What do you pay for an oil change?

Scott J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The feedback on previous threads has been that most people pay from $55.00 + filter to $100.00 for an oil change if they take the car somewhere. There is an equal number of us that change our own oil. It costs $41.00 for 10 qts. of Synthetic Mobil 1 and a Filter when I buy at Costco [Wholesale Outlet]. With the low-profile ramps I purchased, the oil change takes 20 minutes and I've saved enough to put gas in the beast for a while.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I buy my own mobil 1 oil and filter and bring it to an instant oil change place. I will usually get better service there because the people there get excited about the car and all they do is just take the drain plug out and oil filter off my 1998 gts which is real simple and they wipe down my frame with care...and whalla, i'm done! It cost me $55.00 for my oil and filter and an extra $13.00 for the service and maybe a few questions from the excited tech guys. I wouldn't take my Viper to the dealer for an oil change! That to me is like going to the emergency room to have a band aid put on! it's an over kill and a waste of time!

just my thoughts.

VIPORXXX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For you guy who bring your viper to those quick oil change places
I have a question....any problem getting the viper on their lifts??? My buddy has a repair shop and its a pain getting my Viper to clear. Let me know.

thanks,
Fast Eddie BTW_ $170 is a rip-off!!!!!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VIPORXXX:
For you guy who bring your viper to those quick oil change places
I have a question....any problem getting the viper on their lifts??? My buddy has a repair shop and its a pain getting my Viper to clear. Let me know.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most of the "quick lube" places I have seen don't even use a lift. You simply drive over a "pit" (opening over a basement) and they do it from there. There are usually small rails next to the pit, but they are usually 3" or less. They are just designed to keep stuff from rolling into the pit (filters, etc.) At the Valvoline place I use, they have me drive in and out - they never touch the car other than the filter, drain plug, and filler cap. I do the hood for them as well.

If it has to go on a lift, it would only be at a Dodge dealer (or Viper tuner). I wouldn't trust some of these other folks trying to get it to clear the lift forks.

Chris

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$ 39.73. 9 qts from SAM'S club and a $ 4.99 filter. Change it myself. The first oil change the dealer did for $ 100. It was their last one.

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just had my done this morning at mobil quicklube place... drive over the pit type.... no lifts...

$79 including tax.....

while I was paying the bill they gave me a punch card.... after 10 oil changes, the 11th is free..... I'm thinking.... only $800 in oil changes!....

Brooks

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by FikseGTS on 09-08-2001 at 10:55 AM</font>

bad viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Used to pay about $65 for my GTS with 10 qt capacity
at Grease Monkey. Just paid $165 for 10 Qts oil change of Mobil 1 0-40w at the Porsche Dealer for my 2001 TT!! Only place you can find this weight is Porsche or Mercedes dealers no Mobil one dealers.

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$68 at my local Oil Express. No lift, no one touches anything on the car except the filter, drain plug, filler cap, and dip stick. I always get a chance to go under the car and take a look around. The car always generates a lot of excitement and everyone treats the car and myself with a lot of respect.

motomike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I worked a deal and get free oil changes at the Dodge dealer where I bought the car although occasionally I change the oil and filter myself.

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do it myself, buy Mobil 1 at Wal Mart for $15 for four quarts then $10 for K & N filter. Total usually runs me around $45.
I change all my own vehicles oil, I started doing this about 3 years ago, I simply found it more convenient, let alone cheaper.

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 94 RT 10:
Hey ACELER8:

You better get 6 more quarts in there!
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

9 quarts fills mine to the full hash on the dipstick. I only showed four quarts as an example of what I pay for four quarts at Wal-Mart. I usually buy 2 one gallon jugs at $15 a pop and then one single quart.

Yeh, I guess that would not be good if I was only using 4 quarts in it!!!

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BamBam

yep.... exactly.... HP and torque numbers are right on also.... my car put down 453 rwhp and 501 rwtq....

I've been thinking about removing the cats..... although, my car is running so good, I'm almost afraid to mess with it...

get some good traction and you'll be in the mid 11's for sure...

Brooks

http://viper.dragtimes.com