What Does He Do For A Living???

Silver_Snake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well.... the few times I have been asked "how much did it cost?", I simply reply "I had to trade my BEST horse for it !!"
:drive:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly, it doesnt sound like your financially ready for a Viper yet. Get a GOOD job 1st and get some senority built up, so you'll at least have some job security before dropping $30k+ on a Gen 1. I think you're really young (under 18?), so you have PLENTY of time to achieve a lot more in your life and be better prepared to own a Viper :thumbs:

Chad- I remember not so long ago you were unemployed and still decided to keep the Viper... and look at you now... you're a President! :2tu: :rolaugh:

phantred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper's might be in the same price range as Escalades, and Mercedes, but those are practical every day drivers. Owning a Viper is a luxury, a weekend type driver, and 2nd or 3rd car. It also costs more to maintain. Someone might be able to afford a $50k SUV but that doesn't mean they can afford a $50k Viper.

Beat me to it.

In today's world, a 50k or even 30k viper looks cheap when you look around and see that everyone is driving 30 to 50k suv's. Especially to people who own them, like us. On top of what need1 already said about owning a second, non daily driver luxury car with more expensive maintenance, you have to remember that a lot of people can't 'afford' even the SUV they are driving.

Making the payments is one thing, but we all know affording something is a whole nother animal. I'm especially aware of this because of my age, which surounds me with people who are absolutely ******** when it comes to finances and big ticket popular items like cars.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I am asked how much I paid for the viper I tell them "If you have to ask how much it costs then you can't afford it " The same goes for how do you afford the gas for it. When they ask what I do for a living I tell them ' I am semi ********"!

Robbie

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I am asked how much I paid for the viper I tell them "If you have to ask how much it costs then you can't afford it " The same goes for how do you afford the gas for it. When they ask what I do for a living I tell them ' I am semi ********"!

Robbie

If I may..

You might take a moment to think about how that answer is received by the average enthusiast or awe-struck spectator. I realize for many, the "how much did it cost" type question is a personal one that is borderline distasteful, but your choice of reply strikes me as incredibly arrogant, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was a real conversation ender. I'm not bashing, it's just an observation from a third party who hates to see people turned off to the Viper Nation.

Respectfully,
Kelly

Last edited:
V

Venomiss

It really doesn't cost a thing to be nice to people who are admiring your car.
But it may cost you business or reputation in the future if you have a catty remark.
Leave your remarks in the trunk and think about this.

You may just inspire someone you don't know to become a Viper owner and perhaps use goods or services related to Vipers. What goes around comes around.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well said, Mary!!! We absolutely love when we get acknowledgement about the Viper, questions can be answered any way you want to, as long as you stay professional about it all....we are always courteous, as we would want others to be...we've stopped people in places to see their OWN cars (true though, we've never asked how MUCH the car was!!)...and admired their own vehicles even in the Viper...so they KNOW that we appreciate other cars as well. Heed Venomiss's advice...it's very good, and so true.
~juli~

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Over heard my neighbors this morning doing there normal walking, and what astounded me was the fact that they were asking themselves " what does he do for a living?" as they were looking at the rt/10.I hate nosey neighbors time to move.:mad: I say you only live once and enjoy the short time you have on this earth!!!:2tu:

Well if you decide to move, dont forget to call your local realtor. :D

By the way, what part of Middlesex county are you in?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It really doesn't cost a thing to be nice to people who are admiring your car.
But it may cost you business or reputation in the future if you have a catty remark.
Leave your remarks in the trunk and think about this.

You may just inspire someone you don't know to become a Viper owner and perhaps use goods or services related to Vipers. What goes around comes around.

Well said. Besides it's not like it's some secret what Vipers cost, new or used.

