What class would you say the Viper is in?

ohno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was hanging out with some buddies and eventually a debate developed over my car as to what it's classified as. I said it would be considered a sports car like the vette, one friend claims it to be american muscle, and the other claims it to be a supercar. That being said, I'm curious as to what the vca thinks.

wes

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Honestly to me it has bits of all those...I guess a modern day American muscle supercar

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's all of those imo, At least in part but its not a supercar solely like some what to think.

DaDood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen 1-3: High Performance Sports Car
Gen 4 & ACR: Supercar

Anything that can hold the best time for the Nurburgring for production sports cars when being compared to a Pagani Zonda, Maserati MC12, Enzo Ferrari, Koenigsegg CCX/R, or a Lamborghini Murcielago LP640 is a supercar. The fact that it is made in America doesn't matter. Besides, even though the Porsche beat the ACR, I'd like to see something other than the "Manufacturer's claim". All other cars that beat the ACR are ridiculous and I don't even know if you could call them simply "cars" (race cars more like it).

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd say Gen 1 and 2 were supercar (at least in performance) in their day. In 1994, what other cars on the road offered 400hp/450 lb ft stock? Not anything in America. The Gen 1 was one of the fastest production cars you could buy, at any price.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Muscle Cars have back seats. It is not a muscle car.

Sports cars have 2 seats or less. It does fall into this catergory.

Supercars are those that perform above the rest. Every single Viper falls into this catergory. See following.

Sports cars
S2000
350z
Miata

You get the point. These vehicles are classified as sports cars. The Viper, Corvette, GTR and others by far outperform the traditional sports car bringing them to the level of supercar. Even Gen 1 and 2 Vipers stock still outperform plenty of exotic cars which sell for 3 and 4 times more.

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The "Supercar" moniker to me is as much about price as it is performance... cars that are out of the reach of regular guys like Viper owners (no slight to the assembled here). Vipers are expensive, but still attainable. It seems more to me like a high-end sports car.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It has the heritage of a muscle car from the Cobra and Daytona Coupes mixed with the modern styling of a Sports Car and I would think it would most certainly be considered an Exotic. It was considered a Super Car back when it first hit the streets, but it is in no way a super car now, at least not the earlier model Vipers if you kept them stock. The newer Vipers I would consider performance wise Super Car status, but then again any Viper could be considered a Super Car performance wise if you stick a Turbo or Super Charger in it. I have a 96 GTS and wouldn't consider that a Super Car, even though it was back when it came out, but I would consider a new GENIV Super Car status, especially the ACRs.

A Super Car generally has a top speed over 200mph. Now a days it seems it would be slightly more than 200mph, like at least 210mph+ and amazingly fast acceleration. For example 0-60mph times in the lower 3sec to 2sec range and quarter mile times under 11seconds. At least, this is from all the reading I've done and from what I've watched on TV when identifying today's Super Cars. They normally have at least 600bhp too.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always looked at it as a blue-collar supercar. It's got the exclusivity, looks, and performance of a supercar without the $200k+ price usually associated with them.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The "Supercar" moniker to me is as much about price as it is performance... cars that are out of the reach of regular guys like Viper owners (no slight to the assembled here). Vipers are expensive, but still attainable. It seems more to me like a high-end sports car.

I would agree with this. In no way in my lifetime would I EVER be able to afford most Ferraris, for instance, for both initial cost and/or cost-of-ownership reasons. Even though I had to REALLY stretch to get into my Gen 3, it is still do-able for a regular schmoe like me!:2tu:

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would agree with this. In no way in my lifetime would I EVER be able to afford most Ferraris, for instance, for both initial cost and/or cost-of-ownership reasons. Even though I had to REALLY stretch to get into my Gen 3, it is still do-able for a regular schmoe like me!:2tu:

I'm sure a lot of people could agree with this statement, but I dunno, I somewhat disagree. Pretty much any Bentley or Rolls Royce will cost you well above 200k and they are definitely not Super Cars. Just like most Aston Martin's will run you in the 200k+ range, but performance wise I wouldn't label them equivalent to a Ferrari Enzo or Bugatti Veyron which are Super Cars. The new Aston Martin DBS is about $270,000 with a V12 and is not faster than new Vipers. Typically Super Cars do cost a lot, but I wouldn't label cost as determining a Super Car over the actual performance of the car.

Last edited:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Musclecar - CHECK

Sportscar - CHECK

Supercar - Well 1/2 of supercar is based on Price. The other 1/2 performance. So depending on how you value money it could go either way. I could see a millionar saying NO, but to pretty much anyone in the Lower to Middle Class would say YES that its out of reach 100K price an superior performance classify it as a Supercar.

Exotic - CHECK ---> http://forums.viperclub.org/2968497-post27.html <---

Is there Any other vehicle that can hold as many titles as the VIPER???

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've thought about this a lot too, I was watching topgear (an old episode) and I think I heard Clarkson referred to the viper as an American Supercar, which I still think is a good classification, but I do see the price points you guys are making. It is too rare to be just called a sports car, hell a miata is considered that. As rare as it is I would go as far to call it "exotic" I mean weren't the only like 5000 gen 1's total? Anyway I like American Muscle Super Exotic, at least that is what it is too me, lol. And honestly, I lllllooooooovvvvvvvveeeeeeee Ferraris and Lambo's, but 7-10k for a service, no F'in way :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

ohno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Now that I think about it. The viper (any gen) might be obtainable to us NA folks as far as price goes, but over in places such as Australia or Germany; they may not be so obtainable.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I think the definitive answer may be in how FIAT views the car. As we all know it may have made it to the shelf or been sold off , but when Sergio Marchione saw the clip of the ACR Nurburgring run, it was said to seal the deal, as he was astounded that this relatively , reasonably priced American machine was the fastest production Supercar to scream around that track. Not long after he made sure everyone knew the Viper was there to stay, and was an integral part of what Dodge and Chrysler Corp. were all about -- passion.

