What color is primer?

viperct2001

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 2001 red RT/10. Noticed a small black mark in front of the front tire. I used some GS27 scratch remover on it and some it came off to reveal the red pain. Woohoo! (yes, I know GS27 is pretty abrasive, but the Zaino was too gentle, I tried)

GS27 pic:
You must be registered for see images

But I can't get the rest of the black off. I think it's the primer. It feels slightly depressed to the touch (just like me with this scratch :( )

I'm amazed the GS27 was at least able to remove some of the black. It was on there pretty good. Not sure how it got there. I think a Chevy truck pulled into a parking space too close and his tire caught the edge of the front wheelwell. My guess is he left some black rubber on the car which I was able to remove.

i noticed him pull in from a distance and thought we was pretty close, but didn't hear him hit the car. Must have been an every so slight touch. Maybe I'll post a photo...

It's only about 0.5" long and .25" wide located right on the edge of the wheel-well. Do they have to repaint the whole wheel-well for this? Any idea how much to fix?

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think the panels are old school gray. Not sure about the facia. I would think gray or yellow.

9579viper_paint_shop_7-med.jpg

9579viper_paint_shop_6-med.jpg

If there is rubber on the paint you may want to try some paint prep like prep-sol and see if you can soften it without abrasives.

OP
OP
V

viperct2001

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks carguy07.

It feels slighly gouged, so maybe he went through the primer to the body itself. What color is the body of the wheel well? Is it black? If so, maybe he removed paint + primer.

I'd just hate to start rubbing really hard and then remove paint + clear coat in the surrounding area when it's not going to remove it.

p.s. Does AutoZone carry prep-sol?

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just repainted facia/rear bumper/side sills/etc on my 2001 yellow GTS. Under the clear/paint I found black primer used...so my fear is that your scratch is through the clear/basecoat to the primer...if Red is prepped the same as a Yellow car.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine