What do you track rats do for not so "cool"ant temps??

Dion Fisher

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you track rats do for not so \"cool\"ant temps??

My needle just wants to push it's way up to 250 when the car is driven aggressively on the track.. Need advice from those whom race in 80+ degree weather...

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: What do you track rats do for not so \"cool\"ant temps??

A larger radiator is by far the best thing for keeping the Viper cool.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Easiest, and cheapest way to reduce temps, is to reduce revs. V-10 has lots of low down torque, and the engine heat soaks rapidly at high revs. If you keep your car down in the torque curve you will still be fast, run cooler. Save the +5000 RPM stuff untill you really need it. This way you can run stronger later into the run when others are pushing their temp needle into the red zone. Try short shifting down the straights, and get back on the gas sooner off the corners.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have a friend selling a Fluidyne Radiator for about $500, only 600 miles on it in perfect condition. E-mail me if interested.

WCKDVPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Dion,

I've now run four of the Viper Days events in CA and just recently got back from Spring Mountain. With a Fluidyne radiator, Water Wetter, etc in the car at the CA events I was seeing 230-240 degrees on the track. I just installed the Sean Roe Front Bumper Fascia Cooling Duct kit before Spring Mountain and the car ran just past the third "near vertical" line on the gauge.
http://www.roeracing.com/index.html?token=1523668780-488438438-294640860&A=3&B=Cooling

I then blew a radiator hose off due to clamp failure and subsequently did not get all of the air out of the system. Three laps later it was right back to 240+ degrees.

Though I hated to cut the hole in my fascia, it was well worth it for the cooling factor and I can't stress enough the importance of having all the air out of the cooling system.

I hope this helps. Good Luck.

OP
OP
D

Dion Fisher

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the info, shaving of the revs (been there done that) dosen't sound like much fun I like to stay right in the meat of the powerband
smile.gif

So Cal Rebel i'm interested and will be in touch...

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dion,
I was at TH in the blue group with my 65 shelby and a lot of people were complaining about hot water/oil temp.

Remember, it was very windy, meaning low density air and also with a north/south wind, we had it behind us in the long straight where we max out the engine.

That said Vipers always seems to run hot.

Beside all the other cooling tips, a good one is to remove the black plastic molding at the base of the windshield. (4 screws)
That will give the hot engine air a way to escape.

Luc.00GTS

OP
OP
D

Dion Fisher

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Weird, made a reply post earlier but it didn't show up for some reason..

Anyway thanks for the input which is just what I suspected.. I need a better radiator and more airflow..

I don't know how to get your e-mail address So Cal Rebel so if you'd drop me an e-mail i'd appreciate it, I want that radiator..

OP
OP
D

Dion Fisher

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hmmm, very cool luc i'll do that next time..

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dion-
I noticed the you have an early GENII (judging by paint scheme). Have you upgraded your fan yet? In late 98, the fan unit was upgraded to provide an increased pull through the radiator. If you don't have the upgrade yet, it's a must. Give us a call on
Tues. and we can ship one up to you.

We also offer a COOL PACKAGE UPGRADE
cool.gif

It consists of the following components:
Fluidyne Radiator
180 Degree Thermostat
Silicone Radiator Hoses
Manual Fan Switch

In the next week or two, we will be announcing another upgrade that will hopefully be a Major Breakthrough in the war against heat! Stay tuned!

If you are interested, give me a call at 408.562.1000.
Thanks!
Wayne (LTHL VPR)

Paul Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Don't forget about your oil temp either. A set of Autometer gauges can also give you much more info, especially about your oil pressure after a few hot laps, than you get from your stock setup.

Here in Texas 80 degrees is sweater weather. They announced the temp at the track one day as 107 in the shade. Thank God we didn't have to drive in the shade...

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you need immediate lowering of engine temperature as opposed to all those future mods.Just turn the heater and blower all the way up.Hot inside car?Yep,make you think about hell.But it will make the motor run cooler. Bruce

OP
OP
D

Dion Fisher

Enthusiast
Reaction score

yep, already was doing that on track as well as running the fan on high while waiting in pre-grid by pulling the A/C clutch relay and then turning the A/C on but still not enough cooling..

I got ahold of the Fluidyne radiator's owner & "bought it". I'm going to order a '98 or newer fan and lower temp thermostat then possibly drill the (3) 1/8" holes in it's plate, get the manual switch, pull the lower windshield molding on hot days continue to burp the system as I always have and add water wetter hopefully that will be enough..

bounce.gif
LOTS of good info guys THANKS
bounce.gif
And thank you Ken Adelberg for your insight in the e-mail you sent.. See ya' at T-hill next year..

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm not sold on the lower temp thermostat. At the track all it does is begin the cooling process sooner. Racing temps will stay in whatever range they were before the 160 thermostat. On the highway it's a different story. I have a large radiator and 160 thermostat in #34. Many times at night or in rain, the car will run at 160. However, the car was designed to run at a higher temp. I would leave the stock thermo and install the larger radiator.