Hard not to call it an American Supercar, but I think we all know that every term seems to properly envelope how we think of the car, and no one is wrong, because the passion for this vehicle is hard to encapsulate in just one word - and it is so much more to so many of us. With the advent of traction control, stability management, the idea of the last " Musclecar," is even an easy argument to win. I think the public may have actually addressed this in a unique way, since I was able to see firsthand the largest number of collectors purchasing 2010s than I have ever seen with any other Viper over the past 12 years. Many had never owned a Viper before and the term last of the American Musclecars was the most common verbal opinion discussed. In Europe it is considered a true Supercar, and since the price of admission over there is on par with what we equate as Supercar pricing here in the States, the question there also does seem moot.

The balance of this entire discussion, is that we are all likely quite correct, and that ,in part, is what makes this such and incredible automobile. The new Viper will still distinguish itself , but an era is likely to have passed. Over the past 8-9 months we have all seen a slight advance in pricing upwards ( even the Banks have increased values they will book a car for ) , and that seems to portend that many, other than current owners, see this as a legendary auto that should be acquired?

An American Muscle Sports Supercar...........as so many others have said, it seems to be all those things and more.:2tu:

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's all of those imo, At least in part but its not a supercar solely like some what to think.

On the various sites I've visited the word Dodge & Supercar have Never been mentioned together. Actually about a month ago I was at a bike-motorcycle show & I had parked right next to a vette (only 2 cars on that side of *******) later on after many people comin up & looking & making comments 95% for the viper, the vette guy leaned over to his buddy & said yea, but when he wakes up in the morning it will STILL BE A DODGE! I didn't say anything cause he didn't know I owned it anyway. His buddy just said yea too but I think it was pretty obivious he knew his buddy was embarrased.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The first superbike was the Honda 750 CB in 1968. First supercar was the second gen 80's Lambo Countach. New cars and bikes do circle around those now,and the new supercars have to do 0-60 in 3 sec or less , according to some.:eater: .The Viper is a sports car, albeit an exotic for an american model.Just my worthless opinion:D

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess to me as far as American supercar goes it's the ford gt. I'm definitely no car guy just like nice cars of any make or model. I don't know anything about the gt but it's priced like a european supercar & I guess it has the look. When I was on the vette forum awhile back it seems like theres alot of guys that have vettes & vipers, but not alot of vipers & fords or vettes & fords. Is ford considered the 3rd wheel here or what. JMO!

Photog1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Muscle Cars have back seats. It is not a muscle car.

Sports cars have 2 seats or less. It does fall into this catergory.

Supercars are those that perform above the rest. Every single Viper falls into this catergory. See following.

Sports cars
S2000
350z
Miata

You get the point. These vehicles are classified as sports cars. The Viper, Corvette, GTR and others by far outperform the traditional sports car bringing them to the level of supercar. Even Gen 1 and 2 Vipers stock still outperform plenty of exotic cars which sell for 3 and 4 times more.

Well said!!:2tu: I totally agree!!:2tu::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa:

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper is considered the first American Exotic. Muscle cars are larger and higher and most do have back seats. The AMX is a muscle car with two seats but some might say it was a Pony Car or Sports Car. Pony Cars include the Mustang and the cars that copied it like the Camaro, Firebird, Cuda, Challenger etc...

The price of a new Viper and it's general lack of practicality combined with world class performance, low hand built production numbers, unique and beautiful styling and the largest engine with an unusual 10 cylinder configuration make it undeniably an Exotic.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two thoughts: (Yes, I have more than 1 thought in my head! :D)

1 - Street legal track car.
2 - The term Supercar has two meanings: One of the current day, and one of the day of past.

In the 1960's, many of the muscle cars were actually referred to as Supercars. Think 426 Superbird, 440-6 M code 69.5 A-12 cars, Daytona, Hemi Cuda's, WO23, RO29, etc. These cars were referred to as Supercars in their day compared to the muscles cars (340, 383, 440-4 bbl powered cars).

Sometime during the 80s, Supercar and Exotic somehow got smeared together a bit and used interchangeably in North America. I would not really call the Viper an exotic, but I would call it a Supercar.

According to Wikipedia, the definitions are as follows:

Supercar is a term used most often to describe an expensive high end car. It has been defined specifically as "a very expensive, fast or powerful car".[1] Stated in more general terms: "it must be very fast, with sporting handling to match," "it should be sleek and eye-catching" and its price should be "one in a rarefied atmosphere of its own".[2]

However, the proper application of the term is subjective and disputed, especially among enthusiasts. So-called vehicles are typically out of the ordinary and are marketed by automakers to be perceived by the public as unusual. The supercar can take many forms including limited production specials from an "elite" automaker, standard looking cars made by mainstream companies that hide massive power and performance, as well as models that appeal to "******** enthusiasts" from "manufacturers on the fringe of the car industry."[3]

Exotic definition according to dictionary.com:

1 - of foreign origin or character; not native; introduced from abroad, but not fully naturalized or acclimatized
2 - strikingly unusual or strange in effect or appearance
3 - of a uniquely new or experimental nature

Exotic tends to refer to something fragile, uber expensive, and something you never use as it is too unreplaceable. The Viper does not fit that image at all. These cars are built to drive, have durability, to track, to show, to drive daily if one so chooses. Viper is not an exotic.

I say proudly American Supercar.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi