What do you think on where we placed at Le Mans?

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Audi have invested and changed the old original pit village in Le mans, it now resembles a load of corporate type silver steel boxes and many of us fans do not like it. One of the best things about going to Le mans was to wonder around the small lanes in the village, relating to the buildings you see in the film 'Le mans' the village had character, sadly that's all gone now :(
As for TV coverage, its mostly focused on LMP1. The TV companies never seem to show all the other podium places for each group.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Fatboy,

You hit on one of the items that has really puzzled me about coverage of LeMans over the past years, as well as ALMS here in the States. With coverage dominated by the P1 classes, when the masses are truly interested in actual vehicles they can drive. One does not need to be a motorhead to see attracting new viewers or fans needs to see a focus on what automotive enthusiasts can easily relate too. Sadly , they need to take a look at Nascar, with their recent change to cars that look like what we all drive on a daily basis. LeMans coverage needs to hit all avenues, but focus on the machines that actually prowl and slither the World's highways sure would elicit a stronger response as you noted -- and common sense it would help the neophyte to endurance racing have some realistic frame of reference. Appreciate your comments from Jolly Ole England!!!

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The Viper coverage during Sebring was really impressive I thought, but then again is was more or less their first race back, so I can understand the hype. Even more so because it was a race in the States with a "home" brand. They also had the car cams on the Viper for Sebring, looks like Vette was the only one showing anything for GT in Le Mans. I figured they'd make a bigger deal of Viper coming back to Le Mans, but I guess not. Even Ferrari and Aston got snubbed it seemed. I hope it's just a Le Mans thing and not ALMS in general. That'll kill my enthusiasm for actually watching any of the races on TV if they keep ignoring the fun "street" cars.

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree on watchability: I'd like to see the prototypes ditched, or at least reduced to one class, and have the domestic series (United SportsCar) feature the GT cars.

Perhaps GT-pro and GT-am, with a spec P-car class. So much more fun to see recognizable cars, even if they are whacked-out versions.

If I wanted to watch outrageous race cars I'd watch F1. Which, of course, many people do...

Rich

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very disappointed. I would rather see good pace than finish in the back of the pack to every other manufacturer. Just my 2c.

I agree. What is the point of being in a race that the sanctioning organizations rules don't allow you to competitive in, much less have even a remote chance to win? It doesnt just seem like a waste of money but also a huge hit to your brand. Id much prefer SRT not to race in the 24 Hours of Le Mans than to repeatedly lose like this every year due to the stupid rules. I really hope FIA gets its act together in regards the big displacement cars.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand SRT is under tremendous pressure to perform at LeMans, but with some inexperienced LeMans rookie drivers, a hurried first year development of a brand new car, a new pit crew, and significant air intake restrictions requiring 4,000 RPM shifts (you try to compete at an open track event with shifting at 4,000 RPM) I believe this resulted in more of a shake down event for the new car and new team.

With the Viper's previous ********** at LeMans with their previous French Oreca team it was impossible politically for this new car to be allowed to come out of the gate and do it all again. Believe the fix was in to allow Viper to enter, but never be allowed to dominate as before.

SRT is to be applauded. The cars ran reliably, the braking and handling was competitive, the drivers did very well, but with the stuffed up engine, performing far below even a stock street VIper, the writing was on the wall.

I saw Vipers gaining under braking, hustling through the corners, and generally being fast and well mannered, but on the straight aways they suffered terribly. This in again, not due to SRT, but the restrictions placed upon them by the organizing parties.

Next year with some more driver experience, another year of development for improved aero, updated tires, and perhaps with a little more air available to the engine, it could be a different story.

Don't loose the faith guys, It's hard to swim with lead weights tied around your ankles, but swim they did...

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not loosing faith, love seeing cars of different classes all out on track. As a Spectator it makes racing exciting to watch as cars are always overtaking each other (unlike F1). Seeing a LMP1 go flying past a GT car is really exciting :)

I do get the LMP1 cars but I would like to see cup presentations and interviews with the drivers of the other classes. TV coverage of F1 will include interviews with drivers before and after the race, then talking with team bosses etc, etc .....

I would like to see the gloves come off from all manufacturers, remember the group C cars? Brilliant. :headbang:

Seeing Vipers restricted, Not really happy about that, but great to see them back out on track in Europe.

You must be registered for see images attach

Note: yet another Audi corporate silver box in the background :rolleyes:

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bet the guys at SRT and Riley are disappointed. Concerning SRT inexperience, that is a poor excuse bcz everyone knows it was Riley running the effort, not SRT. That is why Riley was contracted...to win. There is no inexperience there at Riley and plenty of rookie drivers have been on winning teams. Concerning BMW, they know what it takes to win, and they won't enter the frey until the rules are changed...Unfortunately, Ferrari and Porsche prefer the smaller displacement motors and they have the greatest influence (and fan base). I'm sure SRT knows that with the V10 design (heavier duty rolling chassis etc) it can never win. The old 'tortuise v. hare' strategy doesn't work there anymore...the 'hares' have it....the Pcars and Fcars can run at sprint speed all day without breaking. You have to match the pace like Aston did, and keep it on the track. Riley was quoted as saying the Viper's tc wasn't up to par. That would have been exposed in the conditions. There is hope for next year if that is the issue, but what is needed is an honest assessment based upon the data. Experience alone won't win this race. Again, just my 2c.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper and Corvette were not behind because of inexperienced drivers; it was power restriction.

