sorry the Optima! I tried one Optima and it did not fit my 96RT. What a pain! That is why the side post group 78 is the best way to go and the most cost effective.

For others considering a battery Costco has them (Group 78, 660-CCA) for $43.00 with a 36 mo replacement warranty.

Track cars may benefit form the Optima's sealed structure in which case droping the battery tray is a minor change.

andrew8896

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The smaller Optima redtop fits in fine (which has same CA & CCA as the stock battery), the larger one requires the tray to be dropped.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960