I remember 30 years ago standing in front of a Ferrari and asking the guy what he did for a living. I wasn't being nosey, I was inspired.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got gas tonight, two young men maybe 20-21 years old immediately approached and wanted to know about the car. I encouraged them and told them that I do my own maintenance on it and explained some of the things that non-mechanics can do to save money. They were both very pleased and had their girlfriends not been waiting, I would have let them sit in the car and told them never to stop dreaming.....hopefully in a few years we'll have two new VCA members who remember when they first got bit by a Viper and how it changed their life. I LOVE CARS....its why I drive a Viper and sharing that love through conversation about cars, not just my Viper I believe is my responsibility to our hobby/love so that we don't end up with teenagers thinking a Yugo or a Pacer is a cool car and the next trendy thing. Its a personal choice and not for everyone...sometimes we all wanna be left alone, but who knows when chatting about cars will lead to a "barn find" that I will change my life like the Viper did.

Regards,
Aaron

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aaron--Totally agree with you, that was great that you do that also--same here, we've done that and let the teens sit in the car, and they're always 1) blown away by the CAR, then 2) blown away at our generosity...what does that hurt to encourage our young people, you are so right!!! We also will stop when WE see someone else's car they treasure (doesn't matter what it is, we, like you---LOVE cars)....and they sometimes can't believe we are asking THEM about THEIR cars when we pull up in the Viper, but we're TRULY interested in theirs, we've met so many friends now who own many types of vehicles, but because we all have the interest, love of cars, the passion, we see nothing wrong with talking with people, no, we don't choose to be left alone...ASK ASK ASK!!!
Thank you, Aaron, for the being the open, friendly guy that you are, you ARE inspiring people. ~juli~

V

Venomiss

It's good to know that others like Julie and Aaron enjoy their Viper and help others to also enjoy it. We have a polaroid camera in our Viper trunk for just such occasions so we can give people a picture of themselves sitting in our Viper.:)

Kelly made a good reference when mentioning turning people off from the Viper Nation.
When you drive a Viper people notice and they remember what kind of comments they get for a response when inquiring about the car. Yes Chuck, inspiration is our middle name at this house of Viper.

Simply remember it's a DODGE......:drive: :drive: :drive:

Mary

Need1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't seem to get as much attention in the Viper as you all, maybe I'm just too ugly! lol

I remember once pulling into the gas station in the Aston Martin Vantage (06) and start pumping gas when this truck pulls up behind me, and the guy says "We've been following you for miles, that is my sons favorite car!!" I told the guy to let his kid out, pulled him over and let him check out the car, sit in the driver seat, start it up, kid was ecstatic - Dad says "You've just made my sons day!!"

Feels good when that happens. No reason to be arrogant about it...

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment Juli & Mary, I never thought of the polaroid idea; that's a great one!

Same here, Mary--never thought about a polaroid, instant pics! :cool: We always have the digital, but yeah, to GIVE to the kids who sit in the car--brilliant idea--thank you!
I'm so glad to hear that you also do this...and I DO want to make a point----we ONLY let teens or small kids sit in the Viper after asking them to PLEASE remove any keys or metal hanging off their pants/clothes. Had one guy let a kid who unknown to him, had keys out of his back pocket, needless to say----HOLES in the front seat!! We teach them to respect the vehicle, and they in turn, respect us as we've respected them. Amazed how many small kids REALLY love this car!!! And, hey Need1--awesome you did that in your Aston Martin--VERY cool car!!! :2tu: ~juli~

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I may..

You might take a moment to think about how that answer is received by the average enthusiast or awe-struck spectator. I realize for many, the "how much did it cost" type question is a personal one that is borderline distasteful, but your choice of reply strikes me as incredibly arrogant, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was a real conversation ender. I'm not bashing, it's just an observation from a third party who hates to see people turned off to the Viper Nation.

Respectfully,
Kelly

Very well said, and I have to agree 100%

RichieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got gas tonight, two young men maybe 20-21 years old immediately approached and wanted to know about the car. I encouraged them and told them that I do my own maintenance on it and explained some of the things that non-mechanics can do to save money. They were both very pleased and had their girlfriends not been waiting, I would have let them sit in the car and told them never to stop dreaming.....hopefully in a few years we'll have two new VCA members who remember when they first got bit by a Viper and how it changed their life. I LOVE CARS....its why I drive a Viper and sharing that love through conversation about cars, not just my Viper I believe is my responsibility to our hobby/love so that we don't end up with teenagers thinking a Yugo or a Pacer is a cool car and the next trendy thing. Its a personal choice and not for everyone...sometimes we all wanna be left alone, but who knows when chatting about cars will lead to a "barn find" that I will change my life like the Viper did.