I agree with the comments above: if there is not a realistic chance of winning, then save the zillions of $$$ for the program and avoid embarassment of the brand. Stock, the Viper and ZRI would easily lap the Ferrari 458, Aston Martin and P cars (not La Ferrari or Berlinetta or a McLaren or Pagini, etc.). To humiliate the proud and powerful American cars to give the Euros unreasonable bragging rights (and increased sales) makes no sense to the American companies from racing, marketing or sales standpoints. The cars need to race closer to stock power (or more) to encourage the manufacterers to build stout and fleet street cars.

Also agree on the P1, LP1, LP2--great and impressive technology, but who cares? I personally have never seen or been passed by an Audi which looks like the P1 car! Until the R8 (a dumbed-down, Germanized Gallardo), the best Audi had was its RS Sedans--which look nothing like the P1 cars.

Very sad to see this happen at LeMans. The ACO rules should encourage development of awesome street cars--not discourage it.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What would be interesting is to see how a 100% stock "off the showroom floor" Viper TA would due in this Le Mans race against the GTS-R and the rest of the series field? Sure it would be up on power, but down on aero and braking capacity, etc. What better way to gain real racing fans, manufacturer exposure and bring the racing back down to the people than with actual cars that are available on the street. If the Viper is going to be handicaped by air restrictors, this and that, then offer the alternative of bringing a showroom fresh model to the race. It was practically designed for that purpose anyway. I am sure SRT, Corvette and a few others would jump at the opportunity. To put the millions of dollars into the effort only to be hancuffed, slapped around and belittled for 24 hrs makes zero sense. The rules if they need to have them, need to be even across the board, not penalized based upon some europeon standard. Want it to be even and fair, dyno test each car motor and build restrictors off of that model not because of actual CID. Only the French would come up with a way to outlaw and penalize someone with a big one!

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly:2tu: This is the only thing missing from the current performance car revival... Win on Sunday and sell on Monday !

What would be interesting is to see how a 100% stock "off the showroom floor" Viper TA would due in this Le Mans race against the GTS-R and the rest of the series field? Sure it would be up on power, but down on aero and braking capacity, etc. What better way to gain real racing fans, manufacturer exposure and bring the racing back down to the people than with actual cars that are available on the street. If the Viper is going to be handicaped by air restrictors, this and that, then offer the alternative of bringing a showroom fresh model to the race. It was practically designed for that purpose anyway. I am sure SRT, Corvette and a few others would jump at the opportunity. To put the millions of dollars into the effort only to be hancuffed, slapped around and belittled for 24 hrs makes zero sense. The rules if they need to have them, need to be even across the board, not penalized based upon some europeon standard. Want it to be even and fair, dyno test each car motor and build restrictors off of that model not because of actual CID. Only the French would come up with a way to outlaw and penalize someone with a big one!

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^The GTS-R would blow the doors off a TA..just sayin. Look at Monterey times for a benchmark. GTS-R=1:24.163 TA=1:33.62

Weight is the enemy...stripping out the interior and all the unnecessary bits off a TA and throwing on racing slicks would make it a lot closer...

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess the question of the day is:: Did SRT sell some Vipers with this race effort? I think its a big deal for Viper to be making a factory racing effort and I suspect it will trickle down to car sales. There is certainly a lot of 'interest' in the racing community and the GTS-R gives the Viper a lot of street cred. Bill can probably tell us if the GTS-R effort has boosted sales. I am sure it didn't hurt. It was a respectable effort, for sure. I would hate to see them pull out of ALMS. They should be campaigning hard for a bigger straw..

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But was the GTSR as restricted at Monterray as it was at LeMans? I realize it is a big difference in California, but racing slicks A/C delete, etc. it may be a bit different number at LeMans. Just saying!

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I guess the question of the day is:: Did SRT sell some Vipers with this race effort? I think its a big deal for Viper to be making a factory racing effort and I suspect it will trickle down to car sales. There is certainly a lot of 'interest' in the racing community and the GTS-R gives the Viper a lot of street cred. Bill can probably tell us if the GTS-R effort has boosted sales. I am sure it didn't hurt. It was a respectable effort, for sure. I would hate to see them pull out of ALMS. They should be campaigning hard for a bigger straw..

Sure the racing effort helps boost sales,but I think that's just a small percentage when it comes to people that actually pay attention to these races, or racing in general. What really killed the new Viper IMO was that first ZR1 vs new Viper comparo by Motor Trend ( Laguna Seca) When the old ZR1 killed it. It was bad. That and the bad things Randy Pobst said about the car in the beginning too. The drama afterwards with Ralph was like throwing salt to an open wound..

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Weight is the enemy...stripping out the interior and all the unnecessary bits off a TA and throwing on racing slicks would make it a lot closer...

The TA ran a 1:30.*** with dunlop slicks. Still 6 seconds slower. Weight reduction might save a second , two tops. The Dunlop slicks are not as fast as the Michelins run by ALMS and Randy Pobst was not driving like it was a professional race weekend. If you gut the car, add some more aero you may be able to close the gap to 3-4 seconds. After that you need a sequential and some of the secret sauce that SRT has undoubtedly put on the car. The GTS-R is also significantly wider, so you'd need a widebody.

Don't forget the GT-S R is running a restrictor so it's handicapped heavily, well under 500 hp. There is a lot of development that goes into these cars that make them so fast. You can't bolt on and reproduce that.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heard from a super secret source, deep within SRT, that they are in serious negotiations with the Stig to drive in next years LeMans effort. He drove the Viper to the top of their leaderboard on the un-official Top Gear track, and his skill is undeniable.

Some say his nervous system is internally spliced into the Venom Controller, others say he is even faster than the most interesting man in the world, but for now he may be the fastest personal available to wring out the GTS-R to take home the bacon.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21