Regards,
Aaron

It is easy to be a **** but we were all dreamers when we were younger. I like your style Aaron. Great post:2tu:

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When asked how much my car costs, I respond by stating what a similar car could be purchased for and also what it costs new. For those of you who get asked if your dad bought you your car, continue to enjoy your youth and don't get upset.:cool:

DrDJ

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO this is a legitimate question and all you have to do is answer it. Some save their money for years to own a Viper and some buy them from pocket change. I've been a street rodder for years and when they ask about my cars I answer the questions. Maybe it will get them in Our hobby or Club. One thing I try to stay away from and REALLY gets me is the Guys with their Nose in the Air with "It's MY Viper" attitude. The nose up turns more people off and gives the Vette and Viper clubs a bad rap. Keep the nose down and be helpful and answer the questions honestly. Most are curious and not trying to case the garage to steal your glory.:) :2tu:

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
' I am semi ********"!

Robbie

Is that what the first "R" stands for in your user name? Never knew!:rolaugh:

You know walking around telling people you can't afford it is not going to get you high praise. You tend to be a target towards vandelism and give other Viper owners bad names.

I always carry a digital camera with me and let people sit in it and take pictures and then email them. They love it and it makes for a better experience for all.

People will always talk about you not matter what. Part of owning a nice car that attracts a lot of attention. Just be polite about it.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Robbie

So you not only smart off at someone, but you also say you are semi-********, not knowing if someone in that person's family is mentally and/or physically challenged? Please sell your car and quit embarrassing us. That may be the stupidest remark I've heard coming from a Viper owner when talking to Viper fans :mad: I would say buy a Vette, but I doubt they'd want you owning a Vette and making them look bad either.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always carry a digital camera with me and let people sit in it and take pictures and then email them. They love it and it makes for a better experience for all.

People will always talk about you not matter what. Part of owning a nice car that attracts a lot of attention. Just be polite about it.

AB: We also take pics with our digital camera and email them, but Mary had a good suggestion with the instant pics for the little kids. Glad you got the 'good' Viper attitude as well. ~juli~
BTW: How's the SL55, if that was decided, coming along for ya??? Would love to see pics of what you decide!

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Robbie

Noticed that your a VCA site sponsor in your sig. After a comment like this, I for one would choose not to do any business with you. It's too bad that just one comment like this can turn potential customers off. :(

I can't count how many folks told me growing up that I'd never be able to afford a viper, this kept me motivated and focused, along with a few nice viper owners, kind enough to let me take pictures and take me for the occasional ride, which kept the dream alive for me. Now only in my early 20's I have my viper....who would have figured as much.

How others perceive you and what you say can have a big impact..you might consider changing your responses to curious people interested when they see your car.

gringoray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My response has always been "never married, no kids." They seem to understand after that.

This is a classic response from Chuck and I agree with this strategy 100%. I say the same thing - 'No kids, never married' and seems to work everytime. :2tu:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a classic response from Chuck and I agree with this strategy 100%. I say the same thing - 'No kids, never married' and seems to work everytime. :2tu:

We'd say, been there, done that!! :rolleyes: Married, had the kids----both of us now enjoying each other's company AND the Viper!!! :2tu: Nothing wrong with having been married, having had the kids...but glad that's all behind us now!!! :drive: ~juli & mike~

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan from Ohio,

I just turned 37 on Tuesday, dream BIG!!!!!! Dreams do come true.

Which Viper are you dreaming of owning, there are now so many choices? Color, stripes?

Regards,
Aaron

94BlackSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you, Juli. I too, AM married and have a beautiful 9 yr old kid....AND a gorgeous Viper. There's is nothing wrong with having it ALL! My daughter has a blast riding in the car and her classmates go crazy with the car when I pick her up from school in it! It has sorta become the school mascot.